Table of Contents
- 1 Best Wood Axe Brands in 2020
- 1.1 #1. FISKARS:
- 1.2 #2. HUSQVARNA:
- 1.3 #3. ESTWING:
- 1.4 #4. GRANSFORS BRUKS:
- 1.5 #5. HELKO WERK:
- 1.6 #6. GERBER:
- 1.7 #7. SOG:
- 1.8 #8. HULTS BRUK:
- 1.9 #9. Hultafors:
- 1.10 #10. WETTERLINGS:
- 1.11 #11. COLD STEEL:
- 1.12 #12. GARDENA:
- 1.13 #13. OCHSENKOPF:
- 1.14 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 1.14.1 Question #1. What type of AXE should I buy?
- 1.14.2 Question #2. Is a maul or AXE better for splitting wood?
- 1.14.3 Question #3. Should you split wood before seasoning?
- 1.14.4 Question #4. How heavy should an AXE be?
- 1.14.5 Question #5. What’s the best AXE for chopping wood?
- 2 In Conclusion
DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. I WILL ONLY EVER PROMOTE THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT I TRUST AND 100% RECOMMEND.
You are looking for the best wood axe brands to buy for your own. You might be face difficulties to have ideas about all the best brands in the axe industry.
Like you, I have faced the same difficulty, when I was searching for the best brand for me.
From that, I made up my mind to write an article for my readers. It will dentally help you out to decide with having an idea with world-recognized brands.
In this article, I have tried to discuss every perspective of the brand. Moreover, I have an emphasis on their previous background that how they come up and establish their business from the time being and how they create their position to lead the axe industry globally.
I believe you will get a complete idea about the global brands of axes. I have collected all the valid information from reliable and authentic sources.
Let’s jump to the main topic.
Best Wood Axe Brands in 2020
Here I have discussed the 13 brands. These brands are globally recognized in the wood axe industry.
FISKARS is a well-reputed and worldwide recognized brand for both professionals and the homeowner in the sector of garden tools.
FISKARS has outstanding product range providing innovative and durable tools, quality performance, and services with exclusive features and values. For that reason, FISKARS is an excellent choice among all users and consumers.
FISKARS established in the year of 1649. FISKARS originated in Finland and it’s headquartered is located at Helsinki, Finland.
FISKARS has a wide range of products to solve the problems to improve and easier in our day to day life by designing innovative and superior products for home, garden and outdoors. They have all varieties of product line-up starting from children’s tools to building and construction tools.
Related Post: Fiskars Hookaroon Buyer’s Guide.
FISKARS creates a leading position as global suppliers in more than 60 countries for delivering products to their desired customers.
Along with their official online stores, FISKARS products are also available on Amazon, eBay, and Walmart.
Our recommended Best Fiskars Wood Axe on Amazon:
Many people have heard the name HUSQVARNA in the sector of advanced instrumental tools like lawnmowers or even the modern tractors. But most people have not any idea about this brand are manufacturing incredible wooden handle axes.
HUSQVARNA is the global leader producing forest and garden tools and provides service.
HUSQVARNA started its journey in the year of 1689 by establishing a State-owned rifle factory in the southern part of Sweden.
From the very beginning, HUSQVARNA outsources and produce their axe from international brands like Wetterlings and Hultafors Burks.
HUSQVARNA is selling their products around the globe through 25,000+ independent dealers. Not only that they also take orders from various e-store like Amazon.
Our recommended Best Husqvarna Wood Axe on Amazon:
- Multi-purpose axe is a single-bit axe in traditional style
- Head is attached to the hickory shaft using both a wooden and Steel Wedge to secure fastening
- Versatile axe used for tree felling, wood chopping, and other jobs
- The long handle provides power to the cut
- Includes a leather edge cover
ESTWING is a prestigious and reliable brand among professionals. This is because of designing innovative products with the highest value and maintaining the standards.
ESTWING is specialized and renowned for striking and struck tools like hammers or axes. Every tradesman and craftsman are comfortable using their products because of longevity and attractiveness.
The brand ESTWING Is founded by Ernest Estwing in the year of 1923 and the manufacturing plant had set up in the northern Illinois city of Rockford.
From the very beginning, ESTWING is focusing on innovative product design. As a successful result, they have launched a new shock reduction grip. This innovative grip system is comfortable to use and helps to reduce decrease the vibration caused by impact. In this way, the brand creates value for its customers.
