Best Framing Nailers
A framing nailer is a tool that is used as a brilliant substitute for a hammer, used to drive nails into different surfaces. This increases efficiency and saves enormous time. When you are working as a professional, efficiency is a must, and if you are a hobbyist, still this is a vital tool for your home garage. Usually, best framing nailers are used on a surface like wood. It resembles a gun and features different types of magazines.
Usually, a framing nail gun is driven by compressed gas. If you are using a hammer to do that same job, you will have to hit the surface repeatedly, and that takes longer to finish the job. With a framing nailer, the same job is a matter of seconds. Read the benefits of a framing nailer. So now you see regardless you are a professional or an avid DIYer, the best framing nailer will save your time and energy.
As you have landed on this page let’s assume that you are looking for the best framing nailers to purchase. This is really important to know about a framing nailer before you go to buy, particularly if you are the first time buyer. Otherwise, you will end up getting something that does not match with your type of works. There is no single best product on the market. The modern technology has made all the devices very much user specific. Here in this article, we will give you a review of 10 best framing nailers in the market. See the best framing nailer brands.
This review segment will be followed by an ultimate buyers’ guide to the best framing nailers. There is something we always recommend our visitor, is to research. If you want to get the best product for you, you have to do research online. This is truly a time-consuming process, but that is not wastage of time. Also if you don’t have the time or if you are not interested in research your own, we have the review segment from where you can choose the best framing nailer for you. In that segment, we have justified our review, how we brought the products and other criteria.
Best Framing Nailers Comparison Chart (Budget Category)
Photo Model Power source Magazine Capacity Angle Buy now NuMax SFN64 Air-powered 100 pcs Straight finish nail Buy on Amazon
BOSTITCH F21PL Cordless-electric 60 nails 21 degree Buy on Amazon DEWALT D51257K Air-powered (Pneumatic) 100 Straight Buy on Amazon Hitachi NR90AES1 Air-powered 64 nails 21 degree Buy on Amazon PORTER-CABLE FR350B Air-powered 60 nails 21 degree Buy on Amazon
Best Framing Nailers Comparison Chart (Expensive Category)
Photo Model Power source Magazine Capacity Angle Buy now Paslode 902600 Battery-powered (Cordless) 48 nails 30 degree Buy on Amazon
Freeman P4FRFNCB Air-powered various various Buy on Amazon Hitachi NR83A3(S) Air-powered 64 nails 21 degree Buy on Amazon Paslode 501000 Air-powered 2 strips (up to 84) 30 degree Buy on Amazon Bosch SN350-20F B Air-powered 73 nails 20 degree Buy on Amazon
Best Framing Nailer Review
We have gone through an overwhelming number of framing nailers in the market. We reviewed them considering the features those are most important, then we shortlisted the best framing nailers. We found the best value for prices, premium features, safety features, performance and other important functions. We are firmly considered the feedback from the users while making the list. There is no single best framing nailer in the market, we mentioned earlier. All the products we will discuss here are great. You just need to find the right one for you, according to your own requirements. Let’s have a look.
BOSTITCH F21PL Round Head 1-1/2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer with Positive Placement Tip and Magnesium Housing
- Compressor/Air tool feature: Fastener collation, Fastener Depth control
- 1 ½ inch to 3 ½ inch framing nailer
- 1050 PSI driving power
- Both sequential and bump trigger
- Integrated rubber skid pads and rubber grip
This Bostitch round head framing nailer is one of the best you can purchase. This hugely popular tool is famous for its versatility. Bostitch is the name that is synonymous with quality and durability in the industry of home improvement. This extremely lightweight framing nailer is made of magnesium. With 10501 psi of driving power, this quickly drives nails through engineered lumber. This is a pneumatic framing nailer, so it needs an air compressor to provide the power.
With a rubber grip, this framing nailer allows the user to keep a tight grip on the tool. A button controls the depth adjustment. The nose piece is interchangeable that allows you to switch between framing nails to metal connector nails. This is like having two nail guns in the same unit. This has two triggering options, sequential and bump. The layout indicator, located right on the magazine, helps to gauge the distance between studs. The ergonomic design is another impressive feature of this framing nailer.
