Table of Contents
- 1 Impact Driver vs Impact Wrench
- 1.1 Impact Driver and Impact Wrench (video)
- 1.2 How We Wrote This Review?
- 1.3 Functions
- 1.4 Pricing
- 1.5 When to Use?
- 1.6 How to use an Impact Driver?
- 1.7 How Does an Impact Wrench Work?: Impact Wrench Uses
- 1.8 Impact Driver Adapters
- 2 Best Corded Impact Wrench Comparison Chart in 2020
- 3 Latest Reviews
- 4 Best Cordless Impact Wrenches Reviews for changing tires/automotive 2020
- 4.1 (Editor’s Choice) DEWALT DCF899HB Brushless High Torque Impact Wrench
- 4.2 Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+ Cordless Impact Wrench
- 4.3 Makita XWT08Z LXT High Torque Square Drive Brushless Cordless Lithium-Ion Impact Wrench
- 4.4 Milwaukee Impact Driver Fuel 2-Tool Combo Kit
- 4.5 DEWALT DCK240C2 20V Impact Driver Combo Kit/Lithium Drill Driver(1.3Ah)
- 4.6 Ryobi One+ P236 18V one/ 4 Inch 3200 RPM Cordless Impact Driver
- 4.7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Verdict
DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. I WILL ONLY EVER PROMOTE THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT I TRUST AND 100% RECOMMEND.
In this research article, you will get a detailed idea about Impact Driver Vs Impact Wrench differences: What’s the Best.
When it comes to loosening large nuts or corroded screws and bolts, the entire process demands technicalities and some necessary tools to have an efficient operation.
Before impact drivers popularity, as DIY”ers we had two options for power wrenching or driving. One was the torque wrench and another one was the quality electric drill. This is why the impact wrenches and drivers come in very handy in 2020.
It can be quite troublesome and tedious to work with stray pieces or in tight spaces. Related professionals and mechanics encounter these issues due to their nature of work which is why the basic knowledge of these tools is necessary even for just a household man.
Impact Driver vs Impact Wrench
Impact wrenches tend to be bulkier, heavier, and more powerful before they have more powerful torque than the impact drivers. The wrenches made for fastening and loosening sockets because of the use of a square drive, while the drivers used for driving screws and a hex drive.
However, with a simple adapter, you can convert an impact driver into a half-inch square drive which will then allow you to use it with other socket drivers.
Impact Driver and Impact Wrench (video)
How We Wrote This Review?
In our review, we took into considerations that impact wrenches & drivers are necessities in automotive garages and reputable fabrication shops. Therefore, we chose pro-quality selections to make sure that we got the best tools for generally everyone.With ideas from users, product expert, and researchers, we made sure that the devices we review can also be used for people with home garages as well.Click To Tweet
We selected the tools concerning their purpose and power. We know that the difference can be critical depending on the application, environment, and urgency. When there are so many wires all over the place, the last thing anyone would want is to add is more cables mixing in there. This is why we made sure that the tools were portable, run on battery, and learn on a limited power battery.
The pricing of an impact driver or an impact wrench determined by some of the primary considerations like the torque rotating the bolts, nuts, and other related equipment. For instance, the impact driver delivers a high amount of torque compared to an impact wrench which means that based on this alone, the pricing may vary based on the power.
Size is also a dominant factor when it comes to weighing the prices of the two tools. The impact wrenches and impact drivers come in different sizes which means that the pricing is also different. The power source as well determines how costly or cheap the impact wrench or impact driver will be.
When to Use?
Do I need an impact driver or impact wrench? Well, when it comes to the uses of these tools, they may vary. For instance the impact driver in most cases it’s used for doing lag bolts as well as screws stuff in wood construction to a certain extent. The impact driver comes with a hex connect a socket that makes the connection easier and quicker.
The impact driver often used as a tool that’s one-handed which is why it is perfect for replacing a cordless drill because it’s convenient to use and it also does a good job. The impact driver compared to the impact wrench, comes in just one size.
The impact wrench, however, comes in different sizes and mostly used by those with many mechanical tasks and complex tasks like timber bolting.
How to use an Impact Driver?
