Table of Contents
- 1 8 Best Air Compressors for Roofing Nailer in 2020
- 1.1 #1. BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor
- 1.2 #2. DEWALT D55146 4-1/2-Gallon 225-PSI Hand Carry Compressor
- 1.3 #3. PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
- 1.4 #4. Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 hp running 1-Gallon Compressor
- 1.5 #5. Makita 2.5 HP Air Compressor
- 1.6 #6. Rolair JC10 Plus 1HP Air Compressor Review
- 1.7 #7. Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor Review
- 1.8 #8. Campbell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor Review
- 1.9 Before You Buy, What to Look for?
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 Question #1. Who makes the best air compressor?
- 2.2 Question #2. What is the best portable air compressor?
- 2.3 Question #3. What is the best jump starter with an air compressor?
- 2.4 Question #4. What size of air compressor do you need for a nail gun?
- 2.5 Question #5. What hoses and fittings do I need to buy for air compressors to use a nail gun?
- 2.6 Question #6. Who invented the first air compressor for a nail gun?
- 2.7 Question #7. What gallon-sized air compressor used for a nail gun?
- 2.8 Question #8. How big air compressor for a nail gun?
- 3 Final Words
DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. I WILL ONLY EVER PROMOTE THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT I TRUST AND 100% RECOMMEND.
Whenever your job site nailer gives up working due to a shortage of air, it feels ridiculously annoying, right?
Well, you won’t have to experience such a bitter feeling if you buy an air compressor.
Now, how do you know which one is the best option for you, since there are tons of awesome products out there?
The answer is, you go through the reviews of people who’ve studied those tools hard.
Oh, wait a minute; that sounds like us! Yes, we’ve spent an awful lot of time in finding the best air compressors.
Want to know if we’ve done a good job or not?
Then read on and see if we can be of any help in making a well-informed buying decision.
8 Best Air Compressors for Roofing Nailer in 2020
Let’s learn about the awesome products we were privileged to review.
There’s a fat chance that you are going to find the device you are looking for among them.
Here is the recommended and updated list of Best Air Compressors for Roofing Nailer we found for you on the market today.
#1. BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor
- Note:Item does not includes hose or gun kit
- 150 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM* delivered @ 90 PSI pump
- High efficiency motor for easy start up in cold weather ; BOSTITCH high efficiency motor for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application [14 ga or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA** operational noise level for a quiet work environment
- High flow regulator and couplers to maximize air tool performance
We couldn’t help but choose this amazing compressor to be on the top of our list for the incredibly small footprint it offers.
Yes, as a worker, you always cherish such an easy-to-maneuver device.
It has a lot of fancy features that will draw any buyer’s attention.
Firstly, you want to check out the PSI it comes with.
We are talking about 2.6 SCFM over here, which is way too impressive for a little device like this.
Also, considering the machine’s size, its tank is quite large, boasting 6-gallon capacity.
And the fact that there are 2 outlets makes this tool all too precious.
I loved how the machine manages to keep so amazingly quiet.
If you have experienced working with noisy compressors, you would appreciate this greatly.
Moreover, they’ve given it a very impressive recovery time so that you can work for extended periods.
The machine also has an outstanding duty cycle.
Yes, a 75% duty cycle is something you should be very happy about.
In this price range, you won’t find such a cycle in too many devices.
This model will be perfect for most of the regular jobs out there.
However, you might not want to buy it if the project is too demanding.
But, whenever there’s a need for a compressor to run small tools, this one will serve the purpose better than any other device.
#2. DEWALT D55146 4-1/2-Gallon 225-PSI Hand Carry Compressor
- 225 PSI max tank storage pressure provides a user with 80% more usable air than the industry leader; Tool Length : 33.5 inches
- 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI allows the compressor to recover quickly after its initial tank charge is exhausted
- vertical stand feature and collapsible handle allows a user to save space by transporting or storing the compressor in a vertical position
- 78 dBA operational noise level for a quieter work environment
- HORSEPOWER: 1.6 HP
If you are looking for a high-end tool that will offer incredibly high PSI, then this is the one for you.
I was astonished to find out that it has 200 PSI, something that very few machines will be able to build.
And you’ve also got to appreciate the quick recovery time it provides, which is only 22 seconds.
The machine comes with a 4.5-gallon tank to supply air for a big project.
And you will love the handles it comes with.
They will make it easy to do the job by being extremely user-friendly.
