Table of Contents
- 1 Recommended List of Gearwrench Tools Reviews for 2020
- 1.1 #1. GEARWRENCH 81230F 4 Piece Full Polish Flex Handle Ratchet Set
- 1.2 #2. GearWrench 9312 13-Piece SAE Master Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 1.3 #3. GEARWRENCH 44 Pc. 12 Point Long Pattern Combination SAE/Metric Wrench Set – 81919
- 1.4 #4. GEARWRENCH 239 Pc. Mechanics Tool Set In 3 Drawer Storage Box – 80942
- 1.5 #5. GearWrench 84939N 1/2-Inch 6 Point Metric Universal Impact Socket Set (15 Piece)
- 1.6 #6. GEARWRENCH 80066 Phillips/Slotted/Torx Dual Material Screwdriver Set, 20 Pc
- 1.7 #7. GearWrench 80583 13 Piece E Socket Set
- 1.8 #8. GEARWRENCH 9416 16 Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 1.9 #9. GEARWRENCH 85066 1/2″ Drive Micrometer Torque Wrench
- 1.10 #10. GEARWRENCH 8940 40 Piece Ratcheting Screwdriver Set
- 1.11 Gearwrench vs. Snap-on
- 1.12 Gearwrench vs. Craftsman
- 1.13 Gearwrench vs. Husky
- 1.14 Gearwrench Tools Warranty
- 1.15 Who makes Gearwrench tools/who owns Gearwrench?
- 2 In Conclusion
Gearwrench had built an empire of hand tools since they’ve launched themselves back in the early 1990s. To date, they’ve gone through some back and forths. But mechanics can still relate to Gearwrench products and tools.
On that note, we’ve been on a mission to create Gearwrench Tools Reviews and as well as Gearwrench vs Snap-on vs Craftsman vs Husky that covers the most frequently used hand tools. If you are a fan of Gearwrench tools and looking for some top recommendations from their inventory, this post solely crafted for you.
Recommended List of Gearwrench Tools Reviews for 2020
Here’s the recommended list of Gearwrench Tools we reviewed for you.
#1. GEARWRENCH 81230F 4 Piece Full Polish Flex Handle Ratchet Set
- Designed to provide added leverage with patented low profile and performance head
- Features 6 flexible head positions for extreme access and 84 tooth gear system for improved strength
- Comprises tear shaped head for better access
- Low profile, teardrop head
- Flex Head
#2. GearWrench 9312 13-Piece SAE Master Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 72 tooth, ratchet only five degree swing to move fastener
- Fully polished
- Surface drive box end
- Lifetime manufacturer's warranty
- Includes 13 standard length combination gear wrenches and molded wrench rack
#3. GEARWRENCH 44 Pc. 12 Point Long Pattern Combination SAE/Metric Wrench Set – 81919
- Off corner loading design on open end: stronger grip, reduces fastener rounding, up to 25 percent more torque
- Off corner loading design on box end for better grip and reduced fastener rounding
- 15° Offset box end for better access
- Large size stamp on open end
- Made of premium alloy steel
#4. GEARWRENCH 239 Pc. Mechanics Tool Set In 3 Drawer Storage Box – 80942
- Included Components: "3 Ratchets 7 Extensions 24 Combination Wrenches 22 Long Arm Hex Keys Bit Driver With 23 Bits 11 1/4" Drive Standard Sae Sockets 13 1/4" Drive Standard Metric Sockets 10 1/4" Drive Deep Sae Sockets 11 1/4" Drive Deep Metric Sockets 21 3/8" Drive 6 Point Standard Sae Sockets 17 3/8" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Sockets 11 3/8" Drive 12 Point Standard Sae Sockets 17 3/8" Drive 12 Point Standard Metric Sockets 7 3/8" Drive Deep Sae Sockets 11 3/8" Drive Deep Metric Sockets 15 1/2" Drive Standard Sae Sockets 13 1/2" Drive Standard Metric Sockets 2 Spark Plug Sockets"
#5. GearWrench 84939N 1/2-Inch 6 Point Metric Universal Impact Socket Set (15 Piece)
- Flex socket design provides more access to fasteners in tight confines
- Chrome molybdenum alloy steel (Cr-Mo) for exceptional strength and durability
- Off-corner loading design for reduced fastener rounding
- Manganese phosphate finish to resist corrosion
- High-visibility laser etched markings provide quick size identification
#6. GEARWRENCH 80066 Phillips/Slotted/Torx Dual Material Screwdriver Set, 20 Pc
- Ergonomic tri-lobe dual material handle provides the optimal balance of strength and efficiency
