Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Picks
- 2 5 Best Lawn Spreaders Reviews in 2020
- 3 How to Choose the Top-rated Lawn Spreaders?
- 4 Final Verdict & Our Choice
DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. I WILL ONLY EVER PROMOTE THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT I TRUST AND 100% RECOMMEND.
Do you have a large garden?
If your answer is yes, no doubt, you need one of the best lawn spreaders out there.
They make your task more comfortable and help you to successfully and readily dispense materials that strengthen lawn and destroys weeds.
With different types and models of lawn spreaders in the market, it can be a lot of hassle to decide on which one suits the size and the need of your lawn.
However, there is no need to get worked up.
We have provided you in this wordy piece with all the information you need to make the right choice and also offered the reviews of our top five picks to guide your shopping decisions.
Now, let’s quickly start!
5 Best Lawn Spreaders Reviews in 2020
These five heavy-duty lawn spreaders ensure your lawn has the right water and nutrient it requires to be evergreen and eliminate the weed. So, do not make your shopping decisions until you have checked them out all!
#1. Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader
- Scotts turf builder mini walk-behind broadcast spreader features Scotts exclusive EdgeGuard Technology to keep product off landscaping, driveways, and sidewalks
- Designed to deliver superior results when used with Scotts fertilizer and grass seed products; Can be used for salting--for best results use with Scotts Ice Melt
- Comes pre-calibrated and fully assembled with fold-down handle for easy storage
- Ideal for treating smaller areas, and its compact design allows for easy storage
- Holds up to 5,000 square feet of Scotts lawn products
Choose this Scotts Turf broadcast lawn spreader if you have large lawns. The dispensing mechanism discharges fertilizer in a semicircular manner, helping it to cover a larger area of the garden in a shorter period while at the same time evening out the spread.
Check this latest guide if you need a top-quality lawn mower.
The Edge guard Technology unlocks the right side of the spreader and stops the dispensing materials falling at spots outside the lawn. This spreader doesn’t require any installation, and you can use it right away after unboxing it. You also don’t need to calibrate it as it comes with factory calibration.
All you need to do is load material, and off you go. Besides, the dashboard shows correct settings that help you to get a perfect cover. The container capacity can load materials that could easily cover five thousand square feet of your lawn or garden.
This cheap lawn spreader is compatible with different types of fertilizer. You can efficiently regulate the dispense rate to minimize waste. This is a famous spreader in the gardening world because it works flawlessly, delivers much more value than the price, and lasts for a relatively long period.
Besides, you don’t waste any time setting it up. The popularity of this spreader also makes many fertilizer manufacturers incorporate its setting in their product’s bag. This further establishes the product as a user-friendly lawn spreader.
Also, this spreader can work for various applications including seed dispersal, grass-fed, and fertilizer application. It is suitable for use at any time of the year and just about any season of the year. So you can be sure to have a properly maintained lawn that looks evergreen with this spreader.
Overall, it is small-sized and compact for easy storage. You can trust it for excellent portability. No wonder why it is the choice of many!
#2. Scotts Elite Broadcast Spreader with EdgeGuard
- Dual rotor technology provides unbeatable accuracy and a 6ft spread pattern for time savings. This is our most accurate spreader ever!
- Holds up to 20,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn product, including grass seed, fertilizer, salt and ice melt
- Never-flat tires to conquer any terrain
- Ergonomic handle with smartphone holder
- Minor assembly required - Remove agitator pins when spreading coarse rock salt
The Scotts Elite Broadcast Spreader comes with a double rotor technology to provide nice spread and enhance the spread pattern to six feet to minimize the time you spend to pass across your lawn. It is built to deliver with utmost accuracy and large capacities that can help you cover up to twenty thousand square feet at a go.
This large capacity dramatically minimizes the number of passes you require. It works well with all types of materials including manure, seed, melting agents, and salt. The sturdy tires of this heavy-duty lawn spreader work seamlessly in any terrain without going flat.
The handle comes with a holder for a smartphone, so you never lose connections while you work. Assembling requires just a little work and is comfortable.
You need to take off agitator pins when you are discharging salt granules. The large capacity of the hopper lets you fill a lot more to reduce the number of required passes.
You can easily use this spreader out of the box because it is calibrated. Also, many fertilizer brands come with settings compatible with the spreader on their user manual. This calibration makes it easy for you to start spreading right away. It yields excellent performance.
Nevertheless, for a better result, you need to calibrate the spreader following the provided calibration guide before your first use to ensure everything goes fine with your lawn.
Besides, the spreader looks very lovely. It comes in a larger capacity which increases the loading amount and reduces your work time.
#3. John Deere 130-lb Capacity Tow-behind Lawn Spreader
Even a rookie can easily regulate this John Deere Tow-behind heavy-duty lawn spreader. Undoubtedly this one is one of the best tow-behind lawn spreaders on the market in 2020.
It arrives in a design that makes it easy to set and operate. You will love this spreader for its ability to produce even spread. Also, you can hardly beat the ease of maneuverability that its big pneumatic tires bring on board.