Thanks to these, you have one of the most highly portable devices in front of you.
Also, you will be amazed at the versatility this product has to offer.
There will be hardly any job that it will refuse to do.
Be it remodeling, trim carpentry, or roofing – it will serve the purpose wonderfully.
I was also ecstatic about the vertical stand introduced in it.
You will love this feature when there’s less space to store the device.
Also, the pump of this tool will impress anyone who’s looking for ridiculously fast recovery time.
And if you are worried about the safety of the model, you need to check out the roll cage along with metal console panel to put your worries at rest.
You want to buy the machine for any professional tasks.
It’s affordable and will do the job perfectly with the remarkable PSI it has.
#3. PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
- 150 psi max tank pressure stores more air in the tank for longer tool run times
- 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- Six-gallon pancake-style tank for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- Low-amp 120-volt motor starts easily in cold weather or with extension cord
- 150 psi max tank pressure stores more air in the tank for longer tool run times
This product we are reviewing comes with a ridiculously small body. One might underestimate its value by looking at the size of it. And how very wrong would he be? For, you will be stunned when the powerful motor of this little device takes charge. Yes, it will do the job fast, alright.
Now, what about the durability it has to offer? Well, I found the device to be brilliant in this aspect. You can use it for a good 45-minutes non-stop. All you need to do is allow it to have 15 minutes or so to cool down. Sounds fun, right?
I always like the models that have great tank capacity. And that’s why I loved this device. It has a 6-gallon capacity that will let you do some serious work. And the fact that it’s quite lightweight has also impressed me. Yes, if portability is your concern, you will find the product perfect for you.
One of the best things about it is that it’s made for cold weather. Yes, the homeboy won’t give up even if the temperature is too low. What’s more, it has two outlets to do more than one task at a time.
This will be the best option for you if the area you are residing in has a cold climate. The machine has this great tank capacity that will see the job done without any hassles.
#4. Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 hp running 1-Gallon Compressor
- Lightweight and portable--easy to carry from site to site as you work
- One horsepower peak ,1/2 horsepower runningand one-gallon capacity
- Ideal for a range of renovation and home improvement jobs, as well as for hobbies and crafts
- Delivers 20 to 44 drives per minute
- Backed by a one-year warranty
If you are looking for an easily portable machine, check out this compact one we are about to review. I was very happy to find out that it is lightweight. Now, do not let its weight make you underestimate the power of this device. It will rival those powerful machines on any given day.
I loved the design of this unit very much. Yes, who won’t find the rubberized handlebar to be impressive, right? Especially if you have to move around a lot with your tool, this is an excellent feature to have in place. Moreover, the small size of the device makes it easy to store.
Now, we’ve seen tanks that are bigger than the one this model comes with. However, you will be happy to know that it doesn’t take much time to recharge it. And the powerful motor it has compensates the low capacity of the tank very efficiently.
Among the best things about this model is its quick recovery time. We are talking about only 30 seconds over here. Therefore, you can get done with the job faster than you expected. What’s more, it doesn’t make too much noise so that you don’t get exhausted during work.
I recommend this product highly for folks who have to do light works. For I’m yet to see an affordable device like this to serve the purpose so wonderfully.
#5. Makita 2.5 HP Air Compressor
- Cast iron pump with Big Bore cylinder and piston is engineered to provide faster recovery time for improved performance
- Low AMP draw reduces incidences of tripped breakers at start up. The 4.2 gallon twin stacked tank sustains an operating pressure of 130 PSI, and delivers 40 PSI (4.8 CFM) and 90 PSI (4.2 CFM), enough for two nailers
- Pump is oil lubricated for cooler running temperatures and reduced wear. Built in thermal overload for additional motor protection. Compressor Oil (181122 A). 1/4 inches Universal Quick Coupler (447013 E)
- Roll cage construction provides complete protection to withstand extreme jobsite environments. Lever handle ball valve tank drain valve improves upon standard petcock design for easier maintenance
- Large automotive style industrial air filter for increased air intake and greater efficiency. Durable cast iron cylinder reduces wear and increases pump life; removable for easy maintenance. Oil sight glass for fast, easy and efficient maintenance
When I laid my eyes on this unit for the first time, I was mesmerized by its look. Yes, if you want to check out a beautiful device, it should be the one we are about to review. Now, the best thing about it is that it has two tanks. Yes, you’ve heard it right!