Despite the lots of positive impressions, there are few drawbacks as well. One is the trigger. The continuous fire mood is a little difficult to trigger. The framing nailer is noisier than many other framing nailers of its category. The beefy look of the great nailer has made it tough to use in a tight space. And for this price, the best framing nailer should come with a case, but it does not have any case. These are minor faults we believe. You can use Bostitch F21PL round head framing nailer for both small home projects and professional workshops. All the amazing features have made it one of the best framing nailers you can purchase. Read our Bostitch F21PL Framing Nailer Review.
Paslode 902600 CF325Li Lithium-Ion Cordless Framing Nailer
- Cordless framing nailer, uses a fuel cell, no compressor needed to run the machine
- Light, portable, easy to use
- Consistent power on every shot
- Compact design for better style and balance
- Enough power to drive nails into wall and roof sheathing and floor decking
Paslode is one of the great brands available and has been serving its clients with exceptional home improvement products. Paslode 902600 is one of the best framing nailers. If you prefer a cordless framing nailer, this one is the ideal option for you. This is a very lightweight machine, yet very durable. The magazines are quite easy to load.
The battery power is impressive you can charge it for a short time like 2 minutes and then have the capacity of driving 200 nails. This nailer needs 1 hour to get charged fully and then it can serve you for non-stop 5 hours. This comes with an option of locking the battery in the standby position. It comes with a depth adjustment facility that allows you to fix the bottom of your nails. It comes with a well-designed case that can accommodate the framing nailer, the battery, the charger, the Allen key, spare battery, etc.
Now let’s talk some negative. The depth setting needs to set up the depth separately for different materials, and that is a time-consuming job. This is also a noisy one like the previous one we reviewed. The nose size is larger than the average size and that is why it ‘s hard to make the precise shot. Despite the minor drawbacks, this is one of the best framing nailers. In some places where power is an issue, or it ‘s hard to carry the compressor, this is a great solution.
Hitachi NR90AES1 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Plastic Collated Framing Nailer
- Lightweight and well-balanced design assure maneuverability and less user fatigue
- New head guard design for quicker disassembly during tool maintenance
- Selective actuation for quick changes between sequential and contact nailing with a flip os a switch
- Tool-less depth adjustment
- Two pieces anodized aluminum magazine for easy repair and replacement
- Two steps nail loading easy and quicker reloads
- Rubber grip for comfortable handling and secure using
Hitachi is another world famous brand for producing exceptional models years after years. This is probably the best framing nailers by Hitachi and of course one of the best framing nailers in the market. This is a very lightweight framing nailer, only 7.5 pounds. The rubber grip is there for easy and comfortable handling. That fits very well in your hand. Regarding the ergonomic design, this is one of the best framing nailers.
The magazine is replaceable. Everybody knows that if you drop a framing nailer from a high height, 99% chances are there that the nailer ends there. In this model, the feature of a replaceable magazine has made drops harmless in most circumstances. The adjustable depth option allows you to change the depth setting very quickly. Unlike the previous two models we reviewed, the noise is very low for this Hitachi NR90AES1.
There we found few complaint from the customers. When used under intense heat, the jamming happens quite frequently. This does not work very well in hot weather. But this is not a common problem that everyone mentioned. Another drawback is there is no rafter hook included with this fantastic framing nailer. A rafter hook is a handy feature, but of course, it’s not a deal breaker. And that is why despite these minor drawbacks, this is one if the best framing nailer available in the market. For more detail, you can read our Hitachi NR90AES1 Framing Nailer Review.
NuMax SFN64 Straight Finish Nailer 16 Gauge
- Top loading, straight magazine
- Quick jam release for easy clearing
- 10- 110 psi operating pressure
- Tool-free depth adjustment
- Dust cap for keeping the tool clean
- Padded grip for comfortable handling and use without fatigue
This is a very smart purchase for those who are looking for a great pneumatic framing nailer in a budget. This is one of the best framing nailers for small home projects and DIYers. You can purchase this lightweight framing nailer at a very affordable price. The user-friendly operation and sturdy build have made it one of the most popular options.
