Table of Contents
FramingNailersGuide is reader-supported. If you buy an item through the links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more
Last Updated on January 15, 2023 by John Patterson
If you want to work smarter rather than harder, using a cant hook or peavey is something you should consider while dealing with logs.
No doubt about that.
Whether rolling an extensive log or a small piece of wood, you won’t want to bend too often and cause a back injury.
High-quality cant hooks and peavey will do the job for you.
I know you are well aware of that, and that’s why you planned to find the best cant hooks and peaveys online; eventually landed on this page.
Fortunately, you are in the right place.
I understand it’s pretty overwhelming to find the heavy-duty cant hooks and peavey out of so many options. But let me do the legwork for you.
In this article, I’ve shortlisted and written down six cant hooks and peaveys reviews mentioning both benefits and pitfalls of each tool.
When you are finding cant hooks or peaveys, you might want to consider the following-
- The length of the handle.
- The grip.
- The longevity, strength, and capability of biting the log correctly.
- The price of the tool, so and so forth.
I’ve taken those into consideration and some more.
Without any further ado, let’s begin.
|Name||Brand||Weight||Product Dimensions||Item Package Quantity|
|LogRite 60"||LogRite||9.95 lbs||59.8 x 8.2 x 2.5 inches||1|
|Woodchuck Dual Peavey||Woodchuck Tool||13 pounds||10 x 2 x 48 inches||1|
|LogOX 3-in-1 Forestry Multitool||LogOX||12 pounds||28.74 x 9.598x 5.799 inches||3|
|1944 Earth Worth Peavey Point||Earth Worth||8.43 pounds||49 x 18 x 1 inches||1|
|Ironton Wooden Handle Cant Hook||Ironton||11 lbs||39.37 x 39.37 x 19.69 inches||1|
|Wood-Mizer Steel Cant Hook||Wood-Mizer||10 pounds||48 x 6 x 2 inches||1|
6 Best Cant Hook & Peaveys – Detailed Review
#1. LogRite 60″ Heavy-duty Cant Hook Review
- LogRite CH060 Standard Series Cant Hook is 60"...
- The longer length of the cant hooks in this...
- Constructed from lightweight aircraft aluminum...
- Comfortable rubber handle grip and bright blue...
- Made in the USA.
- It features a relatively long rubber grip that gives you enough control in dealing with the hook.
- It’s genuinely easily locatable because of the bright blue color.
- This hook is quite long (60”) to efficiently support the tall guys.
- You can expect a strong bite from this hook.
- It doesn’t weigh much, either.
- The overall build is quite strong.
- No doubt, it will last for a long.
- This one is handy for rolling both small and big logs.
- The parts are perfectly fitted, and the lever is thick enough to provide stability and control.
- It’s well worth the price.
- It’s slightly on the higher side regarding the price. But as I said, it’s still worth buying, considering the quality and stability it features.
- The shoe and the hook need to be sharpened after purchase to get the best result.
This LogRight cant hook is another real back saver for you while working at your job site or wherever you need to turn and move the logs. It’s also made in America, so, no doubt about the authenticity of this hook.
It’s 60” long, and the handle diameter is 1.75”. The handle is made from high-end aluminum. You can efficiently deal with about 25’ or above logs with a diameter of 28”-30” or even more.
Whether you are a hobbyist, woodworker, or professional, this cant hook is right on the money to make everyone happy.
If you want to avoid back injury, this cant hook is one of the best bangs for the buck.
#2. Woodchuck Dual Peavey Point and Cant Hook Review
- Peavey point retracts into the handle and helps...
- Rolls logs up to 30 inches, lifts up to 20 inches
- Can easily add optional log jack stand that slips...
- 47" handle is constructed of 6061-T6 aluminum and...
- Lifetime Warranty and Made in the USA
- It works both as a peavey and a cant hook.
- This particular tool is not too heavy.
- You can deal with both small and large logs with this tool.
- It’s a sturdy and tough tool; it’s built like a tank, I must say.
- The hook has dual teeth to offer a sharp bite.
- The lever is made from high-quality aluminum and powder-coated steel.
- The retractable peavey point lets you free the frozen logs by staking them into the ground.
- You can buy it at an affordable price.
- Easy to use
- The grip could have been more oversized.
- Had this tool been a bit longer, it would have been handier for a tall guy. However, even if you are about 6’1,” you will still get enough leverage.
This heavy-duty tool is a double peavey point and cant hook. That means you are getting adequate control while moving the logs.
Regarding the quality, I must say it’s a good tool made in America.
