Table of Contents
FramingNailersGuide is reader-supported. If you buy an item through the links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more
Last Updated on January 12, 2023 by John Patterson
Whenever your job site nail gun gives up working due to a shortage of air, it feels ridiculously annoying, right?
You won’t have to experience such a bitter feeling if you buy an air compressor.
Yes, that will solve the problem for good, but only if you can find the best air compressor for the roofing nailer.
Now, how do you know which is the best option for you since there are tons of excellent products out there?
The answer is you go through the air compressors for roofing nail guns reviews of people who’ve studied those tools hard.
Oh, please wait a minute; that sounds like us! Yes, we’ve spent a lot of time finding the best air compressors.
Want to know if we’ve done an excellent job or not?
Then read on and see if we can be of any help in making a well-informed buying decision.
|BOSTITCH BTFP02012||Bostitch||Corded Electric||6 Gallons||31 Pounds|
|DEWALT D55146||DEWALT||120 Volts||4.5 Gallons||80 Pounds|
|PORTER-CABLE C2002||PORTER-CABLE||Electric-powered||6 Gallons||31.2 pounds|
|Senco PC1010||Senco||Electric-powered||1 Gallon||20 Pounds|
|Makita MAC2400||Makita||Electric-powered||4.2 Gallons||77 lbs.|
|Rolair JC10 Plus||Rolair||Electric-powered||2.5 Gallons||42.9 Pounds|
|Makita MAC700||Makita||Electric-powered||59.6 pounds||52 lbs.|
|Campbell Hausfeld DC080500||Campbell Hausfeld||Electric||8 Gallons||67 Pounds|
8 Best Air Compressors for Roofing Nailer of 2023
Let’s learn about the best air compressors we were privileged to review.
There’s a fat chance that you will find the device you are looking for among them.
#1. BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor Review
- The portable air compressor has a long-life...
- 150 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM*...
- BOSTITCH high efficiency motor of the 6 gallon air...
- 78.5 dBA** operational noise level for a quiet...
- 29 lb. weight makes unit easy to carry and store
- Brand: Bostitch
- Model: BTFP02012
- Weight: 31 pounds
- Size: 17 x 17 x 19 inches
- SCFM: 2.6
- Tank Capacity: 6-gallon
- Very quiet during the work
- 20 seconds of recovering time are incredible
- 75% duty cycle will see the job done fast
- Very small footprint for ease of use
- The electrical cord could’ve been a bit longer
We couldn’t help but choose this amazing air compressor to be on the top of our list for the incredibly small footprint it offers.
Yes, as a worker, you always cherish such an easy-to-maneuver device.
It has many fancy features that will draw any buyer’s attention.
Firstly, you want to check out the PSI it comes with.
We are talking about 2.6 SCFM over here, which is too impressive for a little device like this.
Also, considering the machine’s size, its tank is large, boasting a 6-gallon capacity.
And the fact that there are two outlets makes this tool all too precious.
I loved how the machine managed to keep so amazingly quiet.
You would appreciate this great if you have experienced working with noisy air compressors.
Moreover, they’ve given it an awe-inspiring recovery time so that you can work for extended periods.
The machine also has an outstanding duty cycle.
Yes, you should be pleased about a 75% duty cycle.
You won’t find such a cycle in too many devices in this price range.
This heavy-duty air compressor for the roofing nailer model will be perfect for most of the regular jobs.
However, you might not want to buy it if the project is too demanding.
But, whenever there’s a need for an air compressor to run small tools, this one will serve the purpose better than any other device.
#2. DEWALT D55146 4-1/2-Gallon 225-PSI Hand Carry Compressor
- 225 PSI max tank storage pressure provides a user...
- 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI allows the compressor to...
- vertical stand feature and collapsible handle...
- 78 dBA operational noise level for a quieter work...
- HORSEPOWER: 1.6 HP
- Brand: DeWalt
- Model: D55146
- Weight: 80 pounds
- Size: 33 x 44 x 24 inches
- SCFM: 5 at 90 PSI
- Tank Capacity: 4.5-gallon
- The cable wrap makes it easy to store the device
- Very sturdy roll cage to protect the tool
- The impressive safety valve for tackling any emergency
- Metal console panel is as strong as ever
- The outlet might leak air at times
If you are looking for a heavy-duty air compressor for roofing nailers that will offer incredibly high PSI, then this is the one for you.
