Table of Contents
- 1 List of Different Types of Hand Saws
- 2 List of Different Types of Power Saws
- 2.1 #1. A bandsaw (stationery):
- 2.2 #2. A bandsaw (portable):
- 2.3 #3. Chainsaw:
- 2.4 #4. Chop Saw:
- 2.5 #5. Circular Saw:
- 2.6 #6. Compound Miter Saw:
- 2.7 #7. Flooring Saw:
- 2.8 #8. Jigsaw:
- 2.9 #9. Miter Saw:
- 2.10 #10. Radial Arm Saw:
- 2.11 #11. Reciprocating Saw:
- 2.12 #12. Rotary Saw:
- 2.13 #13. Scroll Saw:
- 2.14 #14. Table Saw:
- 2.15 #15. Masonry Saw:
- 2.16 #16. Oscillating Saw:
- 2.17 #17. Pole Saw
- 2.18 #18. Track Saw/Plunge Saw
- 2.19 #19. Panel Saw
- 3 Final Words
FramingNailersGuide is reader-supported. If you buy an item through the links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more
As we know there are different types of saws are available on the market in 2021.
Do you know about all the forms, I am sure you don’t?
If you want to have a collection of tools, then include various types in the collection.
People have been using saws for thousands of years, and even if many technologies have arrived in the market, the saw has kept its demand as before.
You can keep from coping saw to the hacksaw in your toolbox, even more than one of the same kind.
With the shape of the saw and teeth, one has a function that is different from another.
So here I am introducing you to different saw types, stay here with me.
Let’s watch the below video to know what saw types we need for which job.
List of Different Types of Hand Saws
Description of the different hand saw types and their importance and benefits are given below:
#1. Back Saw:
A back saw is a hand saw. A back saw is relatively smaller than other saws, and the blade is narrow. As its name, it reinforced along the top edge. The common use of back saw is with miter boxes.
When there is a need for fine and straight cut consistently, the back is too effective for that purpose. Depending on region and design, people also gave its name as miter saws or tenon saws. For 45 degrees and 90 degrees cutting corners, one can use a miter saw or back saw.
Our recommended Best Back Saws on Amazon:
- Universal teeth for general use, cuts along and across the grain
- Brass back for maximum rigidity
- For joint cutting & sawing small pieces of wood and wood based materials
- Comfortable wooden handle securely fixed by rivets
- High carbon steel blade
#2. Bow Saw:
Bow saw is also a hand saw. Which looks like a bow? It is one kind of bow saw which has a relatively long blade. It is preferable to use a bow saw outside of the home than inside. The blade has crosscut teeth to remove materials when you are pushing or pulling.
These saws have numerous applications outside the home. You can use these saws for trimming trees, pruning, cutting logs, etc. But you can also use these for other rough cuts.
Making both curved and straight cuts can be made with a bow saw. People also know these saw as Finn saws, swede saws, and buck saws.
Our recommended Best Bow Saws on Amazon:
- 30 inches long
- Designed to cut through Green wood
- Designed for demanding applications and tough environments of construction sites
- Innovative tensioning mechanism for high blade tension and straight cutting
- Made of lightweight, high quality steel tubing for durability and easy handling
#3. Coping Saw:
Coping saw is one of the many hand saws. D-shaped frame holds a thin blade in coping saw. It looks simple much useful. You can cut both wood and metal using this saw, and it has different types of blades.
The most feasible feature of the coping saw is, you can remove and insert the blade when it is necessary to use other types of blades.
For cutting curves, molding, joining this saw is useful. Works require precision and intricate cuts going to need this tool. One can also use these for trim work and scrolling.
Our recommended Best Coping Saw on Amazon:
- This is a sturdy, professional saw that allows standard pin end coping saw blades to be tensioned at both ends
- Blades can be turned 360 to saw in any direction- push or pull stroke
- Hard wood handle
- Power source type: Hand Powered
#4. Crosscut Saw:
Crosscut saw is a very useful hand saw. For cutting wood perpendicular to the grain, the crosscut saw works better.it has a thick blade for rough cutting wood and has large, beveled teeth.
Crosscut saw has both small and large sizes which vary with the nature of the work.
Choose a small one for use in precision woodworking and a large one for coarse woodwork. It is the oldest type of saw that the ancient nations use. It is a great saw for camping and the job site.
Our recommended Best Crosscut Saw on Amazon:
- Beech handle, plus auxiliary handle for use as a two-man version if required
- Special Great American Tooth pattern for use on logs, etc.