Based on your requirements, the first step should be to pick the right impact driver and select a suitable bit that will fit into the hex-shaped screw head. The hex-shaped head allows you to tighten the nuts because the head grabs the bolt correctly.
It is essential to make sure you have a tight grip especially if you have a Power tool to avoid it from tripping from your hands. After that, proceed to fix or to tighten the screw or nut you want to adjust. Once you do, turn on the impact driver to turn on the power supply from the socket.
After which the impact driver continues to loosen or tighten the target. It makes moving on to the next one quite easy and navigable.
How Does an Impact Wrench Work?: Impact Wrench Uses
Sometimes the screw head may be too stripped or the lug nut too tightly in place such that a regular wrench may not allow you to have a good grip. The good news is that the impact wrench gives you the power to grip the hard-to-turn bolt with additional force.
It has air or electric motor that allows you to apply an intense and sudden twisting motion to the lug nut in short bursts, about five seconds. The fierce bursts will enable you to loosen or tighten the ball with ease. This means that you can use the impact wrench to either disassemble or assemble projects.
It is a pneumatic impact wrench because it is either powered by electricity or air allowing it to provide immense torque making it a high-grade and professional impact wrench. It is easier and lighter to use.
An electrical impact wrench, however, delivers enough punch for those looking to DIY. You can put in your car in case you need to change your tires because of the electric use.
Impact Driver Adapters
- Material: chrome vanadium steel. Chrome vanadium steel suitable for heavy duty impact drivers. Spring loaded ball bearings on each square head securely and locks into sockets to avoid slippage during using.
- This set is perfect for your impact driver or drill, and allows you to replace your ratchet with a power tool. The 1/4" hex shank fits all quick change chucks as well as standard drill chucks.
- Suitable for a screwdriver or electric screwdriver handle tools (hexagonal hole or three-jaw chuck can) drive sleeve and after use can be installed on the size of the original hexagonal polygons converted to square head size, which can be used to install the sleeve is a good accessory to convert.
- 8pcs 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" CR-V impact socket adapter Sizes: 4 pieces of 1/4 inch drives, 2 pieces of 3/8 inch drives, 2 pieces of 1/2 inch drives. Compatible with power drills and screwdriver handle tools.
- Suitable for quick change 1/4" chuck systems or directly into drill chuck. Change your hand socket set into a driven socket set.
Impact driver adapters allow similar flexibility of the impact driver in driving and drilling capabilities. It comes I different lengths depending on the model impact driver you choose. It can also use for installing the sleeve which tends to be a useful accessory regarding conversion. It also allows you to replace the power tool from a ratchet.
Like every other tool, impact drivers and impact wrenches should never be left anywhere in the open especially is kids are running around.
Safety and Security
Serious precautions should take when storing the tool to avoid unnecessary accidents. Keep them high up on your shelves or hook them somewhere you can easily spot them. If you have extra space in your storage unit, it would be best to store them there. Keep the impact drivers and wrenches within reach but away from children or elders.
10 Important Safety Rules
#1. Regular Maintenance.
#2. Need regular inspection before using any impact driver or impact wrench.
#3. Use the perfect tool for an excellent job.
#4. Should follow the manufacturers’ guidelines.
#5. Use the right Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
#6. Must use guarding.
#7. Before cleaning, servicing, and changing any accessories, you should never forget to disconnect the tools when they are not in use.
#8. If you are carrying a plugged-in device, Don’t try to hold the switch button.
#9. Always keep your tools clean and sharp.
#10. Remove damaged impact driver or impact wrench and write a tag: “Do Not Use.”
Best Corded Impact Wrench Comparison Chart in 2020[go_pricing id=”cordedwrench”]
(Top choice) HAMMERHEAD HDIWO75-7.5 AMP IMPACT WRENCH
- 240 ft. lbs Torque - Powerful 7. 5-Amp motor delivers 240 ft. lbs of torque for removing rusted-on or over-tightened lug nuts and bolts
- 1/2 Inch Anvil -1/2 inch square drive with friction ring for secure socket retention and easy socket changes
- Speed - 2, 200 RPM and 2, 700 IPM quick and efficient to fasten and loosen bolts and nuts
- Rocker Switch - Forward and reverse rocker switch for intuitive two-finger operation
- Metal Gearbox - Superior durability and robust performance
This impact wrench is our top pick (corded) because it will allow you to make fast work of tough jobs. It also comes with high-torque applications like heavy equipment maintenance and automotive repair making it more versatile than its competitors. It also features a motor 7.5-Amp that delivers the torque of 240 ft-lbs for use in the heavy-duty applications.