I was astonished to find out that this Dewalt air compressor has 200 PSI, something very few machines will be able to build.
And you’ve also got to appreciate the quick recovery time it provides, which is only 22 seconds.
This Dewalt air compressor comes with a 4.5-gallon tank to supply air for a big project.
And you will love the handles it comes with.
They will make it easy to do the job by being extremely user-friendly.
Thanks to these, you have one of the most highly portable air compressors for roofing nailers in front of you.
Also, you will be amazed at this product’s versatility.
There will be hardly any job that it will refuse to do.
Whether remodeling, trim carpentry, or roofing – it will serve the purpose wonderfully.
I was also ecstatic about the vertical stand introduced in it.
You will love this feature when there’s less space to store the device.
Also, this heavy-duty Dewalt air compressor’s pump will impress anyone looking for a ridiculously fast recovery time.
And if you are worried about the safety of this air compressor for roofing nailer, you need to check out the roll cage along with the metal console panel to put your worries at rest.
You want to buy an air compressor for any professional tasks.
It’s affordable and will do the job perfectly with its remarkable PSI.
#3. PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
- 150 psi max tank pressure of the portable air...
- 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi of the electric air compressor...
- 6 gal Pancake style tank of the PORTER-CABLE air...
- Low Amp 120V motor of the 6 gallon air compressor...
- Durable oil-free pump for long life and no...
- Brand: Porter-Cable
- Model: C2002
- Weight: 30 pounds
- Size: 19 x 19 x 18 inches
- SCFM: 2.6 at 90 PSI
- Tank Capacity: 6 gallons
- This oil-free air compressor 6-gallon is a durable and corrosion-resistant tank with a large capacity.
- Has double outlets to serve more than one purpose at a time
- Oil-free UMC pancake compressor works great in shallow temperatures
- The air hose cleans the machine’s exterior to get rid of the dust
- The plastic connector isn’t that convincing
This heavy-duty pancake air compressor for the roofing nailer we are reviewing comes with a ridiculously small body. One might underestimate its value by looking at the size. And how very wrong would he be? You will be stunned when the powerful motor of this little device takes charge. Yes, it will do the job fast, alright.
Now, what about the durability it has to offer? Well, I found this Porter-cable air compressor for the roofing nailer brilliant. You can use it for a good 45 minutes non-stop. All you need to do is allow 15 minutes or so to cool down. Sounds fun, right?
I always like the pancake air compressor that has great tank capacity. And that’s why I loved this device. It has a 6-gallon capacity that will let you do some serious work. And the fact that it’s pretty lightweight has also impressed me. If portability is your concern, you will find the product perfect.
One of the best things about this air compressor for roofing is that it’s made for cold weather. Yes, the homeboy won’t give up even if the temperature is too low. What’s more, it has two outlets to do more than one task simultaneously.
This will be the best air compressor for you if the area you are residing in has a cold climate. The pancake compressor has this great tank capacity to do the job without any hassles.
#4. Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 hp running 1-Gallon Compressor
- Lightweight and portable--easy to carry from site...
- One horsepower peak ,1/2 horsepower runningand...
- Ideal for a range of renovation and home...
- Delivers 20 to 44 drives per minute
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Brand: Senco
- Model: PC1010
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Size: 13 x 14 x 10 inches
- SCFM: 0.7 at 90 PSI
- Tank Capacity: 1 gallon
- It Recharges very fast; it needs only about 30 seconds
- Outstanding stability during the work
- Far from being noisy
- Comes with a pressure meter for easy monitoring
- Not the best option for heavy tasks
If you are looking for an easily portable air compressor for roofing nailers, check out this compact one we are about to review. I was very happy to find out that it is lightweight. Now, do not let its weight make you underestimate the power of this device. It will rival those powerful machines on any given day.
I loved the design of this unit very much. Yes, who won’t find the rubberized handlebar impressive, right? Especially if you have to move around a lot with your tool, this is an excellent feature to have in place. Moreover, the small size of the device makes it easy to store.