- Can be re-sharpened using a large triangular file
- British CS80 Steel, 1.5mm thick blade
- Each tooth is hand set
#5. Fret Saw:
Especially for cutting tight curves, you are going to need a fret saw. It is one of the hand saws. Even though the coping saw is one kind of fret saw but fret saw can perform more delicate cuts. If you are to make tighter radii, select this saw.
You can make intricate cuts in the woods using it. The frame of this saw is deep (10 to 20 inches) and has a short 5 inches’ blade. Rotating the blade will not be possible for you. For allowing a much tighter cut, there may have 32 teeth every inch. The blade of it is more fragile than the coping saw.
Our recommended Best Fret Saw on Amazon:
- Screw tension model
- The screw tension saw was the origin of the Knew Concepts Fret saw line
- Extremely precise blade tensioning simply by turning the knurled tension nut
- Supplied with a 15 TPI #7 skip-tooth blade
Hacksaw is one of the most common saw types, and a hand saw. These are lightweight, and you can use these saws in versatile cases- any material such as metal, plastic, wood as well as other materials.
The frame is a C frame, and the fine-toothed blade is tensioned in it. The blade has teeth about 18 to 32 per inch. We need to take special care for cleaning when cutting aluminum because it can gum it.
Hacksaw is the Best Way to Cut Plastic.
Our recommended Best hacksaw on Amazon:
- The LENOX hacksaw uses an I-beam construction, allowing the blade to tension up to 50,000 psi
- Rubberized handles allow for confident handling, even in wet and cold environments
- Hacksaw accepts any LENOX reciprocating saw blade to be used as a jab saw
- LENOX hacksaw stores up to 5 extra 12-inch hacksaw blades in the I-beam
- All hacksaw come with one 12-inch, 24 TPI hacksaw blade
#7. Japanese Saw:
Also called a ‘dozuki‘ and the use is in Japanese carpentry and woodworking. Built with one single handle and has a thin and strong blade. The advantage of using it is it can reach those places where other saws can’t reach. The cutting will leave a thinner cut width, and it is more efficient.
There are two types of teeth in a Japanese saw. Crosscut teeth make a guide path, rip teeth help to finish the cut. But you can’t use this saw to cut hardwood which you can do easily with western saws. These are the best ones for pine and cypress-type softwood. Dozuki, ryoba, kataba are the types of Japanese saw.
Our recommended Best Japanese Saw on Amazon:
- JAPANESE STYLE PULL SAW: This product is a “Pull Saw.” What most people are used to are European saws, which cut materials via pushing, thus are called “push saws.” On the other hand, Japanese saws cut materials via pulling and thus are called “pull saws,” which is what this product is. In comparison to “push saws,” “pull saws” are lighter in weight, requires less power, and the resulting edge is cleaner.
- JAPANESE STEEL: All SUIZAN Japanese saws are consisted of top quality japanese steel. It uses high quality Japanese steel, which makes cuts to be sharp.
- MADE IN JAPAN: All SUIZAN products are manufactured in Japan by Japanese master craftsmen.With a history of over 100 years in making japanese hand tools, all of the process gone into making tools were completed in one of Japan’s towns known for their craft making tradition: Sanjō in Niigata
- DIVERSIFY YOUR WOODWORKING LIFE: No matter you are a master or a beginner in using saws, it gives you brand new experience from using traditional Japanese style saws and enables you to make a wider variety of woodworking products, thus change your life!
#8. Keyhole Saw:
This is another hand saw which seems like the sword of a swordfish. The other names of this saw are drywall saw, alligator saw, pad saw, jab saw. The keyhole saw has a round handle.
It is versatile even if this saw is much narrow. You can easily cut circles, curves frets using this saw, and even where other types of saws can’t work.
These are very lightweight. When you need to remove or replace a small section and where there is a possibility of damage to the interior wall because of powered tools, choose this saw. There are fixed bladed and retractable bladed keyhole saws.
Our recommended Best Keyhole Saw on Amazon:
- Wood Handle
- Blade Size - 6 in.
- High Quality New!!!!!!!
- Excellent Quality.
- Great Gift Idea.
#9. Pruning Saw:
The pruning saw has a pistol grip-type handle and has a 13″ to 15″ curved blade. The hand saw’s blade is wide, and the coarse teeth can cut in both directions so that the material can remove faster.
Homeowners are the one who keeps this saw in their toolbox. But also tree surgeons, lawn services, landscapers use this tool frequently.