ESTWING is producing different types of products including Hammer, Axe, Bricklayer, Geological, Drywall, Roofing, Pry Bars, Dead blow, Sure Strike, etc.
This brand has stored in e-Commerce like Amazon.
Our recommended Best Estwing Wood Axe on Amazon:
- FORGED IN ONE PIECE – The most durable, longest lasting striking tools available
- OUTDOOR VERSITILITY – Perfect for chopping logs, small trees & branches or splitting firewood & kindling
- HEAVY DUTY SHEATH – Includes ballistic nylon sheath to protect hand sharpened cutting edge. 2.75 or 3.25 inches edge
- GENUINE LEATHER GRIP – Hand sanded and lacquered for a durable yet comfortable finish
- MADE IN THE USA – Our tools are proudly crafted in Rockford, IL using the finest American steel
#4. GRANSFORS BRUKS:
Another popular and renowned brand GRANSFORS BRUKS is originated in Sweden in the year of 1902. This organization is situated in a village of Gransfors in northern Halsingland.
GRANSFORS BRUKS is famous for manufacturing hand-forged axes over 100 years. During manufacture, this brand is focused on three major prospective for which it creates uniqueness and differentiates from others. I want to sum up into three points:
GRANSFORS BRUKS is potential to produce the best axe to increase its functionality and serving high quality according to the area of application
The best utilizing of its natural resources without or less impacting the environment as much as possible.
GRANSFORS BRUKS provides value and respect to the individual people working for manufacturing the products for their tremendous effort. GRANSFORS BRUKS classified their axes into four different categories according to the specific areas of application.
- Forest Axe
- Splitting Axe
- Log-building and Carpentry Tools
- Double Bit Axe
This brand is capable to produce 80 % of its product for global export and they export their product in 30 countries.
Our recommended Best GRANSFORS BRUKS Wood Axe on Amazon:
- Length with handle: 25 inch, Item-ID: 430
- Weight: 2.6 lbs
- Sheath in vegetable tanned leather
- Comes with Original Gransfors Axebook
- Made in Sweden
#5. HELKO WERK:
HELKO WERK has a historical background of manufacturing axes and in this way, they are serving their customers years after years.
The HELKO Enterprise started the journey in Cronenberg, Germany in the year of 1844 by a family member is Helsper. In this way, the family achieved a reputation for manufacturing high-quality tools for woodworking in European countries.
After originated in Germany, an American based company KOTTHAUS come up and joined as a partner with the “Helsper Tool Company”. Then the name changed as Helko in the year of 1930.
HELKO WERK offered and introduced “Vario 2000” an innovatively designed product for the customers in the market.
HELKO WERK has an exclusive collection including the traditional and classical designed axes, hatchets, and splitting mauls.
HELKO WERK is more concerned about the safety of its products.
Not only that they offer the privilege warranty for their customers. They have a dedicated customer service unit where you share anything before or after purchasing their product.
Besides their official website, they have stored in Amazon.
Our recommended Best Helko Werk Wood Axe on Amazon:
- HANDMADE IN GERMANY - The Rheinland pattern - a traditional German wide-bit blade - is exceptionally well suited for cutting work. These hatchets perform well at limbing branches, bushcraft, splitting kindling, carving, and other light and fine cutting work. Can also be a handy survival hatchet, camping axe, survival axe, and used for axe throwing or as a backpacking hatchet
- C50 HIGH CARBON STEEL - 53-56 HRC - Helko Werk axe heads are open face drop forged by hand from German C50 high grade carbon steel. Dropforging is a process in which the blacksmith uses tongs to hold hot steel as a drop hammer falls repeatedly onto it. This hatchet is handmade and handforged, just like the other axes and hatchets in the Traditional line
- GRADE A AMERICAN HICKORY HANDLE - LINSEED OIL FINISH - 150 GRIT SANDED Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory handle individually hand finished and selected for grain orientation and density with a boiled linseed oil finish and sanded to 150 grit for a comfortable and smooth finish on your axe handle
- INCLUDES FULL GRAIN LEATHER SHEATH - 1 OZ. BOTTLE OF AXE GUARD PROTECTIVE OIL All Helko Werk Axes include a vegetable-tanned premium leather axe sheath to protect your axes and hatchets
- DIMENSIONS Head Weight: 1.25 lb / Length: 14 in. / Total Weight: 2 lb
GERBER is one of the renowned brands for hunting tools and outdoor gadgets. The most popular gadget is knives because they design problem-solving products for saving a human’s life.