I also loved the device for the amazingly cool operation it comes with. And if you are worried about the tear and wear, then be so no more. Moreover, the machine runs very quietly. And the fact that it has this sturdy cast iron construction is too awesome.
The air compressing capacity of this unit is great. Also, you need to check out the incredibly fast recovery time it comes with. What’s more, the machine runs in low amp so that there’s no such thing as voltage dropping.
A unique thing about this model is that it comes with an air filter. This feature will provide you with very clean air. Now, is this tool perfect for pro-level tasks? Yes, it is. Once you check out the extremely powerful motor it boasts, you will not doubt it.
This probably is the best pro-level tool on our list. Its gorgeous design will make the work more fun. And the dual tanks it comes with will let you work on big projects.
#6. Rolair JC10 Plus 1HP Air Compressor Review
- 2.35 CFM at 90 psi
- 1725 RPM motor
- Oil-less design reduces maintenance and downtime
- 2.5 Gallon tank capacity
- Cast Aluminum Cylinder
As this JC10 Plus air compressor has a tank capacity of 2.5 gallons, it will let you use it for long with the nailers.
It only takes about 45 seconds to refill the tank once it becomes full empty.
It’s a 2.35 CFM unit at 90 PSI. It features a low amp draw (7.5A) and a 1HP motor. The maximum working pressure is 125 PSI.
Turning on and off, this compressor is a cakewalk. You just have to plug in and out to the power cord and use a switch to turn it on and off effortlessly.
The pressure gauges need to be facing upwards to see them conveniently when the unit is sitting on the ground. Unfortunately, this unit doesn’t feature upward-facing gauges.
As a whole, Rolair JC10 Plus is quite an excellent advancement to the previous JC10 model.
This one doesn’t break your bank, quite a reliable unit. More importantly, it’s amazingly quiet that genuinely makes it usable for both indoors and outdoors.
#7. Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor Review
- Cast iron pump with big bore cylinder and piston, combined with greater bore and stroke, delivers maximum performance
- Substantially lower noise levels with a large 1,720 RPM pump, enabling greater displacement at lower RPM
- Low amp draw reduces incidences of tripped breakers and voltage drop that can cause premature motor failure
- Oil lubricated provides cooler running pump, minimizes wear
- One-year manufacturer's warranty
This Makita MAC700 offers quite a healthy CFM of 3.3 at 90 PSI. It has a powerful 2HP motor, too, that eventually makes it a reliable tool to use with different nailers.
This compressor has a 2.6 gallons capacity tank. The max pressure of this air compressor is 130 PSI, and it draws 12.4 amps.
Although this is not an oil-free compressor, it doesn’t require too much maintenance.
Overall, this is another satisfactorily quiet air compressor manufactured by a reputed brand for use with roofing nailers. It doesn’t hurt your pocket to afford it either.
#8. Campbell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor Review
- QUIET: The DC080500 air compressor is up to 50% quieter than comparable compressors, producing just 68 dBA which it makes the unit ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- VERSATILE: This compressor is perfect for inflation, hobby painting, stapling, fastening, nailing, and bolting projects
- DURABLE: The compressor's key components last up to four times longer due to its oil-free, maintenace free, dual piston pump
- PORTABLE: Large wheels and a durable, rubber-grip steel handle makes the unit easy to transport from project to project
- COMPATIBLE: Start your projects right away; bundle this unit with a Campbell 25 ft. Air Hose (PA117701AV), 17 Piece Accessory Kit (MP284701AV)
This hotdog model air compressor from Campbell Hausfeld is another suitable choice to use with the nailers. This unit has an 8 gallons tank capacity and a maximum pressure of 120 PSI.
It consists of a 1HP motor, which makes it ample reliable to use with the roofing nailers and various other nailers. This very compressor features 2.4 CFM at 90 PSI.
You can buy the same unit with a handy nailer kit spending a little more money. You will be getting a 25’ air hose and 17 pieces of accessory kit coming with this extended package.
If you are looking for a quiet air compressor that doesn’t make you a noisy neighbor, and at the same time, you want a powerful, reliable, and inexpensive unit, then this is one of the best bets for you.
Before You Buy, What to Look for?
Being thoughtful in your purchase will help you to get great value out of your money. So, keep these factors I mind while buying an air compressor.
PSI stands for Pounds per Square Unit. You must have noticed that we took this factor seriously while reviewing our products. Now, on the market, there isn’t much variation in the tools when it comes to PSI.