Our recommended Best Pruning Saw on Amazon:
- PREMIUM STEEL: The blade of this saw garden is made of High Carbon Steel SK-5, featuring super sharp teeth for more aggressive and faster cutting.
- GREAT ANTICORROSIVE ABILITY: Antirust Paint sprays the blade, which makes folding saw still sharp and durable after connecting with plant fluid.
- SECURE LOCK MECHANICS: The secure locking system keeps saw blade firmly in place during use and safe when not in use.
- COMFORT ERGONOMIC HANDLE: Ergonomically curved, handle is comfortable and secure; soft-touch handles and non-slip surface covers TPR grips reduce hand and arm fatigue while working
- WIDE APPLICATION: Fully tested, this sturdy folding saw can be used as a pruner for garden pruning, sawing fence posts and other DIY wood cutting, camping kit equipment, survival gear kit, hiking accessory.
#10. Rip cut Saw:
People refer to it simply as “handsaw”. One must keep this saw if he commonly does the framing. Rip cut saw has relatively fewer teeth per inch, but these are so sharp to remove the materials. Ripsaw and crosscut saw may seem the same as you, but the difference is in their function.
It cuts wood parallel to the grain which is just opposite to the crosscut saw. The teeth are angled backward about 8 degrees when the crosscut has 15 degree angled teeth. It is like a knife that severs the fibers.
Typically, it has 5 teeth per inch. For making a finer cut, you can choose by using a rip-cut saw. Who works with wood would going to have different lengths’ rip cut wood.
Our recommended Best Rip-Cut Saw on Amazon:
- Exceptional quality tools from Crown Hand Tools Ltd, Sheffield, England
- Taper ground from nickel chrome alloy steel
- Stained beech handle secured with screws
- Teeth are set and sharpened
- 4.5 teeth per inch
#11. Veneer Saw:
Another highly specialized hand saw. In the design of the veneer saw there has a double-edged blade that has 13 teeth per inch. The blade is about 3 to 4 inches. It is a small saw and useful for cutting hardware veneers. The advantage of it is, you can use both edges for cutting.
For doing veneering works, it is essential to have a veneer saw. The veneer is made of fine wood. You can apply it to coarser wood which makes the panel flat. Maybe the veneer wood is thin, but the knife can’t cut it. In that case, using a veneer saw is a wise decision.
Our recommended Best Veneer Saw on Amazon:
- This saw is made by Thomas Flinn of Sheffield England the last traditional saw and plane maker in the UK.
- Saw plate is 0.022 inches thick with no set smooth for smooth and controlled cutting..
- Saw plate is 3 inches long by 2 inches wide with 15 TPI.
- The solid walnut handle is 1-1/4 inches in diameter and 5 inch long. Handle had solid brass ferrule.
- The saw plate is made from high carbon allow steel for durability and ease of sharpening. Teeth can be resharpened.
#12. Wallboard Saw:
It may seem to you similar to a keyhole saw. The wallboard saw is shorter in length but has a wider blade. Generally, there is always one edged blade in the wallboard saw, but the double-edged blade is not uncommon in the case of a wallboard saw.
The blade has fewer teeth per inch than other saws. If you need to puncture through paneling, then this saw is fruitful. For power tools there may need a starter hole, this saw does this job well. It is a hand saw.
Our recommended Best Wallboard Saw on Amazon:
- Hardened and Tempered Teeth Stay Sharper Longer
- Double Edge Design for Easier and Faster Cutting
- Pointed Tip for Plunge Cuts
- Oversized Rubber Grip Handle for Reduced Fatigue
- Limited Lifetime
#13. Camping Saw/Backpacking Saw
Also called backpacking saw. As the name is related to camping, so this type of saw is beneficial if you are planning for camping anywhere. This is lightweight and small, it will save your space, and for sure your luggage will not be weighty.
A camping saw is handy to clear the campsite, for getting firewood as well as for pesky prune trees from your camp yard.
Our recommended Best Camping Saw on Amazon:
- ✔LENGTH MATTERS - While other 24 inch saws are too short, too weak, or simply just break after a few uses, our saw has a full longer, thicker 36" chain (EXCLUDING HANDLES). The bi directional, self cleaning chainsaw style cutting teeth tears through wood cutting both ways! Made of high 65 mn high carbon heat treated steel, the longer chain equals incredibly fast cutting time with razor sharp blades sawing 3 sides of a limb at once...clearly out classing the competition.