Now, we’ve seen tanks that are bigger than the one this model comes with. However, you will be happy to know that it doesn’t take much time to recharge it. And the powerful motor has compensated for the low capacity of the tank very efficiently.
Among the best things about this heavy-duty air compressor for roofing nailers is its quick recovery time. We are talking about only 30 seconds over here. Therefore, you can get done with the job faster than you expected. Moreover, it doesn’t make too much noise, so you don’t get exhausted during work.
I recommend this air compressor for roofing nailers highly for folks who have to do light work. I’m yet to see an affordable device like this serve the purpose so wonderfully.
#5. Makita 2.5 HP Air Compressor
- Cast iron pump with Big Bore cylinder and piston...
- Powerful 2.5 HP 4-Pole motor produces 4.2 CFM at...
- Roll-cage construction provides complete...
- Low AMP draw reduces incidences of tripped...
- Pump is oil-lubricated for cooler running...
- Brand: Makita
- Model: MAC2400
- Weight: 80 pounds
- Size: 20 x 18 x 18 inches
- SCFM: 4.2 at 90 PSI
- Tank Capacity: 4.2-gallon twin tanks
- Very powerful motor, yet little noise
- Two tanks with an impressive capacity
- An oil sight glass for monitoring the oil level
- Very fast recovery time
- A bit heavy
I was mesmerized by its look when I laid my eyes on this unit for the first time. Yes, if you want to check out a beautiful device, the Makita mac2400 should be the one we are about to review. Now, the best thing about it is that it has two tanks. Yes, you’ve heard it right!
I also loved this heavy-duty air compressor for its amazingly cool operation. And if you are worried about the tear and wear, then be so no more. Moreover, the Makita mac2400 runs very quietly. And the fact that it has this sturdy cast iron construction is too awesome.
The air compressing capacity of this unit is excellent. Also, you need to check out the speedy recovery time it comes with. The machine runs at a low amp, so there’s no such thing as voltage dropping.
A unique thing about this air compressor is that it comes with an air filter. This feature will provide you with very clean air. Now, is this tool perfect for pro-level tasks? Yes, it is. Once you check out the mighty motor it boasts, you will not doubt it.
Makita mac2400 probably is the best air compressor on our list. Its gorgeous design will make the work more fun. And the dual tanks it comes with will let you work on big projects.
#6. Rolair JC10 Plus 1HP Air Compressor Review
- 2.35 CFM at 90 psi
- 1725 RPM motor
- Oil-less design reduces maintenance and downtime
- 2.5 Gallon tank capacity
- Cast Aluminum Cylinder
- Brand: Rolair
- Model: JC10
- Weight: 42.9 pounds
- Size: 2.3 gal
- Power Source: electric-powered
- Style: stationary
- A perfect unit to use with different nail guns, including a roofing nailer.
- This air compressor is a surprisingly quiet (60 dB while running).
- It’s a well-built air compressor that should last long.
- This air compressor doesn’t weigh too much, and it’s moderately tiny. Pretty convenient to transport.
- You don’t have to do the maintenance too often as it’s an oil-less unit.
- I dig the easy operation process.
- You can refill the tank in no time once it gets dead empty.
- It’s quite affordable for what it offers.
- This unit is more homeowner-friendly than a contractor.
- The gauges are not positioned correctly to see them easily.
As this JC10 Plus air compressor has a tank capacity of 2.5 gallons, it will let you use it for a long with the roofing nailers.
It only takes about 45 seconds to refill the tank once it becomes entirely empty.
It’s a 2.35 CFM unit at 90 PSI. It features a low amp draw (7.5A) and a 1HP motor. The maximum working pressure is 125 PSI.
Turning on and off, this air compressor is a cakewalk. You must plug in and out the power cord and use a switch to turn it on and off effortlessly.
The pressure gauges need to be facing upwards to see them conveniently when the unit is sitting on the ground. Unfortunately, this unit doesn’t feature upward-facing gauges.
Overall, Rolair JC10 Plus is quite an excellent advancement from the previous JC10 model.
This one doesn’t break your bank, quite a reliable unit. More importantly, it’s amazingly quiet,, making it usable indoors and outdoors.