This framing nailer is very handy and light. The tool-free depth adjustment tool allows you to adjust the depth. The overall design of this framing nailer tends to be used in home projects. The compact size makes it very convenient to use in tight spaces. You can carry this around with you without feeling fatigued. The dust cap keeps your framing nailer clean.
What are the drawbacks? We found some negative feedback from the users regarding the pressure sensitivity. This can be solved by using a regulator with the compressor. There is no other major issue we found from the client feedbacks. The compact design and the affordable price as made it one of the best framing nailers for home uses. This is a smart purchase if you are looking for something great on a budget. We have another NuMax Framing Nailers Review for you.
DEWALT D51257K 1-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch 16 Gauge Finish Nailer
- Sealed lube dual tech: Motor works as an oil free and oil lube unit
- Tool-less depth adjustment, jam clearing, 360-degree exhaust
- Equipped with a low profile no-mar for accurate and easy nailing
- Sequential triggering
This is a great machine tool from Dewalt that has been serving its clients across the world with exceptional quality home improvement tools. This is one of the best framing nailers by Dewalt and of course one of the best framing nailers in the market you can purchase. This is a very lightweight nailer. This is famous for accurate and easy nailing. With a sealer lube dual technology this allows the motor to work as oil free and oil lubricated unit.
The nails are fired in a sequential trigger mode. It features tool-free jam clearing and tool-free depth adjustment for making it more user-friendly. This can be used both for large and small projects. So if you are one of those, who are looking for lighter but powerful framing nailers, this is one of the best framing nailers for you.
This is a popular tool. When we were trying to find the negative feedbacks, we could not find any general complaint there. All the complaints were related to that particular unit of the product. That refers to the poor quality control. Otherwise, it is a great purchase.
PORTER-CABLE FR350B 3-1/2-Inch Full Round Framing Nailer
- Very lightweight but sturdy construction
- Tool-less adjustable depth
- Operating pressure of 70 – 120 psi
- Magazine can hold up to 60 round head nails
- Tool-less adjustable exhaust
This is a great tool from porter-cable. This pneumatic framing nailer can be powered by virtually any seized compressor. This is designed to drive nails at anywhere between 70- 120 psi. Nailing at anywhere less than this power is not recommended because that is not just enough to do so. The aluminum magazine can hold up to 60 nails at a time. the drive depth can be adjusted without any additional tool and that makes it very easy to use.
The grip is very comfortable to handle. It offers the user to use this framing nailer for quite a long time without getting fatigued. The trigger of this tool can be locked; this is a handy feature. IT lowers the risk of misfire and accident. The adjustable air exhaust port is at the rear of the main drive housing. The port can be adjusted without any tool, and this is done by moving the exhaust into any of the detent angles that are pre-configured.
Talking about drawbacks, there are not many. The manufacturer says that the gun works with 22 degree collated nails, but we found that it works at 21 degrees. Another problem is the size. This is not heavy, but bulky. This is why the nail is not very easy to handle and maneuver. Overall this one is a great power tool and of course one of the best framing nailers that you can buy. Here you can read our Porter Cable FR350BR Framing Nailer Review.
Freeman P4FRFNCB Framing/Finishing Combo Kit with Canvas Bag, 4-Piece
- A set of 1 full head framing nailer, one angle finish nailer, one brad nailer with quick release, one narrow crown stapler with a quick release.
- Anodized aluminum magazine can hold up to 100 nails at a time, framing nailer can hold up to 55 nails
- Quick jam release
- Na-mar pad to prevent surface damage
- Adjustable 360 exhaust port
- Finger depth adjustment
Unlike the previous ones we have reviewed this is a set of four different tools. With this combo you are getting four separate framing tools, stapler, brad nailer, finish nailer and framing nailer. The low-pressure compressor can drive all the instruments. The entire combo comes with a warranty of seven years and that refers to the quality of the product you are getting. Each of the machines is very lightweight and easy to use.