Gerber is an American brand. It was founded in Portland, Oregon, the USA in the year of 1939.
They design their product by a specialized team including engineers. Most of the products are supplied to the soldiers of armed forces.
GERBER has a manufacturing unit for producing the axes. Their axes are stylish with an outstanding look.
GERBER also has a dedicated team for customer service. You can get support from customer service.
This brand has stored in e-Commerce like Amazon.
Our recommended Best GERBER Wood Axe on Amazon:
- PTFE coated blade reduces friction, chops clean.
- Forged steel head construction is durable for long term use.
- Composite handle is shock absorbent, reducing hand strain.
- Slim sheath ensures safe storage + transport.
- Chop deeper with control + efficiency.
SOG is another top brand in axe industry. But this brand is Similar to GERBER. Because both brands started their journey with a knife and both of them are the pioneer.
SOG started their journey in Vietnam. Spencer Frazer inspires to recreate the setup and found SOG Knives after 1986. His mission was to recreate the SOG Bowie Knife. Now SOG knife is worldwide recognized and reliable among all around the world.
SOG is popular for manufacturing hunting tools and outside the gadget. As a part of their mission, SOG focused on producing axe for camp to solve the problem of human’s life.
This brand has stored in e-Commerce like Amazon.
Our recommended Best SOG Wood Axe on Amazon:
- 3 Stainless Steel Throwing Tomahawks: Each hardcased black throwing hatchet in this throwing axe set features 1.75-inch full tang tactical hatchet blade; tomahawk pack
- 10.75 Inch Full-Tang Construction: Flimsy axes and hatchets are dangerous! This SOG tomahawk outdoor set is built to last and comes as sharp as any other SOG tactical tomahawk
- Throw and Stick Easy: 25.4 oz. survival axe set is perfectly balanced for beginners or pros with superior grip and full-on fun right out of the box; these 8.4 oz. throwing axes feature removable paracord handles for your preferred grip/wrap
- All-in-One Ballistic Nylon Hatchet Sheath: Carry your throwing hatchet set in one convenient 3-pocket throwing hatchet sheath; secure each tomahawk throwing axe in the camping axe sheath with Velcro straps
- SOG for Life: Take care of your axes and hatchets and we’ll take care of you; we gladly consider repairs and replacements for your properly maintained SOG tomahawk throwing hatchets
#8. HULTS BRUK:
HULTS BRUK is Swedish Brand manufacturing axes since 1697. This brand focus on perfection to design and manufacture axes in an artistic manner over the last three centuries.
HULTS BRUK plant is established just north of the Swedish city of Norrkoping because of manufacturing facilities and advantages.
It started a journey from shipbuilding and making iron bars. Wealthy nobles enjoy the ownership from the year 1697 to 1870. Ekulands family took the lead and charge over 100 years. After 1870 the owner started making axe as per the state-of-the-art American Production method. In this way, they started the journey.
In 1988 all the facilities are owned by Tors Hammare. Near about 100,000 axes heads are hand forged every year by 20 people.
HULTS BRUK produces a wide range of axes according to the application. Ranging from lightweight hatchets to heavyweight axes.
The axes are manufacture by a skilled professional with care. Because they ensure perfection in every aspect of their creation. Another feature of this brand is durability.
This brand has a diversified collection of axes, hatchets, splitting, and felling. This brand has a wide range of distribution throughout America.
You can order from their online store on Amazon.
Our recommended Best HULTS BRUK Wood Axe on Amazon:
- See main description
- Item Brand: Hults Bruk
- Item Number: 33153
Hultafors is a worldwide recognized brand for producing hand tools. This brand is designing and serving innovative handmade tool for the craftsman around the globe for over 130 years.
All the journey began in 1883. Karl-Hilmer Johansson Kollén was the designer of the world-renowned folding ruler.
This brand is reliable among all the professionals for their incredible design and innovation for every purpose.
This brand has a wide range of collection of hand tools. They develop their product according to various applications. Furthermore, they provide value for their customers through their products.