- ✔QUALITY DOES COUNT! - Our saw rips through anything from thin branches to large tree trunks in seconds. Cuts over head branches with ease. Our Saw has heavy duty rugged handles with metal brackets and can easily be re-sharpened unlike other sharp pointed pocket saws. Our Pocket Chainsaw comes with a tough nylon front snap storage pouch and belt loop. It can be sharpened with a regular 5/32 round chainsaw file. Perfect Multitool for all your Bushcraft needs.
- ✔THE MOST DURABLE SURVIVAL HAND SAW ON AMAZON - You can find pocket saws for less, but they offer you MUCH less. We all know, typically if you spend less now, you'll pay MORE later as the quality of hand chainsaws are NOT all the same Other CHEAPER saws are simply made with a thinner chain & handles You get what you pay for and we guarantee our heavy duty saw for "LIFE"... for a reason.
- ✔OUR 100% IRON CLAD LIFETIME GUARANTEE COMMITMENT TO YOU - We fully stand behind our TOP RATED, BEST SELLING Saw. If we didn't we wouldn't offer you a LIFETIME GUARANTEE! If you're not impressed or satisfied after using our cool saw, Sportsman Industries offers a full 100%, no questions asked, Money Back Guarantee. (Find another vendor that will do that!)
- ✔SPORTSMAN INDUSTRIES TM SINCE 2013 - HAS BEEN AS SEEN ON *FOX NEWS *CBS *NBC *ABC and now TV. This tree pruning saw is perfect for Boy Scouts, your Bug Out Bag, Landscapers or your Emergency Gear. Use it to clear mountain bike or ATV trails or when off-roading. Makes a great gift for any occasion! Each saw comes with a bonus 8 mm diameter magnesium Fire Starter.
#14. Wire Saw
This type of saw uses metal wire or cable for cutting. The industrial wire saws are powered saw. A wire saw is similar to a reciprocating saw or band saw. Engineers use this saw in the laboratories for cutting substrates, fragile crystals, and other materials.
A continuous type of wire saw is suitable for cutting walls and other big constructions. It’s also commonly used in Quarrying and mining industries for cutting hard stones into big blocks.
Our recommended Best Wire Saw on Amazon:
- Material: Stainless Steel ,Length:Approx 71cm/27.6inches
If you want to know about the different hand saw types with their uses, watch the video.
List of Different Types of Power Saws
#1. A bandsaw (stationery):
It is a power saw which is tall and floor standing. There are pulleys attach to it above and below. The pulleys help to move the continuous band for cutting most materials. Fine teeth are also taken part in this job.
These are perfect for cutting curves into the wood. As well as for cutting it can cut tubes and PVC. But it has a certain limit to depth. You can cut thinner boards using it by keeping it on its edge and ripping it using a fence. But you have to have patience. Otherwise, you can cause a hamper to the task.
Our recommended Best Bandsaw (stationery) on Amazon:
- Ideal for cutting irregular shapes and ripping lumber into thinner pieces
- The 11-3/4" x 11-3/4" Spacious work surface helps you to get the job done with enough room to stretch
- To quickly make the right angle and height changes, a convenient rack and pinion table adjustment is found on the band saw
- This compact form of the band saw allows it to be used on almost any flat, sturdy surface with ease!
- To minimize dust and debris in the work space, a dust port is available to attach a vacuum hose (Hose not included)
#2. A bandsaw (portable):
If you want to do the same job you did use a band saw (stationery) outside your home or another garage, take this portable band saw with you. It can do most of the jobs that its brother does and also the advantage is it has a portable facility.
You have the limitation of the pipe depth for cutting through it, typically 3 to 4-inch pipes. Give more effort to straightening the cut. For plumbers, welders, and metalworkers this tool is feasible that they can move it from one place to another.
Our recommended Best Bandsaw (portable) on Amazon:
- Industry best 10 amp motor designed with controlled power to withstand any jobsite application
- Industry best 5-inch deep cut capacity for round or rectangular stock.Max Capacity (Rectangular) 5 x 4-3/4 in
- Serviceable steel shroud and rubber bumpers allow guards to withstand jobsite abuse without damage
- LED sight light allows the user to see cut line in dark jobsite environment. Front Handle Style : Multi Position Bale
- Integrated hang hook allows user to hang the saw without damaging front handle or castings Variable speed dial allows user to vary speed for specific materials and various applications (100-350 spm)
A Chainsaw is another type of power saw, and a handheld band saw. As you can see from the name, you can have an idea that there is a chain attached to it. It has a linked chain with specially designed ripping teeth. For heavy-duty works, chainsaw takes part hugely.