This is a value for its money and is designed for both professional contractors as well as homeowners looking to DIY.
Best Cordless Impact Wrenches Reviews for changing tires/automotive 2020[go_pricing id=”cordlesswrench1″]
(Editor’s Choice) DEWALT DCF899HB Brushless High Torque Impact Wrench
- Brushless Motor for superior performance; Tool length 8.81 inch
- Power tool type cordless; Heavy duty impact mechanism with max torque 700 feet/ pound, breakaway torque 1,200 feet /pounds
- 3 speed selector switch for control
- LED work light; No load speed : 400/ 1200/ 1900 rpm
- Able to handle a 6ft drop
This impact wrench is best to pick (cordless) on our list because it has proven to be useful in every category. I have a reputation for customer satisfaction and durability. Besides DEWALT offering quality tools, this wrench is compact, durable, and very forceful. If you work in small and tight spaces, this impact will be best suited for you because it allows you to get into smaller areas.
This wrench can allow you to twist bolts and nuts in half the time you usually even the nuts have sat outside for like twenty years. It has the amount of power that will allow you to quickly strip them away with an automotive application. It is best for people looking for a long-lasting impact wrench to fit in their small spaces and still have a useful looking tool.
Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+ Cordless Impact Wrench
No products found.
If you prefer rugged DIY, Ryobi P261 impact wrench is specially designed for you. It is also perfect for those in construction sites looking to install lag bolts into their woodwork. It easily removes the lug nuts from the automobile as well.
Can be used to remove lug bolts in an automobile as well as woodwork making it perfect for those who prefer a lot of DIY projects. It is also reasonably priced making it a value for your money.
Makita XWT08Z LXT High Torque Square Drive Brushless Cordless Lithium-Ion Impact Wrench
- BL Motor delivers 740 feet pounds of Max Torque and 1,180 feet pounds of breakaway torque
- 3 speed power selection switch (0 900/0 1,000/0 1,800 RPM & 0 1,800/0 2,000/0 2,200 IPM) provides precise fastening control
- 1/2 inches anvil with friction ring for quick and easy socket changes
- The BL Brush less Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL Motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- Efficient BL Brush less motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for upto 50 Percent longer run time per charge. Impacts Per Minute: 220
For a long time, the Makita tools have been used by professional mechanics because of their value for money, and they are easy to operate. It is a tool that designed for multiple applications which makes it perfect for those looking for a massive duty tool to add to their collection.
This tool offers you extended battery life and improved performance that will make working much more comfortable and enjoyable. It can be powered by compact Lithium-Ion batteries and Makita 18V LXT to increase its versatility.
Milwaukee Impact Driver Fuel 2-Tool Combo Kit
- Hammer drill/driver's POWERSTATE Brushless Motor delivers 1200 in. lbs. of peak torque and up to 2000 RPM for faster drilling speeds.
- Impact driver's POWERSTATE Brushless Motor delivers 1800 in. lbs. of fastening torque for faster driving speeds.
- REDLITHIUM XC 5.0Ah batteries provide powerful performance.
- REDLITHIUM battery technology offers superior pack construction, electronics and performance to deliver exceptional work per charge and work over pack life.
- Includes 2704-20 1/2 in. hammer drill, 2753-20 1/4 in. hex impact driver, two (2) REDLITHIUM XC 5.0 batteries, M12-M18 multi-voltage charger, (2) belt clips, (2) bit holders, side handle and carrying case.
This combo is best for those looking for an impact driver and cordless drill set. This model is well worth the price based on its specifications and features. It is all you need to work on various and just about any job site. It offers dependable performance because it features rechargeable batteries.
