Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Best Carving Axes – Detailed Hatchet Reviews
- 2 Carving Axe/Carving Hatchet – Buying Guide
- 3 Carving Axe vs Hatchet
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Thoughts
FramingNailersGuide is reader-supported. If you buy an item through the links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more
Last Updated on January 1, 2022 by John Patterson
If you are thinking of choosing a random axe for carving is the be-all and end-all, then stop.
It’s not like that.
To pick the high-quality carving axes, you need to consider several factors that I’m going to point out soon.
Considering those factors, I’ve presented the 5 best carving hatchets reviews here mentioning all their benefits and pitfalls.
Here are the points I considered to make this shortlist of best carving hatchets in the world–
- Is it right for carving tasks or not?
- Its blade shape, and quality, and handle quality.
- Ease of gripping.
- The quality of the blade sheath.
- The compactness, weight, and versatility.
- Ease of sharpening.
- How long does it hold the edges?
- Its durability.
- The cost-effectiveness, and many other vital factors like brands, etc.
Buckle your seatbelt and bear with me because now, I’m going to start doing the legwork for you.
Top 5 Best Carving Axes – Detailed Hatchet Reviews
#1. Gränsfors Bruks Hand Carving Axe Review
- Hand Hatchet, Item-ID: 413
- Length with handle: 9.45 inch
- Weight: 1.3 lbs
- Vegetable-tanned leather sheath included
- Axebook included
Gransfors Bruks is a Swedish company that has been in the market for more than 118 years now. It has earned a lot of fame in making quality forest axes, splitting axes, double-bit axes, leather sheets, and many more.
While this best carving Axe from Gransfors Bruks is a perfect choice for carving, at the same time, you can use it for multiple other uses. For example – other small woodworks, campfires, etc.
This best lightweight carving hatchet/axe is one of the best bets for hiking and camping without any second thought. Kudos to its size and weight.
As it doesn’t come razor-sharp, you will have to sharpen it before use. With that said, sharpening this axe is not a big deal at all.
I found one user who found the book that comes with this axe written in German. I don’t know how it happened because it gives an English book to the Americans.
Although the price is on the higher side, this one is the best carving axe on my list without any doubt whatsoever.
#2. Husqvarna Axe Review
- Small, light axe that can be used for cutting...
- Head is attached to the hickory shaft using both a...
- Comes with a leather edge cover
Husqvarna is a big company doing business in several parts of the world, including North America, Central America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, South Asia & the Pacific.
It’s an expert company in making several lawn-cares, as well as forestry accessories, turf care, saws & tree care, battery products, grounds care, cleaning, trimmer accessories, and many more.
You have multiple sizes and materials to choose from Husqvarna’s rich collection of axes.
From those choices, I’ve selected this 13” wooden carving hatchet because it’s one of the best wood carving axes (budget) without sacrificing the quality.
Not only for carving, but you can also use it to serve other purposes like cutting branches or splitting small campfire wood, garden work, etc.
The curve of the handle plays a vital role in providing the desired strength and security while dealing with this tool.
Overall, this axe is such a useful tool for carving without hurting your pocket if you don’t want to spend too much but craving for a quality wood carving axe.
#3. Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet Review
- Length with handle: 13.50 inch, Item-ID: 415
- Weight: 1.3 lbs
- Sheath in vegetable-tanned leather
- Traditional scouting and camping axe
- The Axe Book comes with every axe purchased from...
If you are a spoon carver or looking for a handy tool for any other carving jobs, then you might not want to miss the opportunity to use this axe.
Not to mention, you can use it for several other uses like splitting small logs for camping, hunting, etc.
As this axe doesn’t have a too curvy handle, you might want to use a leather wrap grip to hold it tight.
Two of the most attractive features of this best carving hatchet are the quality of the blade sheath and the compactness of the tool. It’s super convenient to carry it anywhere you want.
Though the price is a bit higher than usual, the quality is remarkable. If you are looking for a beautiful gift for your loved one, this is the one that demands your attention.
#4. Helko Axe Reviews
- HANDMADE IN GERMANY - The Rheinland pattern - a...
- C50 HIGH CARBON STEEL - 53-56 HRC - Helko Werk axe...
- GRADE A AMERICAN HICKORY HANDLE - LINSEED OIL...
- INCLUDES FULL GRAIN LEATHER SHEATH - 1 OZ. BOTTLE...
- DIMENSIONS Head Weight: 1.25 lb / Length: 14 in. /...
Helko Werk is a German-based axe making company that has been in the business since 1844. Isn’t it a pretty old company?
It has an active business in America, and this company knows how to make hand-forged axes keeping the environment friendliness in mind.
This very axe is also another handmade masterpiece from Helko Werk.
A handy axe guard protective oil comes along with the kit. This bottle has a twist-top nozzle system that makes it super easy to use.
Although the blade comes sharp, it comes with a coating for protection. You might want to sharpen it before using it if you feel it is not sharp enough in the beginning.
This axe is one of the best all-rounders on my list. It’s super handy in doing the carving jobs. Besides carving, you can use it for splitting, chopping, and limbs effortlessly.