You can go for either the one with a jack or no jack both without hurting your pocket.
The handle length of this cant hook & peavey is about 47”.
With this tool, you can quickly turn and move a 20’ log that is 30” round or even more without any hassle whatsoever.
To save your back, this is undoubtedly a versatile and likely long-lasting tool to consider.
#3. LogOX 3-in-1 Forestry Multitool Review
- OUTSTANDING VALUE & INVESTMENT - Backyard or...
- Patented & Made in USA, the LOGOX 3-IN-1 FORESTRY...
- PICKOX ATTACHMENT – Add to the 3-in-1’s Cant...
- HAULER HOLSTER – Custom-designed holster allows...
- CARRYOX BAG - Heavy duty,18 oz., natural cotton...
- You are getting three major woodworking helping tools at a super affordable price.
- It’s easy to use and provides enough leverage and flexibility.
- A great set of tools to deal with smaller logs. No doubt, it’s a good suit for larger logs too.
- Lifting the cutting edge of the log is the most straightforward job with this multitool.
- It’s suitable for both tall and short people.
- Assembling and disassembling the tools (notably the timber jack) is as easy as pie.
- It’s pretty sturdy and rugged.
- The ergonomic design allows you to work without bending.
- You can easily transport the tools because of their compact size.
- The quality tells us it will last long.
- The company entirely stands behind their customers.
- The cant hooks handle needed to be longer than what it is to provide more support to tall people.
- The grip could have been longer.
This LogOX 3-in-1 tool is another handy multitool set for turning and moving small and large logs effortlessly. It is made in the USA too.
You can make a log hauler, cant hooks, and timber jack with the kit. So, you are paying about ⅓ of the price of buying three separate tools.
The cant hook and timber jack will be 38” long, and the log hauler will be 21”.
You can deal with various sizes of logs, like 20’ long and 36” in diameter, or more logs without any trouble.
This LogoX 3-in-1 is an excellent forestry multitool that is super affordable for what it offers.
No matter if you are young or old, this is the right tool for you to load your log trailer with ease. If you want to make woodworking a one-man job, go for this one.
#4. Earth Worth 1944 Peavey Review
- ►PROTRUDING POINT: Peavey point is perfect for...
- ►KEEP WARM: Wood handle remains warm when...
- ►LONG LASTING: Ergonomic wood handle designed...
- ►DIMENSIONS: Overall length of 49" | 18" log...
- ►DURABLE: Peavey tools are made to last and come...
- It does its job quite well.
- It’s a lightweight peavey. So, no issue in using and transporting it.
- You can choose from two packs, three packs, and four packs.
- It’s satisfactorily sturdy.
- The peavey point works well for splitting frozen logs. It sticks in the ground quite well too.
- It’s ideal for rolling large logs.
- The parts are well-fitted.
- The handle remains hot during cold weather.
- It’s super inexpensive.
- No rubber grip. It’s an entirely wooden handle. So, it might slip if your hands tend to sweat a lot.
- The handle length is quite ok but had it been like 60,” then it would have been handier to the big guys.
- Not too good for handling small logs.
This peavey has an 18” retractable opening that helps to free the frozen locks effectively. The length of the handle is 49”.
It works well to handle logs having a diameter of about 22”, although the company says it’s 18”.
If you don’t tend to sweat a lot (particularly your hands), you will have a good grip.
I suggest you go for this wooden handle peavey only if you are looking for budget options. Otherwise, you have more quality options above on my list.
Nonetheless, this one is more effective than it looks.
#5. Ironton Wooden Handle Cant Hook Review
- Durable steel hook
- Ergonomically shaped hardwood handle with...
- Handles logs with 8-10in. diameter
- It’s a heavy-duty tool that serves its purpose very well.
- This one is a perfect tool for rolling big logs.
- The parts are well-fitted.
- The handle is thick and robust, and the hook is sharp enough to give proper support.
- It’s relatively light, hence easy to transport.
- The size is convenient to store anywhere you want.
- It’s a super inexpensive tool compared to the other cant hooks on my list.
- No rubber grip. It’s an entirely wooden handle. So, it might slip if your hands tend to sweat a lot.
- Again, a longer handle would have been more helpful for big guys.
- Not perfect for handling small logs.
This Ironton wooden handle cant hook has a 48” handle and can support turning and moving big logs (practically about 24” diameter).
The last wooden tool I reviewed was a peavey, and this one is a wooden cant tool. Both are good to go, but I have the same suggestions.