- “Speed Zone” handle design for faster rotation in low-torque applications
- Dual material handle offers a more comfortable grip and higher performance
- Non-Slip black oxide tip for more secure fit in fastener
- Blades laser etched with part number and size for quick identification
#7. GearWrench 80583 13 Piece E Socket Set
- Heat treated for durability
- Black oxide coating
- Hard stamped markings provide quick size identification
- Use with hand ratchets or breaker bars
- Socket rail included
No matter you’re a mechanic, handyman, carpenter or just a hobbyist workman, you need to have a set of e sockets all the time. To provide you an all-in-one solution, we would like to call our first pick, the GearWrench 80583 13 Piece E Socket Set on the podium.
Its 13 pieces set of highly durable, heat treated e sockets. There are four different sizes in total, with 13 different Torx rating. For micro to macro- these will assist you in every step of handymanship.
We will explain to you the features and specs in details below-
Features and Benefits
13 Pieces of Sockets with 3 Size Variations
There are three different size variations of sockets in the set, and the sizes are ¼, ⅜ and ½. That being said, there are 13 different pieces with Torx grade of E4 to E24. To be precise, the pieces are of- E4, E5, E6, E7, E8, E10, E12, E14, E16, E18, E20, E22, and E24 Torx.
Heat Treated Socket Bases
All 13 of the socket bases that we’re talking about come with supreme strength and durability. Reason? Well, they forged and heat-treated continuously. Even on a heavy workload, they are promised to provide you service for years ahead.
Maximum Bit Retention with Patented Holding Design
Gearwrench- the producer patent the holding mechanism and design. The unique technology will force the bit surface to the opposite side with sufficient force. As a benefit, you will get maximum bit retention while working.
Impact Resistive Side Rail Design
If we have a closer look at each of the sockets of the set, you will get to see a slide rail system. Each of these slide rails is made to be impact resistant while working. As an obvious benefit, you will get to work with them with impulsive force, and nothing will happen to them.
Chrome Finish for Resistance against Tear
There are many socket sets in the market, which are just high in the number of pieces, but low in quality. But these are pretty fine exceptions. You have seen previously that, they all come to be heat treated. On top of that, they also feature chrome made finish. Resultantly, they will hardly tear off or get affected by rust or grease. You can get them in use for years.
A Clip Rail to Hold the Sockets
When you have 13 different sockets in one place, it’s quite likely that one or two may get lost in the absence of your concentration. Gearwrench had been well aware of that. And therefore, they have provided a clip rail to hold all the sockets safely and securely.
Available in 1, 2 or 3 set
The model we’ve selected for pick up in this list contains two socket sets that are identical to each other. For professional handymanship, two sets are essential, as long as the regular workload is concerned.
But if you want to move one step further, there is a 3-pack set available. On the other hand, there is also a 1-pack set available.
#8. GEARWRENCH 9416 16 Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 72 tooth ratcheting box end needs a minimal 5° to move fasteners vs. 30° for standard wrenches
- Off corner loading design on box end provides better grip and reduces fastener rounding
- Pass thru technology works down any length of threaded rod and long bolts
- Thin head and beam provide greater access in confined work areas
- Size conveniently stamped on both ends of the beam for quick identification
Ratchets are no doubt, one of the most frequently needed tools for anyone who works with tools and machines. But there are many purposes to use them, and each of these purposes requires different sizes of ratchets.
