Table of Contents
FramingNailersGuide is reader-supported. If you buy an item through the links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more
Last Updated on March 27, 2021 by John Patterson
Like any other product, you will want to buy a high-quality microscope from the best brand, no doubt about it.
With that said, it’s a hard task to shortlist the best brands among so many manufacturers around the globe.
It’s mainly the marketing stunt by the companies that leads you to a whole confusing world.
I understand the dilemma. That’s the reason I wanted to list down the 10 microscope brands out of many other good manufacturers.
You can choose any of the following brands. All of them offer high-quality microscopes, and they are in the industry from the year dot.
Don’t miss out on the FAQ section to get the answer to the questions you might have had before coming to this article.
So, let’s get to the business.
Best Microscope Brands 2021: Top Microscope Manufacturers
Nikon is dominating the market for more than 104 years now (it was founded in 1917). So, I think, I don’t have to prove anything about their experience and user acceptance anymore.
Well, they are famous in the imaging product industry without any doubt whatsoever. But did you know about their other categories of products?
Besides imaging products, it also makes health products and solutions (microscope falls under this category), industrial metrology products, FPD lithography systems, semiconductor lithography systems, optical glass, and components, encoders, surveying instruments, customized visual equipment, etc.
When it’s about manufacturing the best microscopes, Nikon is one of the market leaders in the USA with a wide range of microscopes for different purposes.
From the educational to advanced researchers, and from the home user to the industrial user, Nikon’s microscope solution covers all of them.
Some of the leading types of microscopes from their lineup are-
- Super-resolution microscopes.
- Confocal microscope.
- Some upright microscopes for research and clinical use.
- Stereo microscope.
- Inverted microscope.
- Quality cameras for microscopy, and some more.
The reasons I recommend Nikon microscopes are –
- They maintain top-notch quality.
- Nikon’s microscopes are durable.
- Nikon is an experienced well-known brand that can produce various instruments with accuracy and precision.
- They cover the need of almost all sorts of users.
- It offers an ample range of accessories.
- The quality and usability of the product justify the price.
Carson is a famous brand in the optical industry. It’s not a 100+ year company, but it has earned an excellent reputation within a brief period.
Carson was founded in 1990. Since then, it has been manufacturing several types of products, including microscope, binocular, range finders, monoculars, night vision, magnifier, digiscoping gadgets, lens and eye care, different accessories, reading lights, mirror, tripods, covers and cases, and many more.
Regarding producing a microscope, I must admire their pocket microscopes. Carson’s pocket microscopes are an excellent option for home users. These are easy to use, compact, and portable.
Its micromini pocket microscopes fit in the palm quite nicely. They even produce a pen-shaped microscope that serves the purpose for industrial users as well as for children of several ages.
Besides pocket microscopes, Carson also produces biological microscope, digital, and smartphone microscopes. Not to mention, they have a microscope for both entry-level and advanced-level research.
The smartphone microscopes come with a smartphone adapter. Therefore, taking pictures and recording videos are as easy as pie using this type of microscope.
Like Nikon, Carson also covers various sorts of users, including students, doctors, researchers, industrial users, etc.
So, yes, Carson is a well-established brand that makes durable microscopes maintaining quality and accuracy. You can choose any of its units based on your needs. The price is reasonable too.
- Multi-Pack: Includes 4 units of the MicroBrite Plus 60x-120x Power Pocket Microscope
- LED Lighted with Aspheric Internal Lens System
- Compact, Lightweight and Portable Design
- Each microscope uses 1 AA Battery (not included)
- Backed by Carson's Limited Lifetime Warranty
Jiusion is one of the most diversified brands on this list. It makes not only the microscopes but also several other accessories, electronics, home and kitchen items, sports and outdoor wear, fashion wears, and voice recorder, etc.
The portability and usability of the microscopes are worth noting. Juision offers handheld microscopes that are compatible with both iOS and Android operating systems. Furthermore, these units also work on other desktops/laptop-based operating systems like Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
It sells microscopes for kids, students, researchers, engineers. However, it doesn’t market any microscope solution for industrial users. Most of its units are a perfect fit for fun projects.
Most of the units come with a WiFi box. So, you can record and share the specimen with ease.
Some of the units offer a big LCD, and some offer convenient support for using your smartphone to see the magnified version of the objects. One of its microscopes is IP67 rated (waterproof) too.
Altogether, if you are looking for buying some inexpensive yet useful microscopes for home use or a fun project for your kids, then Jiusion microscopes are the best bet for you.
Jiusion’s products excel in quality without any doubt. I expect them to produce more high-end microscopes for industrial users.
- Jiusion portable magnification is a useful and funny microscope for students, engineers, inventors, and others who need to magnify and explore the micro things.