The most common use of this tool is in cutting the tree and brush. Most of the saws have two stroked combustion engines. These are very loud and powerful. The electric chainsaw is also in use nowadays. Depending on the region, homeowners also keep this tool in the collection.
Our recommended Best Chainsaw on Amazon:
- Cordless chainsaw comes with low kick back 12-inch bar and chain for construction and outdoor cutting applications
- Compact, lightweight design (just 9 lbs. with battery) of the battery chainsaw for maximum user control
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the battery powered chainsaw maximizes runtime and motor life
- Up to 90 cuts per charge on 4x4 pressure treated wood (using a 20V MAX* 5Ah battery)
- Tool-free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob for proper bar clamping force
#4. Chop Saw:
It is one of the largest saws that have portability. It is the portable version of the circular saw. There are two versions of the chop saw: one is metal and another is a masonry cutting version.
The water line is connected to the concrete cutting saw for reducing the dust. The blade has not, but it has a design of special abrasive for cutting the materials. There have three names for this saw: 1. Cut-off saw 2. Concrete saw 3. Abrasive saw.
Our recommended Best Chop Saw on Amazon:
- 15 Amp, 3,800 RPM motor with replaceable brushes
- Quick-release material clamp
- Cutting fence with miter adjustment
- Heavy duty steel base for stability
- Spark deflector
#5. Circular Saw:
Circular saw has a popular brand name, Skilsaw. It is also a power saw. The blade has teeth that are 7 ¼ to 9 inches in diameter. These are the most common type of saw and can cut wood, metal, plastic, and many more.
The electric circular saw has two types: worm drive and sidewinder. Sidewinders weigh, and torque is less than worm drive saw. The motion is rotational which helps it to cut. There are different types of blades that you can use to cross-cut when needing it, again for rip cut if you want it.
Using a lever, you can fix the height of the blade. For adjusting the height move the shoe to the upward or downward direction and then lock the blade. But there is a limitation in the depth you should keep in mind.
Our recommended Best Circular Saw on Amazon:
- ➤METAL HANDLE & LASER DESIGN: Comes with a unique metal handle, which helps to reduce fatigue for one-hand working, offering stronger clamping force to make the cutting more stable. Easy and quick to install and disassemble by rotating the handle without any auxiliary tools. The laser guide ensures a professional and precise cutting line, convenient for cutting.
- ➤POWERFUL MOTOR & 6 BLADES: Features a 5. 8 Amps copper motor to deliver full-size performance at 3, 500 rpm, making cut wood, plastics, plaster board, PVC pipe, tile with ease. 6 Blades: 2x24T TCT(120mm) for wood cuts/ 2x60T HSS(115mm) for wood and soft metal cuts/ 2pcs grit diamond blade(115mm) for tile cuts, extending the applications of the compact circular saw.
- ➤FLEXIBLE 90° & 45° BEVEL CUTTING: Easy-set depth scaled gauge lever allows the cutting depth up to 1-11/16 inches(42. 9mm) at 90°; The bevel capacity at 45° is 1-3/8 inches (34. 9mm), you can decide your bevel cutting angle freely from 0° to 45°. Left-sided blade design for great cut-line visibility. A parallel guide attachment ensures straight, precise cuts easily and quickly.
- ➤SAFETY DESIGN & ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The double protection switch prevents the machine from accidentally opening, promises a safer cutting job. Motor postposition separates the front and rear gravity, promises a stable operation; Optimized ergonomic slim grip provides ease and less fatigue to one-handed operation.
- ➤VALUABLE ACCESSORIES: You will get: 1XTacklife TCS115A circular saw; 6 blades(2x120mm for wood cuts/2x115mm for wood and soft metal cuts/2x115mm for tile cuts); 1Xmetal handle; 1Xparallel guide; 1Xelbow dust port; 1Xhex key; user manual
#6. Compound Miter Saw:
For making straight, miter as well as compound cuts, have the compound miter saw. It is a miter saw on steroids and a power saw. For adjusting multiple angles, the blade is placed on an arm.
This mechanism also utilizes complex scrollwork and trim. If you want to trim out the window and add crown molding, nothing but compound, a miter saw can save your time other than any saws.
