Table of Contents
- 1 How to Clean The Mechanic Hands
- 2 How to Clean Grease-Stained Hands
- 3 How to Clean Mechanic’s Nails
- 4 Final Words
FramingNailersGuide is reader-supported. If you buy an item through the links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more
Last Updated on February 28, 2021 by John Patterson
No matter if you’ve started working wearing your gloves on, it’s quite natural to get your bare hands involved while working on your car.
For sure, you don’t want to remain for long with your oily and greasy hands.
It’s time to clean your hands really quick now.
Nevertheless, cleaning a mechanic’s hands requires some specific procedures and some assistance from hand cleaners.
Bear with me, because I’m going to show you how to clean the mechanic hands step-by-step.
I will be referring to some of the top-notch hand cleaners as well as some brushes and wipes to get the job done correctly.
So, here we go.
How to Clean The Mechanic Hands
Cleaning Mechanic’s Hands Using Different Hand Cleaners
Using regular soap won’t work to remove the oil, grease, and stains from your hands. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have had to write this guide for you.
With that said, not all cleaners are perfect for everybody. So chemicals in the cleaners might not suit you and cause an allergy.
No worries. I am going to suggest some of the quality hand cleaners Brands.
Here they are –
#1. Grip Clean Heavy-Duty Pumice Soap
- TOUGH AS MUD - Because it is mud—Bentonite clay, to be exact. Our unique & natural heavy duty hand cleaner for mechanics (+ other dirty jobs) easily & quickly breaks down and absorbs tough grease, oil, inks, odors, poison ivy, stains, and whatever else your filthy hands get into.
- ALL NATURAL - Forget harsh chemicals that wreck your skin. Our formula uses only natural ingredients. No solvents, no detergents, & no toxins… no more whining about dry hands or cracked skin – no matter how many times you wash.
- 2X MORE CONCENTRATED - Clean more dirt for your dollar! Our gritty, pumice soap formula packs twice the cleaning power into each drop than the next best competitors, giving you over 500+ washes per jug.
- SENSITIVE SKIN APPROVED - Oh you’re sensitive? Relax! This natural hand cleaner uses from-the-earth ingredients like bentonite clay, coconut oil, and olive oil to protect your skin from the wear and tear of extended use.
- THE GRIP CLEAN GUARANTEE - Clean those filthy hands in confidence! If for some reason you don't feel Grip Clean is the best damn hand soap you’ve ever used, we’ll give you a full refund.
This particular cleaner is made targeting auto mechanics, farmers, or anyone who deals with oil, grease, or any other stubborn materials.
As this cleaner is made from all-natural elements like coconut oil, absorbent Bentonite clay, and olive oil, so, it shouldn’t cause you any harm or discomfort.
No matter what skin type you have, it should suit you. It’s quite the right solution for anyone who has sensitive skin. You will get a good feel after washing using this cleaner that most of the regular soap lacks.
However, this version of this cleaner doesn’t work against diesel and paint. You need to buy another heavy-duty version of soap from the same company (Check the price on Amazon) that works perfectly to remove diesel and paint. Unfortunately, the heavy-duty one is not all-natural soap.
#2. GOJO NATURAL ORANGE Pumice Hand Cleaner
- Quick-acting, lotion hand cleaner with pumice scrubbers
- Pumice scrubbing particles to clean a broad range of industrial soils, dirt, and grease
- Cleans without harsh solvents
- Appealing orange-citrus scent
- Effective on dirt, oil and grease. Ingredients Water (Aqua), Pumice, C11-15 Alkane/cycloalkane , Laureth-7, Limonene, PEG-4, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aminomethyl Propanol , Carbomer, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate
It’s another easy-to-use and effective cleaner to consider for removing oil, grease, grime, and other everyday dirt.
I must admit, the smell of this cleaner is spot on. It’s an orange-citrus scent.
The natural citrus ingredients with pumice scrubbers clean your hand without giving you any harsh feeling. It’s because this cleaner is not made from any harsh solvent.
This one is a lotion-type cleaner, which doesn’t work against the paint. You can buy the gel-type cleaner (Check the price on Amazon) of this same brand that works to clean oil, grease, grime, paint, dyes, etc.
#3. Multi-Purpose Goop Hand Cleaner
- THE ORIGINAL WATERLESS HAND CLEANER: Quickly and safely removes grease, paint, ink, tar, industrial soils from your hands and laundry.
- MOST EFFECTIVE LAUNDRY STAIN REMOVER: Goop has been designed to not only clean your hands from the toughest products, but also to remove grease, grime, dirt, mud, tar, blood, grass, pine sap, and other hard to remove stains from your clothes!
- GENTLE ON ANY MATERIAL: Works on jeans to silk, your everyday work clothes to your delicates, it even cleans furniture and paint brushes!
- NON-TOXIC, BIODEGRADABLE, HIGH-QUALITY, PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: Safe to use on children and is specially formulated with moisturizers to leave your hands clean and silky smooth!
- MULTI-PURPOSE AND MADE IN THE USA: Cleans tools, laundry, and multiple other items in your household. Perfect for your janitorial and cleaning supplies. Made in the USA for the best quality possible.
It’s a multi-purpose cleaner that you can use to wash your hands and also apply to clothes. Yes, you read it right. It’s an effective laundry stain remover too.
This will help to remove oil, grease, paint, dirt, ink, industrial soil, etc.
This cleaner is pretty gentle with your hand and clothes. It’s non-toxic, biodegradable, which is safe for children as well.