Besides, it readily attaches to the John Deere tractor making the job much more manageable. The oversized hopper makes your job quicker. With one fill, you can cover roughly 0.5 acres of lawn.
Reloading several times can be time consuming and exhausting, and this is where the large capacity of the spreader helps to ensure you finish your job quicker. The structure of this spreader makes it suitable for heavy-duty jobs. Furthermore, it is very sturdy.
The hopper is made with rust-resistant polyethylene material, and the components are adequately covered. So the entire system is resistant to corrosion. It yields precise and accurate spread; thanks to its innovative directional dispense model and automatic discharge of materials.
This helps to keep the material from discharging when you halt the tractor. With the dispenser model, you can go as high as twelve feet, but this depends on the material and the spread rate. Its heat-treated steel gears with the plastic enclosure are protected from corrosive material.
It is suitable for round-the-year usage and serves multipurpose. You can use it to spread seed, manure, lawn chemicals, and even salt or materials that help to melt snow during winter.
The nylon kits in the ration of six-is-to-one help you get a broader reach while spreading at a low rate.
#4. Brinly BS36BH Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- High-capacity hopper: Extra large, rust- and dent-proof poly hopper holds 175 lb. (3. 5 cu. Ft.) of seed, fertilizer, Ice melt and more to maximize the time spent spreading vs. Refilling the hopper. Ideal size for yards 1 acre or larger.
- Lasting durability: All parts that come in contact with corrosive fertilizers are designed to last: heavy polyethylene hopper with stainless steel hardware, spinner shaft, and agitator. Glass-filled nylon gears are fully enclosed with nylon gearbox for additional protection.
- Patented autoflow with spread pattern control: Brinly spreaders are designed for professional-level results. Different materials spread very differently; directional spread pattern control allows you to center and even-out the distribution pattern for a balanced application of any material. The patented autoflow technology stops material from spreading when the tractor stops - eliminating waste and burns that commonly occur with other tow-behind spreaders.
- Easy calibration: calibration controls feature an easy-to-reach locking dial for secure rate-gate settings. Brinly provides hundreds of pre-calibrated settings to help you get to work and get the job done more accurately and efficiently.
- Includes hopper cover: Included clear-top hopper cover with easy elastic on/off keeps moisture out and materials and Dust in - away from the driver and others.
Brinly BS36BH Tow behind Broadcast Spreader features jumbo-sized hopper with a capacity of 175 pounds to reduce your refill time and cover a large area of the lawn at a go. It is made of poly material for easy cleaning and to give it rust-resistant ability.
The directional Spread regulation model of this spreader helps to yield even spread and distant coverage. Durable construction with all the gears enclosed makes it rust-resistant. Also, the hardware, tubing, and agitator are made from stainless steel to make it hold up and free from corrosion.
You can easily adjust it to get even the spread of materials. This means you can direct the machine to spread in any direction of choice, whether to the right, to the left, or the center of the lawn. You can quickly lead the spread away from the places that don’t require the material with the spreader.
This is one of the best-rated lawn mower fertilizer spreaders that you can trust to do the job precisely the way you want. More so, you can be sure to keep your lawn always healthy with this fantastic spreader as it makes the spread fastest and simplest while at the same time saving you from unnecessary wastage of materials.
It is suitable for all year round usage and can work for spreading seed, fertilizer, and also melting agents during winter. The large adjustability range helps it to dispense the materials fast.
Nonetheless, the base is exceptionally flat, and this makes the material in the bottom-feed inconsistent and results in a patchy spread or dispersal.
Overall, it comes in a solid structure that you can trust for durability if properly handled. Also, the installation guide is excellent with all the components grouped to make every step of the installation hitch-free.
#5. Titan 50 lb Professional Broadcast Spreader
- FOR SPREADING FERTILIZER & INSECTICIDES: If you’re looking for a professional-quality spreader for your garden, this broadcast spreader from Titan is a must-have. Whether you’re spreading rock salt to melt ice, dispensing herbicide to control weeds, or pouring seeds to help grass grow, this versatile tool will keep your property looking great.
- DURABLE LAWN EQUIPMENT: Unlike many seeders, the Titan spreader is easy to use and won’t require constant repairs. This roller tool is one of the best options on the market for quick and easy operation that you can depend on season after season. All Titan tools are built with rugged materials made to last.
- LARGE CAPACITY DRUM: Constant refills while spreading plant food or grass seed can disrupt your rhythm and prolong the fertilization process. That’s why the Titan broadcast spreader bucket holds up to 50 lbs. of your favorite fertilizer or other materials. With our spreader, giving your grass the nutrients it needs couldn’t be easier.
- QUALITY AXLE & TIRES: Like all Titan products, the difference is in the details. Fertilize like a master gardener with this rugged machine. The axle and tires on our broadcast spreader are made with quality materials that won’t break down over time. It’s the best tool for reliable and dependable garden treatments. Our spreader features 3 flow settings.