Our recommended Best Compound Miter Saw on Amazon:
- Your purchase includes: 1 CDEWALT DWS779 sliding compound cord miter saw, 12-inch, carbide blade, 1 blade wrench
- Tool dimensions: 17” H x 24.75” L. Tool weight: 56 pounds; Maximum cutting thickness: 6.75 inch
- Other specifications: 15 Amps, 12” blade diameter, 5/8” or 1” Arbor size. 3800 RPM motor. Type of milter saw: Slide
- Exclusive back fence design cuts up to 2x14 dimensional lumber at 90 degree and 2x12 at 45 degree. Miter saw does not come with LED (sold separately) or laser cutting guide
- Super-efficient dust collection system captures over 75 percent of dust generated
#7. Flooring Saw:
A flooring saw is a portable power saw. Like the name, it is used to re-saw flooring to fit. The materials may be hardwood, bamboo, or laminate. It is a specialized one that can replace the table saw, miter saw, and other tools that you need to cut flooring.
The biggest advantage is that it can save a lot of time of yours as you don’t have to move materials from one room to another or from the garage and vice versa.
And that way you can save your strength too. Not only flooring saw, but you will also find a few top-quality flooring nailers on the market in 2021.
Our recommended Best Flooring Saw on Amazon:
- Cuts solid, engineered and laminate flooring with ease
- Makes cross, miter and rip cuts
- Lightweight design for transport and use at any project location
- Miter detents at 0, 22.5 and 45 degrees
- Die-cast aluminum miter and rip fence
Manufacturers also name it sabre saw or bayonet saw. The blade has fine teeth which you can move up and down at different speeds.
Jigsaw has a special design to cut curves and no- straight lines. When cutting the curve, don’t apply force over it because of the force there may be an uneven cut.
The blade is small, so it is a weak one to apply force to the blade when cutting. In that case, steer the blade. Again your force can break the blade.
Another point is that controlling is a problem when working with a jigsaw. Better look for a long cord or cordless jigsaw in the market.
Our recommended Best Jigsaw on Amazon:
- Brushless motor delivers efficient performance for longer runtime (vs. Dcs331 Jig saw)
- Compact size for easy grip and maximum control
- Bright LED light helps to illuminate dimly lit work surfaces
- Variable speed trigger and dial provide precise speed control
- All-metal, lever-action keyless blade Change allows for quick and easy T-Shank blade changes
#9. Miter Saw:
For precise measurement, you can use a miter saw undoubtedly. It is an electric saw with multi-function. People use that tool for cutting wood perpendicular to the grain, for miter cuts, and when it needs to cut across the thickness of a sheet or board.
Again you can use this for mixing of bevel and miter cut. But first, before every job you have to fix the miter saw.
A blade is an important part of a miter saw. However, even for the expert, choosing a good miter saw blade can be a huge task. There are different sizes, different brands, and several materials to choose from. You will also have to think about the number of teeth you need to get the precise cut.
These saws have high degrees of accuracy, that’s why you can use these for wooden frames and molding. For rip cuts, you cannot use this saw. Also, you can use this injunction of tables.
Our recommended Best Miter Saw on Amazon:
- POWER AND DURABILITY: 15 amp, 3,800 rpm motor
- MITER DETENT PLATE IMPROVES PRODUCTIVITY AND ENSURES CUTTING ACCURACY: Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 14 positive stops
- MITER DENTENT OVERRIDE that allows you to override the miter stops and adjust to the desired setting without the saw slipping into the miter detents
- EASIER BEVEL CUTS: Tall sliding fences support crown molding up to 6-5/8-inch nested and base molding up to 6-1/2-inch vertically against the fence while easily sliding out of the way for bevel cuts
- CROSS CUT CAPACITY up to 2x8-Inch dimensional lumber at 90° and a 2x6-Inch dimensional lumber at 45°
#10. Radial Arm Saw:
There is a cutting table where there have an extended motor and blade placed. It is a power saw. One can easily make compound cuts, miter cuts, etc. using this tool. If you want, you can interchange the blades of a radial arm saw and a circular saw.
At first, verify the speed of the spin. When you slide the arm, it pulls the blade across the material. These are best for cutting long pieces of material, especially wood. One can easily use this tool for crosscutting.
Our recommended Best Radial Arm Saw on Amazon:
- Power Tools and Accessories
- Country of manufacture: Taiwan
- Manufacturer: Dayton
#11. Reciprocating Saw:
Like the jigsaw, you can move the blade of the reciprocating saw back and forth much quicker. It has a reciprocating blade which people call Sawzall. The blade is parallel. Easily you can cut woods, drywall, pipes, and many more using this saw.
Also, you can cut beneath walls and wood joints using it because the parallel blade can cut nails and wood. It is an invaluable saw for demolition work. Best Cordless Reciprocating saw has fineness lacking.