To reduce you from spending extra bucks after purchasing different ratchets individually, we’ve got the GEARWRENCH 9416 16 Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set. As the name suggests, it has acquired 16 different pieces of ratchets, sizing from 5 degrees to 30 degrees.
Apart from the rich collection of ratchets, there are some more essential specs of this product that we want you to acknowledge. So, keep reading the following sections-
Features and Benefits
Small Fasteners to Big Wrenches- It Covers All
As we’re talking about it earlier, there are 16 different ratchets in the set. The small one is 5 degrees in size, which can be used to move small fasteners. And the largest one is sized as 30 degrees, which can be used to move standard, big-sized wrenches. In between, it has an equal interval of sizes. It’s a complete solution with every size you need while working.
High-Quality Material with Chrome Finish
Apart from the sizes, it’s rich in materialistic strength as well. The core material used to manufacturer these ratchets is a standard steel alloy. A virtue of such material is, it will hardly bend or get scratched, even on most massive of the workload.
Apart from the insider material, the topcoat made of chrome finish. As you know, chrome finished materials have their reputation for standing against rust, water splashes, grease or any other liquid or semi-liquid elements.
Off-Corner Loading for Better Grip
Instead of conventional grip, each of these ratchets includes an off-corner grip inside. These teeth will undoubtedly provide a stronger catch when it comes to moving fasteners. Also, it reduces the fastener rounding by a significant amount.
Sleek Design to Access Tightest of the Spots
The place where you are about to apply these ratchets can be either wide and spacious or narrow. In the case of wide workpieces, you don’t need to put an extra effort to hold the objects.
But when it comes to tight and narrow spots, most of the conventional ratchets seem to struggle. But the sleek and slender design has put this GEARWRENCH 9416 16 Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set into a different zone. With proper placement of any of these ratchets, you should be able to work on even tightest of the spots.
A Wrench Locket Container
Finally, when you have to carry all the ratchets all together, there is a convenient locket carrier. You can safely put them all into the locket, and carry wherever you want.
#9. GEARWRENCH 85066 1/2″ Drive Micrometer Torque Wrench
- Accurate in Clockwise direction +/- 3% from 20% to 100% of full scale
- Color: Black
- Manufactured in China
Gearwrench has its goodwill to provide mechanics with budget-friendly tools with ample attention to details. One excellent example of such a combination is the torque ratchet that we are talking about.
Features and Benefits
+/- 3% Clockwise Accuracy
When it comes to a delicate tool like micrometer torque wrench being accurate with minimal system loss is a major fact. This micrometer torque from Gearwrench has a +/-3% clockwise accuracy when you are working within a wrench capacity of 20% to 30%.
30 to 250 ft/lbs Torque Range to cover
The range of torque this ratchet can provide is from 30 to 250 ft/lbs. Starting from micro-level tightening works to dealing heavier workpieces, this range will check every box.
Thin Profile and Teardrop Head Design
It’s not an unknown fact that the head is the most crucial part that you look up in a torque wrench. The head of the model we’re up to right now is pretty much sleek and robust. The thin profile, sealed and teardrop head will provide you easy access to the work spot.
Pull Adjustment Collar
Another significant portion of the ratchet is its pulling adjustment collar. So, what is the benefit of it? You need to go through several torque frequency adjustments when working at a stretch. This pull adjustment collar will come in help at that point.
Highly Visible, Stamped Scale
To stay updated with which torque measurement you’re working with, there is a highly visible scale stamped on the head section. To be specific, it in on the beam and thimble collar. You can identify the right tool with pretty much ease with the help of the scale.
Knurled, Aluminum-anodized Handle
To make sure that you can hold and grip the ratchet with comfort, the handle made of the aluminum anode. It will serve you with two benefits. First, you can hold the handle with pretty comfort. And second, it will reduce fatigue to a significant level.