- Be compatible with Mac, Window XP and above, Linux. This microscope isn't compatible with iPhone/iPad.
- This magnification only support Android smartphone which has OTG function.(How to Check OTG? Download the free app”USB OTG Checker”)
- Built-in 8 LED lights, digital microscope’s 2 adjusting knob can change the focus and brightness.
- Connected to the devices, you can use the software to record the micro world, capture screenshot and record video. Besides you can use the Windows software’s measurement function to measure the least bit.
Telmu doesn’t have the broadest range of products like other well-known brands I’ve discussed so far. With that said, I must say, they are a specialized company in producing microscopes, telescopes, binoculars, and monoculars.
Telmu is a China-based company, but any USA buyer can buy its products on Amazon. Don’t fool yourself by considering their products as low-quality products after seeing the company’s base country.
This brand produces microscopes specifically for the students at an affordable price. It comes with several necessary accessories, including a quality carrying case. This very microscope runs by 2 AA batteries, and overall it’s straightforward to use.
Besides the student microscopes, Telmu also produces an inverted microscope for live-cell imaging units suitable for beginners.
That’s not all. It produces several other models with LED Illumination microscopes for laboratory use. If you want to make your kids familiar with a new world without spending a lot of money, Telmu’s microscopes could be the go-to for you.
You will get all the necessary accessories with each of the models, and the price is surprisingly low.
- 【5 Magnification Setting 】 Rotatable objectives 4x, 10x, and 40x with eyepieces 10x, 25x giving optical microscope more magnification: 40x, 100x, 250x, 400x and 1000.
- 【Double Intensity Illmination(0.5W LED)】 The double light high power microscope has incident and transmitted LED light sources, which can see both opaque objects illuminated from above and translucent specimens illuminated from below. Can't use at the same time.(LED light source is powered by 3 1.5v AA batteries, excluding batteries).
- 【High Class Material & Fine Focusing】Metal base and sturdy handle framework won’t make microscope shake. Adjustable hand wheel let the specimen stage lift to crate a image more clearer and sharper.
- 【Sharing In Real Time】 Included cell phone adapter with eyepiece allows you to capture and record beauty all around you with smart phone. You can share pictures or videos with your families and friends in real-time.
- 【Extra Free Gift】Come with a box of microscope sliders (4 prepared slides & 6 blank slides) which include sample about animal legs, onion, wood and cotton. Please contact us if you have any problem.
AmScope is another comparatively new brand in this industry. It started its journey in 1996.
However, when it’s about producing microscopes for all sorts of users and keeping the price low, this brand is one of the reputed ones out there.
Its main motto is to deliver a quality microscope to various users, no matter what the buyer’s economic background is.
The company stands behind its warranty and customer support very well, which is another upside of this brand. You can return or exchange your purchased microscope with ease if you contact within thirty days of buying the product. So, if you feel the unit is not a good fit for you, just contact the company.
AmScope designs their microscope then manufactures and then distributes it to the market.
It makes different types of microscopes like compound microscopes, stereo microscopes, student microscopes and telescopes, digital microscopes, and industrial inspection microscopes.
I must admire their idea of producing specific microscopes for different purposes. This company makes a particular microscope for each of the following disciplines/uses –
- Medical and microbiology.
- Medical and veterinary, and many more.
AmScope’s microscopes vary in head type, camera, light type, lighting configuration, magnifying power, magnifying type, light shape, etc.
So, it’s crystal clear that AmScope is one of the top companies on my list that offers a wide range of best microscopes for various users. No issue with the quality too.
- Professional stereo microscope with boom arm has long working distance to enables users to perform work or manipulate large items, including circuit boards and dental appliances
- Binocular viewing head with interchangeable pairs of 10x and 20x widefield eyepieces, adjustable interpupillary distance, and fixed 30-degree vertical inclination to reduce eye and neck strain
- 1x objective provides low magnification and longer focal length for inspecting large-scale specimens
- Adjustable gooseneck LED light enables users to direct the light where needed
- 9" vertical working distance and adjustable 12" boom arm enables users to adjust the microscope on the X- and Y-axes
Celestron has been in the industry since the year dot. It was founded in 1960 by an electronics engineer Tom Johnson.
The company started its journey by producing telescopes and was continuously improving the telescope industry with innovation and perfection.
Later in 2008, Celestron released its first digital microscope. Moreover, the company makes biological microscopes, stereo microscopes, lab-based compound microscopes, and different microscope accessories.
Among those types, Celestron has the highest number of digital microscopes in the line.
Its digital microscopes have some cool features that I must mention. Some of the microscopes feature LCD, some are handheld units, and some are micro-unit featuring portability at its best.