Our recommended Best Reciprocating Saw on Amazon:
- Compact and lightweight design
- Variable speed trigger with 0-2900 SPM
- Pivoting Shoe
- Bright LED Light
- Backed by dewalt's 3 year limited warranty
#12. Rotary Saw:
Rotary saws have a screwdriver-type handle which is small. The blade here is fixed with it. While you need access or repair a wall, then do it with a rotary saw because in these cases it is the ideal one. Workers use it for crafts for construction frequently.
It is effective for drywall, paneling, and other small cutting tasks like a keyhole saw. The saw resembles a drill. If you don’t want any pilot hole in the wall, this is going to the task well.
Our recommended Best Rotary Saw on Amazon:
- Brilliantly powerful – Cordless rotary tool with LED light offers the perfect combination of size, ergonomics, and power for precise and light-duty DIY projects.
- LED project light - Front end light illuminates projects for better visibility.
- High capacity rechargeable battery – 8 volt Lithium-Ion battery delivers compact power and longer run times. Always ready and no memory effects.
- Docking station – Continually charges the tool so it always fully charged and ready to use. LED battery life Indicator lets you know when it’s ready for a recharge. 3 hour & 45 minute charge time.
- Variable speed with LED dial – Achieve your optimal speed between 5,000 – 25,000 RPM using the LED speed dial indicator
#13. Scroll Saw:
At first glance, you may confuse the scroll saw with a sewing machine. Even some scroll saws are pedal operated. One can operate it with a band, and even a continuous or reciprocating blade.
The power saw’s features are similar to coping saws. It will suit you well for making the intricate curved cut. It is a type of band saw as it combines the functions of a coping saw and jigsaw.
The saw allows you to make interior cuts and there will be no entry point. There is a table with the scroll saw where you could lay a material and achieve precise rotation. These are best for creating curves with edges. Spinal lines or patterns can be done with the benefit of a table.
Our recommended Best Scroll Saw on Amazon:
- Double parallel link arm design dramatically reduces vibration and noise for extremely accurate cuts
- Exclusive tool free blade clamps allow blade changes in seconds. Depth of Cut (inches): 2 inch
- On off switch, electronic variable speed, flexible dust blower, and blade tensioning lever all located on front upper arm
- Arm design pivots from back of the saw to front, shortening the arm movement for smoother, quieter operation
- Arm lifts so blade can be easily threaded through the material for inside cuts
#14. Table Saw:
A table saw is a little larger than a circular saw. The combination is a blade on an arbor that is set on a table. The table supports the material which you will cut and the blade comes from under the table. As the blade is exposed so if you are not alert then you can hurt yourself.
You can control how much of the blade you want to expose. Thus, you can adjust the depth to cut. There are safety features in modern table saws like dust extractors, magnetic feather boards.
When there’s no necessity of exposing the blade so much, then by reducing the height you can avoid injury. For making numerous rip cuts identically sized pieces, table saws are great.
If you want to know the difference between a miter saw and a table saw, we think this article will help you.
Our recommended Best Table Saw on Amazon:
- 22 kilograms unit weight and optimized footprint make this the most portable saw in its class. Shoe bevels 0 to 45 for beveled cuts
- Steel roll cage protects saw against jobsite drops and impacts, rack and pinion fence system, front and rear fence lock and large, clear scales combine to give an extremely accurate and easy to use saw
- Powerful 1850 Watt motor for high performance in all applications. Max Rip To Left Of Blade 12 inch. Max Rip To Right Of Blade 20 inch
- Fence system provides 610 millimeter of rip capacity in a portable design for cutting large sheet materials to size
- Cast table top design ensures accuracy and precision, Overload protection system ensures powerful performance in hard, wet or frozen woods, Quick bevel lock with large scale for easy, accurate adjustments
#15. Masonry Saw:
The most common use of the masonry saw is to cut lightweight concrete blocks. It is familiar to a standard hand saw. But both the blade and the teeth are larger than the hand saw and have a pistol grip handle.
You can remove the blade from the handle. Blades’ length is ranging from 24.6 to 27.5 inches. The saws have 1 to 3 teeth per inch in length. For carrying dust and waste material these have deep gullets. These are designed to push stroke.
Our recommended Best Masonry Saw on Amazon:
- Powerful 7.9 AMP motor for the most demanding applications
- Special cover design prevents water from entering into motor housing
- Cuts up to 1-5/8"" at 90° and 1"" at 45°
- Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) plug
- Lock-on button for continuous operation
#16. Oscillating Saw:
Orthopedic surgeons have been using oscillating saw’s sterilized versions for decades. It is a jackknife of power tools. When you need to cut within limited space, use an oscillating saw because it’s a vibrating blade is very useful in that course.