Midpoint Marked for Accuracy
If you have a closer look at the picture of this ratchet, the midpoint will show up with a mark. It’s an intentionally done mark to point out where the center of the ratchet is. While operating, this gives you a hand to be more accurate with the works.
ISO 6789 certified
The design of GEARWRENCH 85066 is certified by ISO 6789. This is another indicator of how it can be useful and convenient when it comes to micrometer operations and tightening micro-level fasteners.
#10. GEARWRENCH 8940 40 Piece Ratcheting Screwdriver Set
- GearDriver uses a variety of interchangeable shafts and handles for improved access to hard-to-reach fasteners
- 45 tooth ratcheting handle provides 8° swing arc delivering added strength for tough applications
- Ergonomically shaped handles help reduce hand fatigue, and reinforce grip
- Handle functions in ratcheting, reverse ratcheting, and non-ratcheting modes for more versatility
- Oil and solvent resistant dual material handle provides a longer tool life
The fourth pick of this review is the GEARWRENCH 8940 40 Piece Ratcheting Screwdriver Set. You will get to see driver shafts, ratchet handles, and some additional accessories. For fastening, shaping and tightening jobs, this set will come to be super fruitful.
Along with 40 different pieces of items, there is a safe and compact package to hold them all. Let’s get into the box and check out what else we’ve got inside-
Features and Benefits
Fine Tooth and Ratcheting Arc
Ratchets are all about detail mechanism, and the tooth and ratcheting arc are the two significant parts of the mechanism. The GEARWRENCH 8940 contains a set of ratchets which have a fine tooth for ultra-strong fastening.
Along with the tooth, the ratcheting arc is made to be perfectly fine. On top of that, the interchangeable shafts will allow you to find the right ratcheting arc for the right job.
Dual Udometer Grip for Comfortable Handling
The handles are state of the art designs in this set. It’s made to be contoured with a dual Udometer. The plus point of having an Udometer is, it provides adequate safety. Even while implying a high amount of torque, the handle won’t slip off or lead to any accidental misplacement.
3 Handles for 3 Different Purposes
In the set, there are three different ratchet handles to perform three kinds of operations. There is one standard gear driver handle, one gear driver t-handle, and 1 short gear driver handle. With such a good variation in size, you can move forward for any fastening or tightening works.
Dual Driver Shafts
There is a couple of magnetic bit driver shaft and another couple of socket driver shaft. The first kind of driver shaft is 3-½ inches and 6 inches in size. And the second drive shaft set contains one 3-½ inch and another 6 inches of the socket driver shaft.
Reversible Ratcheting Mechanism
There are tons of ratchet sets like this available in the market. But what mechanics often look for in a ratchet set is a reversible ratcheting mechanism. The good part of this set is, it comes with one. You can, and it’s quite easy to use as well.
A Molded Case for Safe Handling
There are 40 pieces of items in the box, and it’s impossible to keep them organized until you have a carrier made for these items only. Gearwrench understands that and provides a molded black case for that purpose. Carrying all these 40 pieces together won’t be an issue anymore.
Gearwrench vs. Snap-on
Gearwrench is a brand for mechanic’s hand tools with a luxurious product line. No matter it’s for the mechanics, automotive technicians and industrials, Gear Wrench has got tools for all.
In the catalog of Gearwrench, they have tools for automotive vehicles, cutting tools, impact tools, measuring tools, lighting tools, drive, and ratchet tools and so on. You can purchase Gearwrench directly from their website, or third-party e-commerce websites like Amazon.
On the other hand, snap-on is another industry-leading tool manufacturer. They have products like tool storage, hand tools, power tools, and diagnostics tools and so on. They mainly focus on the electronics area instead of the hand tool and power tool zone. So, we can say Snap-on is a favorite electronics brand.
Gearwrench vs. Craftsman
Craftsman is a product line with an array of home, garden and mechanic’s tools. Sears is the parent brand of Craftsman in the early days. But these days, it’s owned by Stanely and Decker. Eventually, Stanely and Decker is also a supplier of Husky tools at Home Depot.