Their product is ranging from measuring to leveling products and functional with better precision.
This brand has a motto to offer other professionals functionality, safety, protection, efficiency at work
They mainly produce the following items:
- Folding Rules
- Spirit Levels
- Wrecking Bars
You may collect your product from Amazon.
Our recommended Best Hultafors Wood Axe on Amazon:
- Made in Sweden
- High Carbon Steel
- Hand Forged
WETTERLINGS evoked at the end of the nineteenth century. This brand is owned by the GRANSFORS BRUKS in 2006. Both brands are Swedish and making the best quality axes for forestry.
Svan Axel Wetterling initiated a journey in 1880. His brother Otto planned to study industrial axe manufacturing in America. At that time the forest industry was rising. After came back from the USA, Otto moved their forge to Storvik. At that time their annual production of axes was 20,000.
With the flow of time, they have changed their strategies and they introduced innovation in their production. As a part of that, they started other products like a hammer. In this way, they were added value to their customers.
WETTERLINGS is growing higher and faster. There is a huge possibility of forge will stop production for the WETTERLINGS brand.
Wetterling is the brand manufacture the classical and traditional axes in Sweden
Their product lineup includes as follows.
- Splitting Mauls
They also have a web store on Amazon. You can also purchase from that store based on availability.
#11. COLD STEEL:
COLD STEEL INC. established in the year 1980. Like Gerber, SOG this brand started their journey by producing quality knives in the world. Cold steel had dominated the market share over the last thirty years. This brand took the pioneer position for innovation of the knife industry. The main feature of this brand is manufacturing the strongest and sharpest knives in the world.
They have wide ranges of product categories:
- Folding Knives
- Fixed Knives
- Throwing knives
- Axes & Tomahawks
They have a showroom located in California and all-around America
You can order online either from their official website or e-commerce store of Amazon.
Our recommended Best COLD STEEL Wood Axe on Amazon:
- The historically-inspired Viking Hand Axe is a design collaboration between Lynn C. Thompson, and custom bladesmiths Dave Baker and Rich McDonald
- The stout 30" American Hickory handle, extra broad and sharp cutting edge, hooking “beard”, and up-swept thrusting “horn” combine to make a formidable fighting axe that would be the pride of any Viking’s collection
- A Cor-Ex sheath, which is sold separately, is available for the Viking Bearded Axe
- Blade Material: 1055 Carbon
- Specifications - Blade Length: 6 inches; Handle Length: 30 inches; Weight: 17.6 ounces
GARDENA is originated in Germany and It becomes the most reliable brand for home and garden care among their worldwide customers. Gardena is a member of Husqvarna Group from the year of 2007.
For that reason, UNICEF makes a partnership with GARDENA for supporting water and sanitation all around the world as part of sustainable development.
Another interesting fact is that Gardena and UNICEF have signed a special project “Every Drop Counts” on March 22, 2018, and this day is remarkable for World Water Day. Under this project, there is a motto to ensure clean and healthy drinking water for more 100,000 people for the next three years. Not only that they will also provide sanitation for hygiene in case emergency facilities.
They have started their venture 50 years back in the year of 1961 and Eberhard Kastner and Werner Kress is the founder of Gardener in Ulm. They have successfully introduced the Original Gardena System in 1968 by launching accessories product for watering such as tap connector and hose connector.
From the year of 1973, they have focused on innovative product design and introduced different types of easy and powerful gardening products into the market. For their problem-solving tools and applications bring comfort and better user experience among their customers.
Gardena is the best choice for the professionals because they provide every aspect of the solution in home and garden improvement. The product categories are Given below:
- Lawn Care
- Tree & Shrub Care
- Soil & Ground
- Smart System
- City Gardening
Under the category of Lawn Tree and Shrub care, Axe is a product of Gardena.
Gardena axe is designed for felling, splitting, and hewing purposes. The axe is sharp, strong, powerful, durable with lifelong safety and precious outcomes.
This brand manufacture universal Hatchets which is small, a one-handed form of axe to take outside activities and ideals for tracking and camping.
This brand has stored in e-Commerce like Amazon.