The magazine of the framing nailer can hold maximum 55 nails, and the magazines of three other tools can hold maximum 100 nails. This assures efficiency going through faster working. The anodized aluminum build makes the combo highly durable and very lightweight. The stapler, brad nailer, and the finish nailer feature quick release mechanism. The biggest impression is the full kit of the tool and its versatility. That had made this combo a part of the best framing nailers review.
If you ask for the cons, there are not that many noticeable drawbacks. The depth dialer is not very sensitive; therefore getting precision setting might be a little hard. Some customers have complained about the misfire. The finish nailer comes with a rubber tip, this is not a great feature as it leaves marks on the wood. This is very undesirable but you can easily over the tip and get over the issue. Overall it is a popular choice with great features and deserves its place on the list of best framing nailers review. Don’t miss our Freeman PFR2190 Framing Nailer Review.
Paslode 501000 F-350S PowerMaster Plus Pneumatic Framing Nailer
- Powerful framing nailer with adjustable on-tool depth of drive
- Lightweight and well balanced for easier handling and maneuverability
- Designed for all weather use
- Both sequential and bump triggering
This is another very lightweight framing nailer from the Paslode. It can drive the nails through engineered lumbers; also it is suitable for framing and sheathing fence to the building. This pneumatic framing nailer is designed both for professional users and hobbyists. This gives you a choice of two different triggering options. The design and the construction of the framing nailer are very impressive. It is so balanced that you will feel like almost holding no tool at all. The compact design is not bulky and very easy to use even in a tight space. The built-in depth gauge is adjustable easily for more power by turning a small dial. The rafter hook is a handy feature.
Talking about the drawbacks, the first time you use the built-in depth adjustment; it needs some time to feel it. You will need some time to get used to. Otherwise, there is no other issue. Overall it’s a great tool and of course one of the best framing nailers in the market.
Bosch SN350-20F Full Head Framing Strip Nailer
- Metal strike plate- designed to take the job-site abuse and positioning the lumber
- Tool-less adjustable air exhaust
- Quick release magazine allows removing the jammed nails quickly without disassembling the tools
- Tool-less selectable triggers allow switching easily between bump and sequential fire
You have heard about Bosch if you are handling tools for even a little time. This is a world famous brand of quality tools. The Swiss engineering and ingenuity offer always high-quality tools for its clients. This is one of the best framing nailers. This incredibly powerful tool is very lightweight and it provides ultimate productivity with excellent efficiency. This is very lightweight with great balance. This minimizes the fatigue during work.
This is built to withstand the wear and tears, and that has made this very durable in any weather. The adjustable air exhaust can simply be changed without the use of any tool. This means minimal downtime during work. The air filter cleans the machine itself and assures longevity of the framing nailer. It features both sequential and bumps firing mode, and they can be switched in between easily without any tool. The quick release magazine is another handy feature.
The overall design is fantastic, but some customers have complained about the size. It comes with no case that is another drawback. Otherwise, this is a great power tool. This is very popular, and the users seem to be very happy with the performance.
Hitachi NR83A3(S) 2 Inch to 3-1/4-Inch Plastic Collated Full Round Head Framing Nailer
- Features two pieces steel magazine for ease of replacement
- Rubber grip for enhanced comfort
- Hardened aggressive toenail push lever resists wearing for prolonged life
- Lightweight and well balanced for easy handling and maneuverability
This is a framing nailer that is being used by professionals and hobbyists for many years. This features a two-piece steel magazine that is replaceable if it’s damaged. The depth adjustment is there to determine the extent of driving a nail. There is a switch near the trigger and using the switch you can quickly change the fire mode from single-fire to sequential fire.
This framing nailer is particularly famous for its durability. The great industrial quality is one of the most excellent features for its long popularity. It has hardened aggressive toenail push lever that resists wear. It features an anti-slip a grip that makes sure that the handle is comfortable to hold and it does not slip while working. The ergonomic design of this framing nailer will give you a feeling that you are not holding anything at all.