Besides telescopes, and microscopes this brand also manufactures sports optics like binoculars, monoculars, spotting scope, solar scope, outdoor electronics like a torch, sport optics accessories, etc. In 2014 it introduced the built-in WiFi control telescope that connects to smartphones.
Besides WiFi technology, Celestron implemented several other technologies over the years. For instance, the EdgeHD optics, LiFePO4, CPWI, StarSense technology, safe solar filter, nexRemote technology, and many more.
As a whole, Celestron is a well-established brand in making all these instruments maintaining top-quality with accuracy and precision. Their innovation and dedication to serving all sorts of a user is something I must applaud.
- True 5MP sensor to capture and save high resolution images and videos of your specimens
- 5 Element IR cut high quality glass lens ensures sharper images. Shutter Speed 1 second to 1/1000 second
- 20x to 200x powers, great for low power observation of 3D specimens (Note: Final magnification determined by monitor size)
- 4 foot USB 2.0 cable for easy maneuverability when viewing large surfaces
- Intuitive software with measuring features
Leica Microsystem is also an old company that was founded in 1869. Since its birth, this brand has been earning a reputation for doing precision work and implementing innovative technologies.
This company is one of the masters in manufacturing microscopes. It produces light microscopes, stereo microscopes, thunder imaging systems, surgical microscopes, confocal microscopes, digital microscopes, microscope software, optical coherence tomography, etc.
That means it’s quite evident that Leica offers microscopes for various types of users, from students to industrial researchers.
Leica works with the medical and scientific community to fine-tune the products and makes it acceptable for those users. In other words, they brush up their products and release new versions not only based on their expertise but also based on user feedback.
The ergonomic handle design of every of their product makes them stand out without any doubt. Moreover, Leica is serious about image quality, accuracy, precise, and fast results, and of course, cost-effectiveness.
You can optimize the microscope based on your requirements quite effortlessly. Altogether, Leica is a reliable brand that produces the best microscopes for every type of user, including students, industrial users, laboratory research, medical purposes, and many more.
- Eagle eye in the millimeter range: 100% greater depth of field with the Leica Fusion Optics technology – easier handling, less refocusing, enormous time savings
- More room for work: Working distance of 122 mm - optimum access to the work piece and easier handling using tools
- The best illumination for every application: LED ring illuminator with removable diffuser - bright, uniform and color-neutral. Less reflection for shiny work pieces makes work pleasant
- Large object field for maximum overview: Object field size of 46 mm - ideal for production and sorting tasks
- Maximum freedom of movement: Flex-arm stand offers highest flexibility and table clamp needs minimum table space
Zeiss is an age-old company in manufacturing microscopes and optical equipment that has been doing business since the middle of the 19th century.
From the beginning, this company has been making high-precision microscopes, and after 1857, it has been producing compound microscopes for different types of users.
Currently, the headquarter of Zeiss is in Jena, Germany. However, they have a development and production house in the USA and the UK. Moreover, at present, this brand has about 24 sales and service centers in different parts of the world.
Zeiss also produces a wide variety of best microscopes, including light microscopes, laser scanning microscopes, Electron and Ion microscopes, etc.
Besides microscopes, it also manufactures an X-ray tomography solution, a camera for educational purposes, a camera for the laboratory, and last but not least, it also develops microscope software.
When it’s about providing customer support, this brand is one of the pioneers in this industry. It also won some awards for its excellence in quality and ability to manufacture an easy-to-use microscope with accurate results.
For the educational to clinical purpose, Zeiss is up to the standard in satisfying all sorts of users. Not to mention all the microscopes feature state-of-the-art technologies, and the company is continuously working for implementing some more innovative features.
Olympus is not as old as Zeiss. Nonetheless, it’s a 100+ year company now. It also has a broad-spectrum of microscopes in its product line, targeting students, clinical researchers, life science researchers, and all these.
If I want to mention the different types of Olympus microscopes precisely then here is the list –
- Inverted microscopes.
- Upright microscopes.
- Laser scanning microscopes.
- Super-resolution microscopes.
- Stereo microscope.
- Research macro zoom microscopes, etc.
This company manufactures easy-to-use instruments, maintaining top quality, and accuracy. All the units have advanced technologies installed to serve the modern world’s needs.
In addition to the microscopes, Olympus also shines in producing microscope cameras, OEM components, optics, and accessories, etc.
Olympus microscopes are available in many countries, including some third-world countries. It indicates how popular their instruments are. Had it not maintained top quality, it would not have been an easy task for them to dominate the market around the globe.
Well, Omax, as a brand, is mostly known for online retailing.
Yes, they sell microscopes, but Omax does not manufacture those. They use other manufacturers to produce those instruments for them. Of course, the manufacturers are well qualified and maintain high standards in providing all the Omax microscopes.