Our recommended Best GARDENA Wood Axe on Amazon:
- Weight distribution gives better splitting power
- Hook-shaped handle prevents slipping and stops your hand before the end of the axe; soft components give additional hold
- Stainless steel impact protection that protects where axes are most frequently hit
- Long Life; Over-injected axe head made from high quality carbon steel, glass-fiber reinforced plastic, shaft protection made of stainless steel
The most ancient and historical brand ever is OCHSENKOPF. This company started the operation as axe forge and still, it is renowned as the oldest axe forge in the world.
The Fahlefeld Bros started the operation in 1781. From the very beginning, this company has a mission to establish the OCHSENKOPF as a top tier brand in terms of every aspect.
Manufacturing quality and standard products with excellent service is the top priority of this brand. This brand also tends to set up a benchmark in precision and perfection.
However, this motive is responsible to accelerate the craftsmanship in the level of excellence. So, based on experience and technical progress they are growing with innovation and creating value for the brands.
GEDORE is another Group of companies that have vast expertise in the engineering sector and GEDORE Werkzeugfabrik GmbH & Co. KG already established a manufacturing unit for high-quality forestry tools and equipment. As part of the business, OCHSENKOPF merged with the GEDORE Group since 2004.
This brand also ensures the safety and warranty for the user. In this way, they create a competitive advantage and add value to the customers.
The products under this brand are specialized in splitting and felling. They have varieties of the model under the same item.
The most selling item is the ILTS High-Performance Axe. They also have Universal Gold Axes, Splitting Axes, and splitting Hammers.
This brand has stored in e-Commerce like Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question #1. What type of AXE should I buy?
Answer: Before the purchase of axe, first of all, you have to consider your purpose. We can classify axe into three categories according to the functions. They are:
There is a little bit misconception about the axe. Though axe is a broad spectrum to categorize including felling axes, tomahawks, and hatchets.
Cutting vs Splitting Axe:
Mainly profile of an axe is the key component to make differentiate the cutting axe from the splitting axe.
In the case of the Cutting axe, profiles will be thinner than the profiles of splitting axes. Because in cutting axes all the energy goes to at the very first of a smaller contact point. Meanwhile, you will find the profile of the splitting axe is wider and the wedge-shaped profile will split the wood into two pieces.
The length of axe is another consideration before purchasing an axe. It will depend upon your purpose.
There are three different sizes of axes, such as
- Pocket axe: usually 30 cm handle length
- Hatchets: up to 45 cm
- Felling axe: 60 cm
Though the size is not a major issue. You can purchase any size of axe whatever you want and according to your wish.
Handle material is an important issue before buying an axe.
You will find either wood or metal in the market. But in a few cases, you will find FRN or G10.
Wood made handle axe is concerned as simple and effective. It also gives a classical and traditional look. You can easily replace it according to your wish.
The handle of hatchets and small axes are made of metal. Metal is really strong and durable. It is cheaper than any other axes.
You should also consider about the handle material before purchasing an axe.
Question #2. Is a maul or AXE better for splitting wood?
Answer: From these both which one is best for you, that completely depends upon your purpose.
If you want to split the wood for any occasional purpose, then you have to decide for buying splitting axe.
Otherwise, if you are professional and need a huge amount of wood to keep your house warm, then you need to prefer maul.
Question #3. Should you split wood before seasoning?
Answer: This is better to split the wood before the season.
Question #4. How heavy should an AXE be?
Answer: You have to choose an axe based on head weight and handle length. You might not choose the axes heavier than you.
The weight might be varying according to your needs. It also needs to be suitable and comfortable for you. The suitable weight might be on an average of 2-3 pounds to carry out. But in the case of splitting it can be higher than the normal weight.
Question #5. What’s the best AXE for chopping wood?
Answer: Here I have mentioned few models according to the brand for the best chopping wood axe. From that, you may choose your preferred product.
- Fiskars: X7 Hatchet, X 27 Super Splitting Axe, 28” Chopping Axe
- Husqvarna: 26” Wood Cutters Axe, H-900 Composite
- Estwing: 14” Sportsman’s Axe, 26” All-Steel Axe
- Gerber: 23.5” Axe, Bear Grylls Survival Hatchets
- Hults Bruk: Kelix Fell Axe,
- Hultafors: Classic Hunting Axe,
- Granfors Bruk: Small Forest Axe
Here is a glimpse or an overview of the best wood axe brands.
I hope it will be more informative and helpful for you if you want to get an idea about the global brand of axe wood.