Talking about drawbacks, there is not many. But few customers complained about the particular unit of the product hey received. This refers that the quality control has some issues. Other than this, Hitachi NR83A3 is durable and well-built framing nailers. Regardless you are a professional carpenter or a hobbyist DIYer; this can be a smart purchase for you.
Types of Framing Nailers
Considering the basic construction there we find three types of framing nailers in the market.
- Pneumatic framing nailers: This is one of the best types of framing nailers. There is an air compressor that delivers the pressure to the piston through a hose to drive the nail into the materials. This is more efficient than the other types. This is famous for its versatility. If can perform various kinds of jobs like fence building, tying up sheathing, nailing down sub-flooring and so on. If you are targeting a large project, this will be the best option and will work as a loyal assistant of your job.
- Cordless framing nailers: This is almost as like as the pneumatic framing nailer. The only difference is that it does not have any built-in hose with it. It rather has a removable compressed gas canister that gets power from a battery. The limitation is you cannot drive as many nails that you can do with a pneumatic framing nailer. But you can frame up your construction without connecting the hose. This is best for those who want lightweight tools and don’t like dragging weighty compressor.
- Electric framing nailers: As the name suggests, an electronic framing nailer is powered by electricity. There are two types of electronic framing nailers, corded and cordless. They are smaller in size and best for smaller workspaces. The corded nailers are stronger than the cordless ones. This is quicker than the other types of framing nailers. If you are carrying a cordless one then you will need an extension to move around the machine.
Cordless vs Pneumatic Nailers: What’s the best choice?
How to Choose The Best Framing Nailers
Every type of framing nailer is designed for specific types of job. They have their advantages and disadvantages. You have to figure out which one works best for your kind of work. Say, if you are professional, then you have to choose something that is capable of completing big and heavyweight projects. If you decide something with limitations, then it will be a trouble. If you need to perform small-scale in-house jobs, then the heavyweight pneumatic framing nailers with compressors will be just wastage of money. The purpose of this article is to assist you choosing the best framing nailers according to your need.
You have to ask yourself before you purchase something, why you need that product. This is what we refer our visitors to start from the ending. Think of some task that you are doing with the framing nailers. If they are small tasks, like hanging some painting on the wall or you want to sling up some tools in your garage, you might not even need a nailer. So this is all about personal preferences that will determine which one you are going to purchase. But there are some obvious considerations that you must think of if you want to get one of the best framing nailers for your job.
- Trigger type: The framing nailer’s triggering mechanism is a very important consideration. There are a number of options available in the market. Some of them come with a single trigger, some come with multiple triggers. Basically, there are two popular types of triggers, sequential and contact. The first one requires you to press the trigger, as well as depress the tip of the gun against the work surface to fire the nail. The other types of nailers fire as soon as the top comes in contact with the work surface. The sequential triggers are safer than the contact triggers. It’s better to choose something with multiple triggering options so that you can select the right type when you need that.
- Depth adjustment: Look before you purchase if the framing nailer is featured with depth adjustment. Some of the models come with a built-in gauge on the nailer itself. Some of them need additional attachments to adjust the depth. This depth adjustment helps you to determine the extent up to which you want to drive the nail on the work surface. The more pressure it will get the deeper it will go.
- Air pressure: If you are planning to purchase a pneumatic framing nailer, and you already have a compressor, make sure that the nailer is compatible with the existing compressor. Each framing nailer has a specific air volume (CFM) and air pressure (PSI) requirements. Is the nailer is incompatible with the compressor, it will not function properly. Even if you are purchasing them together, make sure they make a good pair. Also, you should consider the air pressure you are getting is enough to perform the type of work you are going to do.
- Types of nails: This is important because the nail type you are using in the framing nailer will affect the kind of work you can do. Many building codes only approve round headed nails, instead of clipper-head nails. The fact is there are many nailers that can accommodate different types of hails, and there are many nailers that can help only clipper-head nails. So make sure that you are choosing the right kind. If you end up buying a clipper-head nailer and then you see that the project you are working in does not approve clipper-head, it will be a trouble. Some nailers feature magazines those are long and hold two sets of bonded nails. Other nailers use a coil of nails around a ring magazine. With a standard framing nailer you can drive 6d, 8d, 10d, 12d and 6d nails.