Though it comes sharp, you might want to spend a couple of minutes on the stone to make it razor sharp before use.
#5. CRKT Freyr Axe Review
- Forged Tough: 1055 Carbon steel provides...
- More than chop: Beard on axe head tackles many...
- Durable: Tennessee hickory is a dense material...
- Designed by Elmer Roush in Brasstown, North...
- Limited Lifetime Warranty covers any defects in...
Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) was established in 1994. Since then, it has been producing some really stylish knives and axes for camping, tactical, hunting, and different other outdoor uses.
This is by far the best American-made wood carving axe, I must say. It’s not pricey and delivers what it is supposed to deliver.
The blade shape is something that attracted me most about the carving hatchet. Nonetheless, on the downside, it is not too firmly attached to the handle.
It doesn’t seem so versatile to me, either. Go for this only for carving. If you want to use it for multiple other tasks, then better avoid this axe and look for other ones on my list.
With that said, to deal with medium-sized, this axe is useful. Just don’t expect too much other than carving, splitting medium wood, etc.
Carving Axe/Carving Hatchet – Buying Guide
It’s crucial to know the significant buying factor of a wood carving axe before you spend your hard-earned money on them.
Here are some of the core factors you should consider before buying one.
Look, choosing an axe that has a relatively shorter handle is crucial here.
It’s because you have to have enough control over your axe while doing any sort of carving job.
The handle shouldn’t get in the way every now and then.
If it has enough curves and its ergonomic design, then it’s easier to grip and operate than the straight ones.
Best if the company features anti-slip coating on the handle.
To do a delicate task like carving, you have to have an axe that offers a narrower head poll.
It’s because too often you will want to hold the handle closer to the head for precise cutting.
So, yes, the head shape is vital here to deal with the wood for carving.
The Bit and the Blade
From a carving axe, what you would expect most is the slicing support rather than splitting support.
That’s why the blade needs to have a thin straight edge. Also, the bit should be a wider single bit.
All these will make the axe useful for carving.
It should weigh less. It’s because you need to use it continuously for a long time to get things done correctly.
Carving requires perfection, and to make it perfect, you have to have patience and fatigue less working.
If the weight of the axe is too heavy, it will surely create some fatigue that you don’t expect.
Ease of Use
Last but not least, the axe should be easy to use. The blade shape should be supportive for carving, also the handle length, and handle shape.
The handle should be firmly attached to the blade to make it sturdy.
A high-quality blade sheath is handy to carry it and store safely.
Carving Axe vs Hatchet
A carving axe is different from a broad axe or carving hatchet.
Yes, a carving axe is not made to do only the carving tasks. You could use a carving axe for several other tasks like chopping wood for camping, dealing with any sort of mid-sized wood, etc.
However, to do the carving, the axe needs to have some specific features like –
- The blade shape needs to be convenient for carving.
- The handle needs to be short and has enough curve for proper gripping.
- It shouldn’t weigh much.
- The head needs to have a narrower poll.
- The handle should be attached to the blade tightly.
On the other hand, a carving hatchet can have a straight handle. The head of the hatchet can be heavier than usual. You will mostly use a carving hatchet for chopping and splitting wood.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1. What is a carving axe?
Answer: A carving axe is nothing but an axe with some must-have features and benefits to make it suitable for carving jobs.
When I’m talking about a carving axe, I need to keep in mind that the axe should be perfect for slicing rather than splitting or chopping.
The axe needs to be compact, lightweight, and easy to grip and should not cause any fatigue for long use.
The blade shape of the axe needs to be supportive of carving as well. If the handle is shorter, then it’s better. Otherwise, it will tend to get in the way a little bit.
This is more or less the definition of a carving axe.
#2. How do I choose a good AXE?
Answer: Now, if you are interested to know the buying factors of a good carving axe then here are the points you need to consider –
- That has to have the correct blade shape.
- The axe needs to be lightweight.
- It shouldn’t have a longer handle.
- It should slice the wood like butter.
- The blade should be firmly attached to the handle to give you ample control and stability.
- The handle should be ergonomically designed and should offer a good comfortable grip.
- You should be able to sharpen the blade quickly, and the blade should hold the edge for a long time to cut wood precisely.
#3. What makes a good axe head?
Answer: These are the key points:
- First and foremost, the axe head needs to be attached to the handle firmly.
- The weight of the axe head plays a role in its performance. A massive head offers more force when swinging.
- However, a heavy head is only suitable for splitting wood. For carving, you might not go for too heavy an axe head.
- It should be ample thin to bite the wood properly and thick enough to ensure durability.
- The head should be made from steel that has the right amount of carbon on it.
#4. Where to buy Husqvarna Axe?
Answer: Our recommended online platform is amazon.
#5. Where Can I Buy a Hatchet?
Answer: The answer is the same as like answer number 4.
In this article, I tried to give you all the insights of the 5 best wood carving axes out of many other options.
Despite having a few hiccups, all the above tools perform quite well. Most importantly, they are durable and hold the edges for a long.
I sorted the list based on my preferences. You can trust the order and see which suits your needs most.