On the other hand, Gearwrench named initially and owned by KD tools. And eventually developed a product lineup of commercial-grade hand tools. Many of the products that they manufacture are patented and have their brand value.
Here’s a list of Best Craftsman Tools on Amazon.
- Save space in your tool box by replacing dozens of wrenches with this Craftsman 7 pc. standard universal wrench set
- The set's universal tooth design fits six different types of fasteners - 6 or 12 pt hex, 4 pt square, external torx, spline and 6 pt partially rounded hex
- The wrench sizes are 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 and 11/16inches
- Lengths range from 4.4inches to 8.69inches
- Each has a 15-degree angled head
- Set includes: 1/4 and 3/8in ratchets, and 3/8in extensions,
- 5 adapters, 10 1/4in drive Inch sockets, 9 1/4in drive metric sockets, 9 3/8 in drive inch sockets,
- 10 3/8in drive metric sockets, 1 hollow shaft handle
- and 10 screwdriver bits
- Full Lifetime Warranty, refer to "Warranty & Support" section below for full details
- Large markings for quick socket identification
- 72 tooth ratchet for minimal arc swing
- Full polish chrome finish for corrosion resistance
- 12 point socket for quick engagement with fastener
- Durable blow molded case allows for easy tool storage
- Large markings for quick socket identification
- Black oxide finish for corrosion resistance
- 6 point socket for increased torque with fastener
- Meets or exceeds ASME specifications
- Full Lifetime Warranty, refer to "Warranty & Support" section below for full details
Gearwrench vs. Husky
Husky tools were initially introduced commercially in the market by Sears tools. Later on, Home Depot took over the brand and enhanced its product lineup. There are some brands from which Husky Tools are manufactured in these days. The list contains Western Forge, Stanely, and Decker, Apex tools, etc.
In the comparison of Husky Tools and Gearwrench Tools, there are many odds and evens. First of all, Gearwrench quite an evolution itself with some patents and innovations. And the Husky tools are after re-innovating their old product line up.
Gearwrench Tools Warranty
Gearwrench has confidence in the built quality of the products that they manufacture. They are likely to provide a lifetime warranty. Although the product is offered by Apex Tools, as the products are sourced from them by Gearwrench.
By the way, if the products are modified, disassembled or reassembled, the warranty scheme doesn’t work anymore. That’s a policy that most of the tool manufacturers offer.
That being said, we’ve seen people who’ve claimed warranty for Gearwrench tools to be very satisfied with the customer service and return policy.
Who makes Gearwrench tools/who owns Gearwrench?
Apex Tool Group is the manufacturer of all the Gearwrench tools and accessories. Apex Tool Group has its manufacturing setup in the USA previously, and now the production unit had been shifted to China and Taiwan.
Ironically, Gearwrench products are also manufactured in China and Taiwan and have the same built quality as other groups who outsource products from Apex Tool Group. In the list, there are Craftsman and other renowned brands as well.
Read more detail here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question #1: Gearwrench tools any good?
Answer: Yeah, as long as the responses and experiences of the vast user base they have. No matter its delicate fastening tools or large scale automotive tools, they keep themselves up with optimal product quality.
Question #2: Is Gearwrench made in the USA?
Answer: Gearwrench tools are sourced from Apex Tool Group. Apex group used to manufacture tools previously in the USA. But for several purposes, they are sourcing their products from China and Taiwan. So, Gearwrench products are now made in China and Taiwan.
Question #3: Where to buy Gearwrench?
Answer: Gearwtrench products are available both offline and online. In the case of the offline purchase, you can visit retails stores near to your locality. In case you want to avoid the hassle, you can visit their website or e-commerce platforms like Amazon, eBay, etc.
That’s a wrap for today’s Gearwrench tools reviews. All of the three picks that we’ve showcased today are pretty much regular essence of every mechanic or handyman. As long as you have a deep trust in the brand value of Gearwrench, you can go for any of these tools.