- Magazine type: There can be two different types of magazines, stick, and coil. The capacity of stick magazine is less than the size of coil magazine. But the sticky magazines ensure more even weight distribution and therefore better balance. In a stick magazine, the nails come in long strips wherein the coil magazines the nails are joined together with wires and organized in flexible strings.
- Weight: Look at the weight carefully while choosing the best framing nailer. Usually, the cordless nailers are lighter than the pneumatic framing nailer. If you are working in tight spaces, then you should go for lighter framing nailers. A framing nailer that is made of magnesium and aluminum alloy is usually light. They are weightless, very secure and prevent overheating.
- Additional features: Apart from the features that we discussed above, there are other features. To eliminate the jam of nails in the magazine, there is quick release option. Some may have a 360-degree exhaust port that drives the surface particle away from the user. There might have air filters to assure seamless functionality of pneumatic nailers. Another important feature is the quick jam clearance. It is a must-have for any user. This is extremely helpful because that jam can be really painful. This jam clearance feature can save a lot of time. There should be some safety features. The safety features can avoid serious injuries due to the improper use of framing nailers. So those features are essential to assure safety for the people working around you. The interesting part is almost all the top framing nailers have an amazing power supply, lightweight construction, support a wide variety of nails. So in most of the cases, the final decision will be made depending on these additional features. So look for them carefully, to get the ultimate best framing nailer for you. See our top 5 Pro-Roofing Nailers Review.
Framing Nailer Safety
This is a very useful tool for different kinds of building and remodeling. But an unfortunate fact is every year there takes place a lot of injuries due to this machine. To be more specific, the accidents are not due to the machine, they are due to improper use of the device. However, there are two main factors that are responsible for most of the injuries. One is inadequate training and another is the trigger factor. The trigger can be especially dangerous when you are using the bump nail option.
You must have proper knowledge about the triggers to avoid injury. You must know how they work. If anyone fires a double fire unintentionally, damage can occur. If space is too tight to adjust, it can cause severe injury. Resting the finger on the trigger is a common habit of nearly all carpenters. This can cause damage. Inappropriate placement of the tip of the nailer can cause injury. Improper grip or a slippery handle may also cause an accident. Now you know there are many ways you can hurt yourself if you are not careful. Many of the workers are not careful about the safety and they consider the additional security gear an inconvenient. So they more or less disable the safety feature or remove the safety add-ons.
A fully sequential framing nailer is much safer than the other models. This allows the nailers to discharge the nails only when the trigger is pressed. It may make you slower, but that is even better than a trip to the hospital. Before starting using a machine tool like this, you should get proper training. You must go through the user manuals provided by the manufacturers. Follow the procedure while working. If you are not clear about anything, consult with an expert. Do not use the framing nailer near flammable materials. Wear safety glasses, a hard hat or helmet, thick boots, proper clothes. These things are important for the safety of everyone working around.
Framing nailers are great tools. We have discussed the safety is a segment above; if you are careful you can easily avoid chances of injuries. It is really important to choose the best framing nailers for your work. As we discussed earlier, some are specifically designed for a type of task. If that is not compatible, you are going to be in trouble. The total money you will spend for that will be wastage. This is something you will not change or replace soon after purchase. So we recommend you to research to find the best framing nailers you can buy. This article will help you with the necessary information about the best framing nailers.
No matter what is the purpose of purchasing the best framing nailer, you will get at least one of your type above in the review section. Make sure that the investment you are making is a smart one. One very important consideration that we intentionally skipped above is the budget. Technically this is the most important factors. If you have a strict budget, then choose the framing nailers within that budget and then considering the other features, choose the best framing nailers among them. If the budget is flexible then always make sure that you are getting the best value for the purchase. Otherwise, there will be trouble ahead with the framing nailer. Happy shopping!