Although Omax doesn’t manufacture, the good thing about this online retailer is, it offers so many types of microscopes for serving different users.
This retailer offers compound microscopes, stereo microscopes, and some special microscopes. Some of their special microscopes include – soil research microscopes, inverted microscopes, darkfield, ore, shop measuring, gemology, students and kids microscopes, and some more.
Besides microscopes, this company also sells microscope accessories, loupes, and headlights. You have a vast number of options to filter the units based on useful parameters like head type, camera, lighting configuration, camera pixel, magnifying type, light type, and price.
As a whole, Omax is an excellent source of the microscope of different kinds and needs. Students love their units because of the ease of use feature and accurate results generated by these microscopes.
No question about their customer service either.
- Total magnification: 40X-80X-100X-200X-400X-800X-1000X-2000X; Eyepieces: wide field WF10X and WF20X; Objectives: achromatic DIN 4X, 10X, 40X(S), 100X(S, Oil); Viewing head: 45 degrees inclined 360 degrees swiveling binocular; Sliding adjustable interpupillary distance: 2-3/16inch ~ 2-15/16inch(55~75mm); Ocular diopter adjustable on both eyetubes
- Nosepiece: revolving quadruple; Stage: double layer X-Y mechanical stage with scales, size: 4-1/2inchx 4-15/16inch (115mm x 125mm), translation range: 2-13/16inch x 1-3/16inch (70mm x 30mm); Stage upward moving lock protects objectives and slides
- Condenser: NA1.25 Abbe condenser with iris diaphragm; Illumination: transmitted (lower) LED light, intensity adjustable; Focus: Coaxial coarse and fine knobs on both sides
- Full solid metal frame construction with stain resistant enamel finish; Power supply: AC/DC adapter, 7.5V/7.5W (UL approved) - Input: 100-240V; 100-piece blank glass slides with 100-piece cover slips and 50-sheet lens cleaning paper included
- 5-year warranty against manufacturing defects
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
#1. What is the best microscope for home use?
Answer: Well, you have many options to go for when it’s about choosing the microscope for home use. Brands like Nikon, Carson, Zeiss, AmScope, Omax produce some quality microscopes for home users.
If you want me to vote only one, then I will go for AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X. You can also take a look at the Carson microscopes as they offer quality smartphone-supported microscopes like MS-160SP and some other models. Carson also produces some cool pocket microscopes like MP-250. All these are good for use at home.
#2. What is the best microscope for students?
Answer: When you are choosing the microscope for students, it’s essential to find one microscope that offers simplicity and accuracy. No microscope is suitable for a student if you need to be a ninja to operate it.
Moreover, the microscope should support all sorts of operating systems. These will make the life of a student easier to use that unit anywhere he/she wants. Considering all these, I vote for the AmScope SE306R-PZ Forward Binocular Stereo Microscope for the students. With that said, you can also have a look at these microscopes as well –
- OMAX 40X-2000X Lab LED Binocular Microscope.
- Swift SW380T Trinocular Compound Microscope.
#3. How expensive is a microscope?
Answer: Like every other product, the price of a microscope depends on several factors. How good is the brand, the application of the microscope, the instrument quality, accuracy, etc. have a direct impact on the pricing. In general, a microscope price can vary from around $150 to $2000+. You can buy a pocket microscope spending less than $100 too.
The best way to get the real picture is to read any microscope review/comparison article or to compare the price of different brands and models from their websites or an online platform like Amazon.
#4. What microscopes are used in school?
Answer: Generally, the microscopes that are good for students are suitable for use in school too. However, a pocket microscope is not an option for schools by any means. Typically, a compound microscope is the one you should be looking for to use in school.
Between simple microscopes and compound microscopes, you should always go for a compound microscope. It’s because a simple microscope causes a significant bit of image anomaly, which is not suitable for a student to examine the specimen smoothly.
If high power Vs low power is the moot point, then go for high power ones. You have to make sure you are choosing a durable, easy to use yet effective, not too heavy, not bulky in size, quality microscope with excellent image quality.
#5. How powerful a microscope do you need to see bacteria?
Answer: At 400x magnification to 1000x magnification, it’s possible to see bacteria. Remember, you need to use a good optic for this purpose.
That’s the list of the high-quality and user-friendly microscope brands that are dominating the market at present. All of them have a solid company structure that lets them produce top-notch microscopes and market them effortlessly.
What about customer support? Well, all of them stand behind their customers quite seriously. All of them are serious about the warranty as well.
If you want me to choose the best of the best among the above ten brands on my list, I will go for Nikon. My second choice is the Zeiss. Nonetheless, it all depends on your personal preferences and requirements.
In short, you can depend on all the 10 high-quality microscope brands that I listed above.