- GREAT FOR MANY TERRAINS: Our broadcast spreader is efficient and effective on a wide variety of terrains. It’s easy to maneuver around trees, roots, and brambles. It also runs smoothly on turf or sod without damaging grass. Soil fertility is important if you want a healthy yard, so treat your lawn with a professional Titan broadcast spreader today.
This Titan broadcast spreader is a commercial lawn spreader specifically designed to suit the needs of professional gardeners. It delivers even spread for all sorts of gardening materials including seeds, melting agents, fertilizers, manures, and herbicides.
The 50 pounds drum capacity increases the quantity of load you can deliver in one pass while at the same time limiting the amount of time you will spend working on the lawn. It features a well-built gearbox and high-quality axle to ensure it serves you for an extensive length of time.
With the triple position handle, you can adjust the level of even spread you want. Also, with the long handle, you don’t need to bend over to roll the spreader around the lawn, especially if you are tall. The wide tires make it easy to maneuver and easy to push on non-flat surfaces.
The installation manual did not provide sufficient info on the installation of the axle, but once you have gone beyond that step, everything works fast and smooth. To get it right and make usage easy, you need to start with assembling the frame and ensure you capture the axle and gearbox in the bushing holes.
After that, you can now set up the bigger bushings from the frame’s exterior or the side of the wheel. Next, you can set up the smaller bushings following the same way you did for the larger one. When you are done with this, move on with the installation of the plastic washers, followed by the wheels.
Ensure you cap the wheels to hold them in position and lock the bushings to keep them stable. You will love the smooth rolling of the spreader.
It outperforms the majority of popular brands in this regard. Besides, the big air-filled tires of this lawn spreader make the application simpler.
The large filter with gaps shaped like the diamond makes discharge easy. It also lets you disintegrate any clumps in the hopper for a smoother and more even delivery.
The transparent plastic cover protects the material from wind storm interfering with the application.
How to Choose the Top-rated Lawn Spreaders?
If you are wondering how to choose the top-rated lawn spreaders, this part of the guide shows you exactly how to pick the right choice for your needs.
Let the following factors be your guiding principles!
Adjustable Spreader Settings
The adjustable spreader settings are the feature that lets you select the amount of fertilizer, seed, or water you want to dispense on specific lawn locations. Your chosen spreader must feature calibrations that are easily legible with a flawless working mechanism.
Go for the option that is easy to customize, read, and comprehend. Also, the dispensing mechanism must be easy to use. It must also be rust-resistant and one that doesn’t clog up quickly.
The lawn spreader that you choose also needs to come in a sturdy frame with durable construction particularly if you want bigger models of tow-behind spreaders.
Containers of the lawn spreaders need to be manufactured with heavy-duty plastic or steel material. If you are managing larger lawns, go for spreaders that come with steel tubes.
Choose the option that attaches tightly to the carriage. The spreader wheel system should be durable and must rotate without obstructions around the axle.
Some carriages come with properly reinforced steel tubes that let them accommodate seed or other materials weighing up to two hundred pounds.
The spreading mechanism needs to be able you get even distribution of seeds or fertilizers. An unequal application can cause problems of like burnt patches due to extreme spreads or malnourished spots as a result of the insufficient application.
The top-quality lawn spreaders ought to help you to get an even application at a regulated rate. Also, check to ensure that the spreading mechanism is made from materials that are resistant to corrosion.
Also, check the operating component to determine the rate of flow. Check if the setting is adjustable and the mode of operation to establish the dispensing rate.
You don’t want to purchase a spreader that would hardly hold up. So, check the manufacturer’s guarantee to give you an idea about how long the spreader is designed to last. Manufacturers offer various degrees and types of warranty depending on their popularity.
Ensure your final choice comes from a reputable brand to double-check you get the best value out of your product. Remember, that you may unavoidably joggle the spreader around bumps or across the wall of a building as you move.
Your spreader needs to be constructed with durable materials to withstand such harsh bumps. The container must be sturdy to last you for a long time.
The price aspect is obvious. By all means, look for top-quality lawn spreaders with affordable and competitive prices. However, do not sacrifice quality for cost. Research for good quality spreaders and then go for the one that is more cost-effective and most suitable for your budget.
This way, you be sure to get the best quality product at the most affordable price.
Size of Hopper
The capacity of your spreader is a significant consideration to make when looking to buy a lawn spreader. The capacity determines the amount of material you can load on the spreader and how much area you will be able to cover before you need to refill the tank.
Choose a spreader with sufficient capacity to minimize the number of refills you need to get the whole lawn areas entirely covered.
Final Verdict & Our Choice
There you have it, all the information you need to choose a suitable lawn spreader from the numerous brands out there. All the five picks in this best lawn spreaders reviews make a great choice, but we rate the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader as the best overall.
Although it is a cheap lawn spreader, it provides value much more than three times the price and performs even more efficiently than some more expensive brands.
It is a famous lawn spreader, thus, compatible with the settings on the majority of the fertilizer bags.