#7. Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor Review
- Cast iron pump with big bore cylinder and piston,...
- Substantially lower noise levels with a large...
- Low amp draw reduces incidences of tripped...
- Oil lubricated provides cooler running pump,...
- One-year manufacturer's warranty
- Brand: Makita
- Model: MAC700
- Weight: 59.6 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 22 x 10 inches
- Power Source: electric-powered
- Style: MAC700 air compressor
- Turning this on and off this unit is pretty straightforward.
- A compact unit for the liking of most users, hence it’s easy to store.
- The ergonomic handle with a comfortable grip makes it easy to carry.
- It builds up the pressure in a quick time.
- I like how the pressure gauges are facing up to offer convenience in reading them.
- It’s a powerful and reliable quiet air compressor with different nail guns, including roofing nailers.
- A satisfactorily quiet unit (80db when running).
- The overall build is quite admirable, and looks like it will last long.
- The rubber feet of this unit help to make this unit vibration-free.
- A compressor oil bottle comes with the package.
- The price of this quiet air compressor unit is quite reasonable too.
- While it’s not too heavy, at the same time, the weight could have been lighter.
This Makita MAC700 offers quite a healthy CFM of 3.3 at 90 PSI. It also has a powerful 2HP motor, which eventually makes it a reliable tool to use with different nail guns, including roofing nailers.
This air compressor has a 2.6 gallons capacity tank. The max pressure of this air compressor is 130 PSI, drawing 12.4 amps.
Although this is not an oil-free compressor, it doesn’t require much maintenance.
Overall, this is another satisfactorily quiet air compressor manufactured by a reputed brand for use with roofing nailers. It doesn’t hurt your pocket to afford it, either.
#8. Campbell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressor Review
- Greatly reduced noise: 68 decibel rating allows...
- Max 125 PSI
- Oil-free, maintenance free pump
- The conveniently placed gauges and regulator allow...
- Brand: Campbell Hausfeld
- Model: DC080500
- Weight: 67 pounds
- Size: 8 Gallon
- Power Source: electric-powered
- Style: 8 Gallon Quiet
- Transporting this air compressor is a breeze. Kudos to the wheels and the nicely positioned grippy handle.
- It’s lightweight and easy to store too.
- It’s a quiet unit, without any doubt (68 dB when running).
- This one is another oil-free air compressor that makes it virtually maintenance-free.
- I must cherish the build of this unit, and it genuinely looks long-lasting to me.
- The pressure gauge is facing upwards, and it’s pretty convenient to read.
- Operating this unit is a walk in the park too.
- This air compressor indeed maintains good air pressure.
- It’s quite an inexpensive air compressor for roofing nailers compared to its competitors.
- No major drawbacks.
This hotdog model air compressor from Campbell Hausfeld is another suitable choice with the roofing nailer. This unit has an 8 gallons tank capacity and a maximum pressure of 120 PSI.
It consists of a 1HP motor, which makes it reliable to use with roofing and various other nailers. This very compressor features 2.4 CFM at 90 PSI.
You can buy the same unit with a handy nailer kit by spending a little more money. You will get a 25’ air hose and 17 pieces of accessory kit with this extended package.
If you are looking for a quiet air compressor that doesn’t make you a noisy neighbor, and at the same time, you want a robust, reliable, and inexpensive unit, then this is one of the best bets for you.
Before You Buy, What to Look for?
Being thoughtful in your purchase will help you to get great value out of your money. So, keep these factors in mind while buying the best air compressors.
PSI stands for Pounds per Square Unit. You must have noticed that we took this factor seriously while reviewing our products. Now, on the market, there isn’t much variation in the tools regarding PSI.
Most devices out there can provide 90 PSI. And some can deliver higher PSI at the second stage of the two stages they come with. Buy such a product for the best performance.
CFM stands for Cubic Feet per Minute. This is the capacity of the air compressor to produce air. Check out the CFM of the unit you want to buy at 90 PSI. For, that’s the air pressure on which the tools run. The ideal CFM for an air compressor would be 2-5 at 90 PSI.