You will get a silky and smooth feeling after washing as it is formulated with moisturizers.
Regarding price, it’s quite inexpensive considering the performance and versatility it features.
#4. Zolex Water-Activated Hand Cleaner
- DEEP SCRUBBING ACTION -The deep scrubbing action of Zolex hand Cleaner makes it tough on stains and effective in removing grease, grime, dirt, ink, odors, sap, paint, tar, adhesives and vanish from Industrial and Mechanics working hands. Dirt infused formula of our heavy duty hand cleaner absorbs toxins and exfoliates skin. Use our natural hand cleaning product to gently remove the toughest grease and grime encountered in industrial settings.
- WATER-ACTIVATED Quality - Our grease Hand Cleaner has water activated quality which makes it effective in cleaning the hands, sinks and drains. Unlike petroleum and solvent based cleaners, our automotive hand Cleaner prevents clogging and greasy build up. Our petroleum-free hand cleaner that works better than anything else on the market. Even though it's tough enough for industrial use, it's safe enough to leave by the all the sinks in your house.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Zolex Stain remover is formulated for professionals in the automotive aftermarket. Our heavy duty hand cleaner is Purely Non-toxic, non-hazardous, no harsh chemicals used totally safe to use on cracked and cut hands with no greasy residue and also environment friendly. Zolex grease remover can be used in hands and entire body.
- MANY USES: Zolex automotive hand soap can be used in all heavy duty industries like airline, trucking, automotive, agriculture, railroad, printing and concrete industries. Our automotive hand cleaner performed well on every stain, and did so without leaving our hands feeling overly scrubbed or dry. This grease remover is effective in DIY projects that want to do away with the disadvantages of solvent-based hand cleaners.
- EASY TO USE: This tough hand cleaner is very easy to use. Simply dab a little bit cleaner on the grease or dirt and rub it in. Wash normally and the stain is gone. Unlike all other hand cleaners zolex has a lovely scent quality and after cleaning your hand it leaves a pleasant after-scent. Try it yourself and see why we are the best hand cleaner in the market.
It’s a strong but soft hand cleaner that smells good too. This one is a non-toxic, environment-friendly hand cleaner that is free from any harsh chemical. Therefore, you can use it to wash any parts of your body.
More importantly, you need a minimal amount of cleaner to wash your hands properly. A little dab and rubbing are quite ok for single-use to remove stains instantly.
You can rely on this cleaner undoubtedly to remove oil, grease, paint, ink, grime, etc. It’s quite affordable for what it offers too.
How to Clean Grease-Stained Hands
While the above hand cleaners are ample to clean your hands properly, you might want to use a hand brush to wash your grease-stained hands more appropriately.
- Variable Length Fiber Bristles
- Non slip Hand Scrub and Under-nail Brush
- Home, Industrial or Scientific application
- Light Wood With Molded Grip
- Made in Europe
It’s a dirt-cheap two-sided brush, which is non-slip and made from light wood featuring molded grip.
On top of that, you can go for some of the heavy-duty stubborn grease removers like the ‘Tough Nut hand cleaner’ (Check Price on Amazon)
The ‘Tough nut’ is mainly made as a degreaser. This will give you even more comfort after washing. It uses cosmetic-grade walnut shell scrub to remove grease-stain, oil, paint, dirt, soil, etc.
You can even use baby oil or olive oil and rub it to degrease your hands. It sounds strange, but it surely works.
How to Clean Mechanic’s Nails
Using the above methods, you will surely be able to remove oils or grease from your palm, knuckles, but still, you might see your nails are not all clear.
Don’t be troubled. I am going to tell you the way to clean your nails too.
#1. Use a Nail Brush
You can use the same non-slip two-sided hand and nail brush that I referred to above. It equally works for cleaning both hands and nails.
Alternatively, you can use another high-quality fingernail brush manufactured by Great Neck (Check price on Amazon). You have a nice handle to hold this brush effortlessly.
#2. Use a Heavy-Duty Cleaning Wipe
- 10" x 12" heavy duty wet cleaning wipes. The strongest and largest wet paper towel cleaning wipe. No water required.
- Removes heavy stains others won't including: grease, tar, ink, paint, permanent marker, wax, scuffs, lip stick, nail polish, food and drinks, pet stains and more.
- These moist towels are gentle on hands and skin. Contains lanolin, aloe vera, and vitamin E.
- Tub O Towels can be used as automotive and car cleaning wipes, for the office, boating, and RV's, and around the home.
- Use these tough cleaning wipes on Fabric and Carpet, Leather, Vinyl, Metal, Counter Tops, Walls, For Cleaning Appliances, Tile, Cabinets, Toilets, Tubs and more.
The second way I suggest removing stains, grease, oil from a mechanic’s nail is using a heavy-duty Cleaning Wipe like ‘Tub o Towels TW90’ – 10”x12” size cleaning wipes.
These are moist towels and gentle to your nails and hands. These are environment-friendly wipes too.
In a nutshell, it’s not a tough task to clean the mechanic’s hands and nails at all.
I’ve discussed all those above and referred to some of the best hand cleaners that are effective and don’t hurt your pocket.
Try to wash your hands as soon as you are done with your mechanical work to get the best result.
All the above-mentioned cleaner and cleaning brushes are high-quality and practical solutions. You can go for any of those.
How to clean the mechanic’s hands? I hope you got the proper answer, step-by-step, to that question.