Go for this cant hook only if you can’t afford the other quality hook on my list or you are a die-hard fan of a wooden handle.
Another point I must mention is this cant hook is made in China. So, again, if you are not a fan of Chinese products, you better avoid this option and go for the Logrite 60” cant hook or the other USA-made options I’ve listed here.
#6. Wood-Mizer Steel Cant Hook Review
- Built in the USA
- Durable Steel Handles and Hooks
- Comfortable Rubber Grip Improves Log Handling...
- Industrial-Grade Powder Coat Orange Paint for...
- Extra Teeth Provide Better Grip
- American-made, top-notch quality
- User-friendly handle
- Lightweight, only 10 Pounds
- Ergonomically Designed
- Multiple Lengths for Multiple Uses
- Durable & Long Lasting
- Comfortable Rubber Grip
- Low-quality paint
Ever had a hard time picking up logs?
We know you’ve been looking for the perfect tool to make your life easier. Well, we have the best solution for you! This steel cant hook is made of durable hardened steel with an extra set of teeth so it can bite into any log and not let go.
It also has a comfortable rubber grip, so you don’t need to worry about getting blisters or calluses from carrying heavy logs all day.
You deserve to be able to work without worrying about how much weight is in each hand, which is why Wood-Mizer steel cant hooks are designed specifically for this purpose. They’re lightweight yet strong enough to hold even the heaviest logs – no matter what size they may be!
And best of all, these hooks come at affordable prices that fit any budget. So, what are you waiting for? Get one today and see just how easy your job becomes!
Do you know what a pain in the ass is? Logging.
But you know what isn’t a pain in the ass? The Wood-Mizer Steel Cant Hook!
It has teeth on the end of its handle for better grip, and it comes with an orange paint job so you can see where your logs are going. Plus, this bad boy is made right here in America.
If you want to make logging less of a chore, get yourself one of these steel cant hooks today! They come in three different lengths, and they all have that sweet American-made quality we can’t live without. You won’t regret it – I promise.
Logging is hard work.
But it doesn’t have to be a pain in the neck. This steel cant hook is designed for easy use, with a rubber grip and extra teeth on the end of the handle for better gripping power. And they’re built-in America!
You’ll never want to return to your old wood hook again once you’ve tried this Steel Cant Hook!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question #1. How to use a cant hook?
Answer: If you want to grab the log better or wish to have a sharp bite, then a cant hook is better than a peavey.
Using a cant hook is so easy. At first, you have to put it on the log and push it to the hook to bite the wood firmly.
Then drag the log; that’s it. It’s that simple.
You don’t always need to hook it up in the middle; you can hook it at any point you find it best on the log.
When you want to use it to raise the log from the ground to cut it with the saw, hook it up and flip it over. This way, you can keep your saw’s chain from touching the ground—[Please note, in this process, you need a log stand attachment with the cant hook.
Question #2. What is the difference between a Peavey and a Cant hook?
Answer: A peavey and cant hook look almost similar, having a slight difference in construction. Of course, that difference also creates a fine line in terms of usage. Despite that subtle difference, you can use them interchangeably, by the way.
Let me explain.
Both tools have a lever or handle and a hook. The dissimilarity is at the end of the handle.
The peavey has a point on the handle used to test the log for soundness, split the wood, stick it on the ground, etc. The woodworkers prefer a peavey to deal with larger logs.
You can use a peavey to split frozen logs effortlessly.
On the other hand, the cant hook has a small hook on the handle. So, you are getting a stronger bite from the cant hook with the help of two hooks.
Typically you will want to deal with small or medium logs with a cant hook. However, you can also roll and move large logs using a cant hook, too—no complicated rules.
Question #3. What is a cant hook used for?
Answer: A cant hook is widely used in sawmills and among other hobbyist woodworkers.
The core objective of using a cant hook is to turn and roll the log effortlessly without bending. This saves your back from possible injury and saves your time too.
A cant hook is preferred to a peavey when getting a stronger bite is more important than anything else.
In a nutshell, you must choose the right tool based on your needs when dealing with logs.
You might go for either cant hook or peavey; picking the best cant hooks & peaveys is vital considering your height and preference.
You won’t mind keeping both of these tools as they offer more than they cost. All of these are durable tools too.
A friendly reminder, from the above five top-notch tools, go for the wooden handle ones only if you find some budget options.
Otherwise, the Woodchuck dual peavey, LogRite cant hook, and LogOX 3-in-1 multi-tools are the ones you should go for to get the best performance.
Let me know what you think.