Only the ones who’ve experienced working with loud machines can tell how much annoyance these bring about. Yes, if the tool is too noisy, you cannot enjoy working on the projects. Also, it will most likely make your neighbors go mad at you. So, make sure that the air compressors are as quiet as possible.
Here’s another critical factor for a worker who frequently moves from one job site to another. The machine should be easily portable to make it easy for you to carry it around. Therefore, it needs to come with ergonomic handlebars and features like these.
You need to check out the device’s size and make sure it will be perfect for the space you can afford. Also, it has to fit the car van for easy portability.
The market can offer you costly products with all the fancy features you can imagine. However, you need to buy the one you can afford easily. Some affordable and heavy-duty air compressors will serve the purpose just right.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here we have some of the most commonly asked queries regarding air compressors:
Question #1. Who makes the best air compressor?
Answer: An Air compressor is an essential tool for any garage owner. Anyone who wants to use a pneumatic tool needs an air compressor to run that.
Fortunately, today’s market is flooded with many brands and models that make various types and capacities of air compressors.
Some of the best air compressor brands include –
- California Air Tools.
- Campbell Hausfeld.
- Avid Power.
From the above list, I dig the air compressors manufactured by DEWALT, BOSTITCH, Makita, California Air Tools, PORTER-CABLE, and VIAIR more than the other brands, considering the variation, quality, and customer support.
Question #2. What is the best portable air compressor?
Answer: Portable air compressors are used mainly by off-roaders to inflate vehicle tires. Apart from that, it’s equally helpful in filling the air in bicycle tires, soccer balls, basketball, etc.
Like the other air compressors, you will find it overwhelming to choose the best portable air compressor. It’s because the market is saturated by different brands and models.
Some of the top-notch portable air compressors are –
- VIAIR 400P.
- BOSTITCH BTFP02012.
- Makita 2.5 MAC2400.
- PORTER-CABLE C2002.
- California Air Tools, 8010.
- DEWALT DWFP55126.
If you want me to vote for only one, I will go for VIAIR 400P. However, it depends on the capacity and usability based on the requirement.
Question #3. What is the best jump starter with an air compressor?
Answer: A jump starter is quite a vital tool to carry for any off-roaders or whenever someone is planning for a long drive. You must want to revive the dead battery in a quickly time, right?
Here is the list of some of the best jump starters with an air compressor –
- Jump-n-carry JNCAIR 1700
- Stanley J5C09.
- DEWALT DXAEJ14.
- Rugged Geek RG1000.
- POTEK JS88-UL.
In my opinion, of these five top-notch jump starters, JNCAIR 1700 and Stanley J5C09 are the winners.
Question #4. What size of air compressor do you need for a nail gun?
Answer: The nail gun needs a compressor having 2 CFM at the minimum with a 2-6 gallon capacity. And the size of the machine will depend on the space you can afford to keep machine. However, it shouldn’t be ridiculously large.
Question #5. What hoses and fittings do I need to buy for air compressors to use a nail gun?
Answer: Two types of hoses are mainly used with air compressors for nail guns. If it’s a home project, I would prefer the rubber hoses. For, they are perfect for handling the temperature. But, if it’s challenging, you might want to choose polyurethane hoses.
In terms of fittings, you can choose Tru-Flate’s or Milton-type options.
Question #6. Who invented the first air compressor for a nail gun?
Answer: The Egyptian metallurgists invented this valuable machine for the first time. Then there was this particular type of air compressor widely used worldwide that went by the name Bellows. From thereupon, men have been modifying this invention to make it suitable for different times.
Question #7. What is a gallon-sized air compressor used for a nail gun?
Answer: It will depend on the nature of the job. You will be relaxed with only 1 gallon if it’s a regular one. But, having a unit with a higher capacity won’t harm you.
Question #8. How big is an air compressor for a nail gun?
Answer: The air compressor for nail guns should be big enough to produce 120 PSI air pressure for the nail gun.
I hope we can find you the best air compressor for roofing nailers. One thing we can assure you is that there aren’t any better options than these available out there. Therefore, buying any of the air compressors for a roofing nailer won’t make you regret it in the future; rest assured.
Best Coil Roofing Nailer Reviews: Top 5 Picks.