Cutting, grinding, sanding, sawing – it can handle each one of these jobs. Carpenters, contractors, flooring, and cabinet installers hugely use this tool. This tool delivers clean results. It doesn’t spray dust as it vibrates over a narrow arc.
Those oscillating saws which have a greater oscillating angle can cut faster. You can control speed as it has a variable speed trigger.
Our recommended Best Oscillating Saw on Amazon:
- Brushless motor delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed
- Dual-Grip™ variable speed trigger gives users ultimate speed and application control
- Universal accessory adapter for use with most oscillating tool accessory brands
- Quick-Change™ accessory system allows blades and attachments to be changed quickly without wrenches
- Bright LED Light illuminates dark work surfaces for accurate cutting
#17. Pole Saw
A saw on the end of a pole is a pole saw. The name is self-explanatory. If your pole saw is powered it will take the form of a chain saw or a small powered saw. Its power source can be the mains electric, battery, or gas engine (Petrol).
In a non-powered or manual action pole saw, there is a pruning saw attached to the end of the pole. If you are a tree trimming crew, this type of saw is a great benefit for you.
Our recommended Best Pole Saw on Amazon:
- EXTENDS REACH: Ideal for cutting overhanging limbs and thin logs
- TELESCOPING: Pole extends to 8.7 ft. to provide 15 ft. of overhead reach. No Load Speed (rpm) 6000. Sound Power Level : 108 dB
- POWERFUL: 6.5-amp motor cuts branches up to 7.5-inches thick
- AUTO-LUBRICATION: 8-inch cutting bar and chain with automatic lubrication. Oil tank capacity (fluid ounce): 2.7
#18. Track Saw/Plunge Saw
When it comes to ultra-precise cuts in a straight line on a wooden object, track saws are one of the most excellent options available. It’s a modified circular saw that does the same task as the circular saw does.
But the difference between a chainsaw and a track saw is- chainsaw doesn’t go through any given guideline, and the track saw follows a specific and pre-assigned track.
The saw moves in a straight line along with the direction of the metal guide. As a benefit, you don’t have to worry about slipping or moving away from the cutting line.
To provide the guideline or track-line metal tracks are used in most of the track saws. For its uses, it’s also called plunge-cut saw or plunge saw as well.
Our recommended Best Track Saw on Amazon:
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Powerful 12.0 AMP motor for optimum performance in a wide variety of materials
- Precision accurate cutting delivers a splinter free mirror finish.Construction Material:Plastic
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load for smooth cutting
- Variable speed control dial (2,000 5,200 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
Uses of Track Saw:
- Most of the time, track saws are used to make precise cuts like cross-cut, extended rip cut, rip cut, angular cuts, etc.
- If you have to slide down a large board made of wood, it’s best done with the help of a track saw.
- As long as you need a combo of precision and mobility, a track saw is a way out.
- For making long cuts of objects like plywood, MDF boards, OSB boards, hardboard, etc., track saws are used.
#19. Panel Saw
As you can see from the name, a Panel saw is a type of saw that can cut thin woods into sized parts (as for panels). This type of saw is designed for cutting large panels. It can be horizontal or vertical.
Vertical saws usually take up less floor space than horizontal ones. A horizontal panel saw is like a big table saw. A sliding feed table is attached to the saw, and it pushes the materials through the blades.
Vertical panel saw is a high and low-cost type. Panel saw is very common in sign making, cabinet making, and similar types of industry.
Our recommended Best Panel Saw on Amazon:
- 3-HP WORM DRIVE MOTOR: Rotates in carriage to perform rip cuts.
- HEAVY-DUTY WELDED ONE-PIECE STEEL FRAME: Prevents vibration and ensures solid support.
- DUAL 4" DUST PORTS WITH NYLON BRUSH: Front and rear dust exhaust.
- TRUE COUNTERWEIGHT SYSTEM: Keeps the carriage where you position it while loading stock.
- POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL GUIDE TUBES: Provide smooth carriage glide.
When you are interested in woodworking or towards the jobs where the need to use a saw, then you have to have a clear concept of different types of saws. Which saw is suitable for which task, is very important to know.
After reading this article, I think you have gained much knowledge about different saw types. Now you can choose the one for you to use on your project.
For any suggestions, comment below.
#1. Different Types of Sander with their uses