This combo kit will allow you to quickly avoid stuff like stripping screws because it gives you control of the tool. It is capable of ripping through cement making it one of the dominant tools out there. With an approximately eight hours of battery life, it is also highly reliable.
DEWALT DCK240C2 20V Impact Driver Combo Kit/Lithium Drill Driver(1.3Ah)
- Ergonomic Design: Lightweight tools designed to fit the user’s needs
- Increased Visibility: The DCF885 features a built in Led with 20 second delay after trigger release
- Includes: (1) DCD771 drill/driver, (1) DCF885 1/4 inches impact driver, (2) 20V MAX Lithium Ion 1.3 Ah battery packs, 20 volt MAX charger, and (1) kit bag
- 1 Handed Bit Loading: The DCF885 has a 1/4 inches hex chuck and accepts 1 inches bit tips, Power Tool Type: Cordless
- High Performance Motor: The DCD771 delivers 300 Unit Watts Out (UWO) of power ability completing a wide range of applications
If you are planning to buy an impact driver and a cordless drill together, this model might just be it. It has the torque, capability, and velocity to stand out. It bundled with a DCF885 impact driver and DCD771 cordless drill which is a significant advantage since you don’t have to buy the two separately. It is also a discounted version of the compact and drill driver. This is one of the best Amazon impact drivers we reviewed here.
This is one of the best products made by Dewalt because it mainly designed for use in the most terrible place. It is much power and more quickly compared to previous versions. It can drill 117 ft-lbs without any loading. It transmits 300 watts of power, and you can use the 16 clutch setting options to control the power around the neck.
Ryobi One+ P236 18V one/ 4 Inch 3200 RPM Cordless Impact Driver
- RUBBER OVERMOLD: A notched mold on the pistol grip allows you to keep a firm hold on this tool for improved accuracy, even in slippery conditions
- TRI-BEAM LED LIGHTING illuminates your workspace upon activating the trigger, letting you see where you work
- TOOL-FREE BIT CHANGING: Simply plug a bit into the chuck to lock it in. Pull the collar back to eject the bit into the palm of your hand
- MAGNETIC TRAY keeps fasteners and bits on the unit so you can have both hands-free for extra stability
- ONE+ COMPATIBLE: This tool is part of the One+ family of 18V power tools. This means that 18V Ryobi batteries, both lithium ion and NiCad, are compatible
This impact driver is known for its ability to easily sink fasteners with easy compared to other standard drivers. This model is one of the top performers if you like do it yourself tools this will be perfect for home improvement projects. With the speed of 320 impacts per minute, it will allow you to deal with even the most hardened nuts and bolts.
You can keep the speed of this impact driver low by swapping between either of the three options which are affected by a switch found at the rear of the tool. The magnetic tray adds more convenience to this impact driver. While working on a ladder, this tool allows you to work hands-free because you can hold the bits and the fasteners and still keep it on with a belt clip that’s onboard. It is indeed the height of comfort, convenience, and effectiveness for general contractors and homeowners.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1. Question: Can I use an impact driver on any concrete?
Answer: Yes! It surprises some of the mediums you can use on with an impact driver. Concrete is not left out in the list of items the driver can apply force and extra torque.
#2. Question: What is the dissimilarity between an impact driver and an impact wrench?
Answer: Besides the power of the two tools, there is not much difference. An impact wrench can do 3000 lbs upwards while impact drivers can go 1400lbs of torque.
#3. Question: What type of job requires an Impact driver?
Answer: Anything that needs fastening can make good use of an impact driver. Bolts, screws, and nuts, and other perfect candidates apply for the impact driver.
#4. What do you use an impact driver for?
Answer: I use my impact driver for removing screws, large lag bolts, and as well as installing giant timber screws.
When it comes to buying the impact wrenches and drivers that best suits your needs, make sure you take the required precautions and considerations before buying. Advancements in technology such as lithium-ion batteries and brushless motors will come in handy because it makes the tools easier to use and more versatile.
We hope in future you don’t need to ask anyone what’s the difference between an impact driver and impact wrench after reading our impact driver vs impact wrench guide. Now it’s time to choose the best one.