Most devices out there can provide 90 PSI. And there are some which can deliver higher PSI at the second stage of the two stages they come with. Buy such a product for the best performance.
CFM stands for Cubic Feet per Minute. This is the capacity of the compressor to produce air. Check out the CFM of the unit you want to buy at 90 PSI. For, that’s the air pressure on which the tools run. The ideal CFM for a compressor would be 2-5 at 90 PSI.
Only the ones who’ve experienced working with loud machines can tell how much annoyance these bring about. Yes, if the tool is too noisy, you cannot enjoy working on the projects. Also, it will most likely make your neighbors go mad at you. So, make sure that the device is as quiet as possible.
Here’s another factor that’s important for a worker who has to move frequently from one job site to another. The machine should be easily portable to make it easy for you to carry it around. Therefore, it needs to come with ergonomic handlebars and features like these.
You need to check out the size of the device and make sure it will be perfect for the space you can afford for it. Also, it has to fit the car van for easy portability.
The market can offer you very expensive products with all the fancy features you can imagine. However, you need to buy the one you can afford easily. Some affordable products will serve the purpose just right.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here we have some of the most commonly asked queries regarding air compressors:
Question #1. Who makes the best air compressor?
Answer: An Air compressor is such an essential tool for any garage owner. Anyone who wants to use a pneumatic tool needs an air compressor to run that.
Fortunately, today’s market is flooded with so many brands and models that make various types and capacities of air compressors.
Some of the best air compressor brands include –
- California Air Tools.
- Campbell Hausfeld.
- Avid Power.
From the above list, I dig the air compressors manufactured by DEWALT, BOSTITCH, Makita, California Air Tools, PORTER-CABLE, VIAIR more than the other brands considering the variation, quality, and customer support.
Question #2. What is the best portable air compressor?
Answer: Portable air compressors are mostly used by the off-roaders to inflate the vehicle tires. Apart from that, it’s equally useful for filling the air in the bicycle tires, soccer ball, basketball, etc.
Similar to the other types of air compressors, you will find it overwhelming to choose the best portable air compressor. It’s because the market is saturated by different brands and models.
Some of the top-notch portable air compressors are –
- VIAIR 400P.
- BOSTITCH BTFP02012.
- Makita 2.5 MAC2400.
- PORTER-CABLE C2002.
- California Air Tools, 8010.
- DEWALT DWFP55126.
If you want me to vote only one, I will go for VIAIR 400P. However, it depends on the capacity and usability based on the requirement.
Question #3. What is the best jump starter with an air compressor?
Answer: A jump starter is quite a vital tool to carry for any off-roaders or whenever someone is planning for a long drive. You must want to revive the dead battery in a quick time, right?
Here is the list of some of the best jump starters with an air compressor –
Out of these five top-notch jump starters, JNCAIR 1700 and Stanley J5C09 are the winners, in my opinion.
Question #4. What size of air compressor do you need for a nail gun?
Answer: The nail gun needs a compressor having 2 CFM at the minimum with 2-6 gallon capacity. And the size of the machine will depend on the space you can afford to keep the machine. However, it shouldn’t be ridiculously large.
Question #5. What hoses and fittings do I need to buy for air compressors to use a nail gun?
Answer: There are two types of hoses mainly used with air compressors when it comes to nail guns. If it’s a home project, I would prefer the rubber hoses. For, they are perfect for handling the temperature. But, if it’s a tough task, you might want to choose polyurethane hoses.
In terms of fittings, you can choose either one of Tru-Flate and Milton-type options.
Question #6. Who invented the first air compressor for a nail gun?
Answer: The Egyptian metallurgists have invented this useful machine for the first time. Then there was this particular type of compressor widely used across the world that went by the name Bellows. From thereupon, men have been modifying this invention to make it suitable for different times.
Question #7. What gallon-sized air compressor used for a nail gun?
Answer: It will depend on the nature of the job. If it’s a regular one, you will be cool with only 1 gallon. But, having a unit with a higher capacity won’t harm.
Question #8. How big air compressor for a nail gun?
Answer: The machine should be big enough to produce 120 PSI air pressure for the nail gun.
I hope we could find you the best air compressor for roofing nailer. One thing we can assure you is that there aren’t any better options than these available out there. Therefore, buying any of them won’t make you regret in the future, rest assured.
Best Coil Roofing Nailer Reviews: Top 5 Picks.